2013 Draft Thread Part III - Squeezed Into The Top Ten

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Not only that but Junior goalies are young, and we all know goalies don't develop very young... So foreign scorers have that against them as well.

hockeyr5

Mar 8, 2009
Getting 1st overall isn't really worth it imo. Would rather just try to get 3rd overall.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Thinking about the Avalance or another team trying to get two of the top 3 picks to draft both MacKinnon and Drouin got me thinking. How did the Canucks end up with both of the Sedin twins. I couldn't remember the whole thing and now I see why, lol.

The Canucks already possessed the 3rd overall pick in the 1999 NHL Entry Draft that was used to select Henrik Sedin. They then acquired the 2nd overall pick to select Daniel as follows.

The Canucks traded Bryan McCabe and their first-round pick in 2000 or 2001 to the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for the Blackhawks' first round pick (4th overall).

The 4th overall pick acquired from the Blackhawks was then traded along with two third-round picks in the 1999 draft (75th and 88th) to the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for the Lightning's first-round pick (1st overall).

The 1st overall pick acquired from the Lightning, along with a conditional third-round pick in the 2000 draft, was then traded to the Atlanta Thrashers for the Thrashers' first-round pick (2nd overall) under the condition that then-Thrashers GM Don Waddell not select either Sedin with the first overall pick.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Avs want to trade down but It takes 2 to tango. Florida, Tampa and Nashville seem pretty ok with their drafting positions and past #6 the asking price will probably be too high.

Who's left, Carolina or Calgary ?

NJD1982

Mar 31, 2007
Calgary could make a move. Depends on how bad they want Jones or MacKinnon. Carolina doesn't strike me as the kind of team to make a move like that.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Hey guys, I stumbled on this today and thought it might interest you guys.

http://blogues.lapresse.ca/hockey-junior/2013/05/27/place-au-«combine»-de-la-lnh-a-toronto/

Marc-Olivier Roy who played for the same team as Matteau this season(Blainville in the 'Q) will apparently attend the Devils' mini-combine after the actual NHL combine.

So keep that name in mind when the draft comes.

I'm not very high on him personally, but some draft junkies see him go as high as mid 2nd round. I wouldn't touch him before the 3rd personally.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
Hey guys, I stumbled on this today and thought it might interest you guys.

http://blogues.lapresse.ca/hockey-junior/2013/05/27/place-au-«combine»-de-la-lnh-a-toronto/

Marc-Olivier Roy who played for the same team as Matteau this season(Blainville in the 'Q) will apparently attend the Devils' mini-combine after the actual NHL combine.

So keep that name in mind when the draft comes.

I'm not very high on him personally, but some draft junkies see him go as high as mid 2nd round. I wouldn't touch him before the 3rd personally.

Thanks for the heads up

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Thinking about the Avalance or another team trying to get two of the top 3 picks to draft both MacKinnon and Drouin got me thinking. How did the Canucks end up with both of the Sedin twins. I couldn't remember the whole thing and now I see why, lol.

The Canucks already possessed the 3rd overall pick in the 1999 NHL Entry Draft that was used to select Henrik Sedin. They then acquired the 2nd overall pick to select Daniel as follows.

The Canucks traded Bryan McCabe and their first-round pick in 2000 or 2001 to the Chicago Blackhawks in exchange for the Blackhawks' first round pick (4th overall).

The 4th overall pick acquired from the Blackhawks was then traded along with two third-round picks in the 1999 draft (75th and 88th) to the Tampa Bay Lightning in exchange for the Lightning's first-round pick (1st overall).

The 1st overall pick acquired from the Lightning, along with a conditional third-round pick in the 2000 draft, was then traded to the Atlanta Thrashers for the Thrashers' first-round pick (2nd overall) under the condition that then-Thrashers GM Don Waddell not select either Sedin with the first overall pick.

Burke still gets to hang his hat on that one. Unfortunately that also caused Leaf fans to expect him to get Tavares in 2009.

It's funny looking back at that draft year. The Sedins were good but not great and somehow Patrik Stefan became the favorite to go #1. Rather than take the Sedins #1 and #3, Burke managed to get a 3rd rounder from Atlanta so they could make their first pick as a franchise from the #1 spot.

60490_942713183094_3188652_n.jpg

I remember hoping Stefan panned out because we share the same birthday. A couple years ago, I had a photo cake made for me and my friend. I also added pictures of fellow 9/16 birthdates Richard Marx and Orel Hershisher. And I included a picture of Stefan whiffing on that empty net.

It's also fun to look at the pile of garbage that Tampa got for that #1 pick.

#1 = #4, #75, #88

#4 = Niklas Sundstrom, Dan Cloutier, 2000 1st rounder (Nikita Alexeev), 2000 3rd rounder

(a few weeks later)

Sundstrom + 2000 3rd rounder = Andrei Zyuzin, Bill Houlder, Shawn Burr, Steven Guolla

(~15 months later)

Zyuzin = Josef Bouwmedienne, Anton But, and Sasha Goc

(~18 months later)

Cloutier = Adrian Aucoin + 2001 2nd rounder (Alexander Polushin)

(~4 months later)

Aucoin ~ Mathieu Biron

So roughly 3 years removed from having the top pick, Tampa had virtually nothing to show for it. I suppose it wouldn't have been much better had they drafted Pavel Brendl at #1.

It's too bad, there was this article by Calgary writer Eric Francis which is no longer archived. He predicted that the Sedins would bust and that the WHL trained Pavel Brendl and Jamie Lundmark would be a superior combo for the Rangers.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Trading down for more picks is always dangerous. I'd only move down if I was confident in landing somebody in particular. I wouldn't trade down solely to add another first round pick.

There'd be some interesting names in the 20s, but moving down to #14 seems to put us out of range of the top forward prospects. Instead of Domi/Shinkaruk, we're probably talking Wennberg/Burakowsky/Mantha. Just seems like a tier drop there.

1)I don't know if it would be dependant on targeting one guy in particular or just think that there will be a selection of guys that NJ would feel happy with. I think the same can be said of Matteau last year. Obviously Lou could not be sure he would be there, but he could have a pretty good idea that anyone of a group of guys they liked would be there.

2)Well that is the question imo, is Domi and Shinkaruk a clear tier above those guys. Personally I'm nervous about the size of each. The Bleacher report breakdown(I know it's BR, and overly positive on everyone listed, but it still seemed the guy knew what he was talking about, they were fairly in depth) really shown Shinkaruk in a good light. But I also liked the breakdowns on some of the guys that followed. And a couple of those guys brought real good size and were said to have speed.

3)Given the supposed depth of this draft, is it fair to bring up deals from previous drafts, some of which did not have near the depth that this one is supposed to bring?

trading up costs to much, trading down loses a top offensive player. to be honest im quite happy with where we are. I would consider moving up 1 or 2 spots depending on whos going top 8, but I like where we are

I do like the idea of moving up, it just sounds like either Monahan or Lindholm are a tier higher.

However it also sounds like there is a ton of depth throughout the first rnd. And it's not entirely clear to me that Shinkaruk and Domi are much surer bets then some of the guys that follow.

So I'm the opposite. I don't love where we are. Just outside the big guns, and feel it might be in our interest to nab a couple picks instead a little bit later in the first(I don't want to trade to far down though).

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Thinking about the Avalance or another team trying to get two of the top 3 picks to draft both MacKinnon and Drouin got me thinking.

Do we think that is the Av's plan? Tons of stuff needs to fall in place for that to happen.

I think they just want one of the top fwd's and are hoping they can get one while acquiring an additional asset. If no worthwhile trade appears do they just draft MacKinnon?

Just sounds like no one really wants these d-men. Even teams that are devoid of blue line talent. Everyone wants a fwd.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Do we think that is the Av's plan? Tons of stuff needs to fall in place for that to happen.

I think they just want one of the top fwd's and are hoping they can get one while acquiring an additional asset. If no worthwhile trade appears do they just draft MacKinnon?

Just sounds like no one really wants these d-men. Even teams that are devoid of blue line talent. Everyone wants a fwd.

It's what some had speculated when Roy went public regarding the 1st overall. Picking a forward will always be considered the "sexy" pick. Drafting stable or all around D's are like your favorite nfl team drafting a lineman on either side of the ball, it doesn't make for an entertaining draft but it is necessary to build a winning team. That being said, I think teams from the beginning had the top 3 jumbled so I wouldn't be surprised if the Avs decided on MacKinnon over Jones.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County

Thats not a knock on the Dman that are available its a sign of how good the forwards are this year. More then anything.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Part of me thinks Roy just brought up moving.the first overall pick just to make that first impression that he is willing to do whatever it takes to improve the roster/franchise. Not sold that he really wants to trade it barring massive overpayment

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
Part of me thinks Roy just brought up moving.the first overall pick just to make that first impression that he is willing to do whatever it takes to improve the roster/franchise. Not sold that he really wants to trade it barring massive overpayment

This wouldn't surprise me either. Teams are known for this as well to try and increase interest.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012

Sounds like a good strategy. If someone makes them a proposition they can't refuse, that's great, if they keep the 1st overall, great too.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
besides Fucale, has anyone looked into any of the other goalies in this draft?

The Tri-City American's goalie Eric Comrie, is supposed to be a pretty decent goalie. Haven't seen much of him, but from the looks of it he'll probably get picked in the 2nd-3rd round. His stock might have dropped a little since he went down for the season with a hip injury in January.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I do like the idea of moving up, it just sounds like either Monahan or Lindholm are a tier higher.

However it also sounds like there is a ton of depth throughout the first rnd. And it's not entirely clear to me that Shinkaruk and Domi are much surer bets then some of the guys that follow.

So I'm the opposite. I don't love where we are. Just outside the big guns, and feel it might be in our interest to nab a couple picks instead a little bit later in the first(I don't want to trade to far down though).

I don't think Lou will be willing to fork over the pieces to move up. The only way we'd move up is probably something like Josefson+9th pick. Maybe Lou considers that if he is moving up to draft a center, because then Josefson, who might not even crack the Devils roster due to center depth, will be even more redundant with Monahan or Lindholm.

However, I just think that we are going to wind up getting one of the top six forwards. The consensus top six right now seems to be MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, Nichuskin, and Monahan.

There's a very very good chance Nichuskin falls for the Russian factor and his contractual obligations in Russia. In addition, there's a good chance that one or more of Nurse, Ristolainen, and Zadorov can jump into the top eight. As much as scouts predict and think, some teams just value players a lot more than others. Edmonton could think Zadorov is the next Pronger-esque player and pick him, while the Devils think he will be nothing more then a guy like Salvador.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Ahh I remember the combine 2 years ago. Lou said something along the lines if the Devils draft Landeskog then Landeskog owes Josefson a dinner or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad