2013 Draft Thread (Part 2) #8, 16, 38, 55, 69, (94), 129, 130, (155), 159, 189

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
What are the knocks on Zadorov?
No offensive upside? Richard Smehlik 2.0?

Just curious, thanks.
He's big and can skate but I don't think the smarts are there.

JFB... humor me
If the Sabres are drafting 9th... and the first 8 picks are:
Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, Ristolainen, Monahan, Nurse

Who are your options at #9? (assuming no trade down scenarios)
Pulock.

After that, I think I'd trade down.

JFB,

What is your impression of Mantha,

Besides his team getting smoked last night in Q action, he is a prospect who scored 50 this year and owns great size on the wing. He is older for his class but what is your opinion? Someone to target with Minnesota's pick or will he be taken beforehand?
He may end up being taken before the Minnesota pick, but he could easily fall below that too.
He's very much an enigma, similar to Armia.

As far as the Sabres go, I think I'd pass.
Skill is needed but I'm not sure I want to keep having to sacrifice all other areas for skill.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Any interest in Samuel Morin with the STL second? 6'7", nasty, mobile, left shooting D who can throw down. As long as we're on that eternal quest for a stay-at-home guy to pair off with Myers.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
Todays QMJHL Games

MacKinnon = 1 assist, +1, and 18/25 (72%) on Faceoffs
Drouin = 1 assist, +2
Fucale = 13/13 saves, earning shutout
Erne = 2 goals, 1 assist, +2, 7 Hits

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Wolves aren’t showing their teeth:
Nicholas Baptiste began his second campaign in the Nickel City by reinventing himself in the second half and playing with more urgency offensively. The results were favourable for the former sixth-overall priority selection pick, and Baptiste set career-highs in goals (21), assists (27) and points with 48.

Baptiste’s second half resurgence didn’t, however, include an upgrade in terms of physical play, one area that could still be improved.
Nicholas Baptiste (RW, 2013), Sudbury

Baptiste has been able to salvage his season in the second half by playing with far more offensive consistency .. a strong, powerful skater who is not overly graceful or fluid, yet pumps his feet hard and digs his edges into the ice .. not an overly-creative player, he can be a bit of a puck chaser in the offensive zone but when given a chance to set up below the dots, he usually makes a strong play .. can use and shift his body to get an inside track on a defender inching his way closer to the net and always has his head up to survey a play .. still needs to move his feet as he can lose focus when a play has shifted the other direction .. could make himself more serviceable by applying himself more physically and by going hard to the net and maintaining position .. lacks offensive hockey sense, which will hinder his chances playing in a top-six role .. his size, skating ability and propensity to keeping the game simple will earn him recognition as a player who is low-maintenance and can play in the bottom portion of your depth chart.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
oh well, even at #10 we should get a very good prospect

Drouin
Jones
MacKinnon
Barkov
Lindholm
Nurse
Ristolainen
Nichushkin
Shinkaruk

I would be quite happy with any of those guys

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
oh well, even at #10 we should get a very good prospect

Drouin
Jones
MacKinnon
Barkov
Lindholm
Nurse
Ristolainen
Nichushkin
Shinkaruk

I would be quite happy with any of those guys
I only see nine there though and I wouldn't classify all of them as "very good". :dunce:

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
If we pick between 8-10

Jones, Mac, Drouin, Barkov, Monahan, Lindholm, and Nurse are the 7 I'd be happy with

Of those however, at pick 8-10 I really only see Nurse, Monahan and Lindholm as a small possibility

Ristolainen, Nichushkin, Shinkaruk, and Pulock Are who Id be settled for, or meh towards.

Mantha, Erne, Zadarov, etc I would be mad we didn't trade down as those players would all be too early, or I don't really want them

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
:avs Seth Jones
:flames Nathan MacKinnon
:panthers Johathan Drouin
:bolts Aleksander Barkov
:canes Elias Lindholm
:nashville Sean Monahan
:sabres Darnell Nurse
:flyers Rasmus Ristolainen
:cbj Hunter Shinkaruk
:jets Anthony Mantha
:devils Bo Horvat
:edmonton Curtis Lazar
:stars Ryan Pulock
:coyotes Adam Erne
:isles Nikita Zadarov
:caps Frederick Gauthier
:wings Robert Haag
:cbj Max Domi
:sens Alexander Wennberg
:flames Valeri Nichushkin (could go top 10, or fall past 20)
:leafs Jason Dickenson
:sabres who do you pick here? try and get a stud goaltender in Fucale?

Last edited:

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Seems like after the first 4 picks this draft is going to be very difficult to predict. I mean a guy like Dickenson, Horvat, Nichushkin, ect could go anywhere from 7-25

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
:flyers Rasmus Ristolainen
:cbj Hunter Shinkaruk
:jets Anthony Mantha
:devils Bo Horvat
:edmonton Curtis Lazar
:stars Ryan Pulock
:coyotes Adam Erne
:isles Nikita Zadarov
:caps Frederick Gauthier
:wings Robert Haag
:cbj Max Domi
:sens Alexander Wennberg
:flames Valeri Nichushkin (could go top 10, or fall past 20)
:leafs Jason Dickenson
:sabres who do you pick here? try and get a stud goaltender in Fucale?

I don't think so. Fucale sounds like he's going to be a good one, but goaltenders are too...uncertain. If we really want a goaltender, I'd prefer getting the second- or third-best one with a 2nd rounder.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I don't think so. Fucale sounds like he's going to be a good one, but goaltenders are too...uncertain. If we really want a goaltender, I'd prefer getting the second- or third-best one with a 2nd rounder.

Who would you want in this spot? Assuming this is how the draft went (it wont)

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Who would you want in this spot? Assuming this is how the draft went (it wont)

Not sure, frankly. But I'm with the others who are of the mind that it's easier to find goaltenders later on, whereas it's tougher to find top-end players as the draft progresses.

Kerby Rychel's production has always impressed me, but I'd defer to Woodhouse and JFB and the others who know more about the prospects than I do.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
:

If that's how it went,

A) I'd want the Sabres to try and trade with either Carolina or Nashville to move up and grab Lindholm or Monahan. If we couldn't and picked Nurse, and it went how you think, or at least those players went, I'd want one of

Rychel, Domi, Hartman, Zykov, Fucale, or Morrissey

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Not sure, frankly. But I'm with the others who are of the mind that it's easier to find goaltenders later on, whereas it's tougher to find top-end players as the draft progresses.

Kerby Rychel's production has always impressed me, but I'd defer to Woodhouse and JFB and the others who know more about the prospects than I do.

My thoughts aswell, but with all the picks we have in the coming years I am not sure that adding a blue chip goalie prospect is a bad thing. Ultimately I don't think Buffalo will spend a top 60 pick on a goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad