2013 Draft Thread IV–June 30 3pm–8 16 38 52 69 129 130 143 159 189–Draft Primer in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
https://twitter.com/pdesro30/status/340877761981861888

Philippe Desrosiers
‏@pdesro30
Done with the #NHLCombine ! #hardweek Going to Buffalo tonight #teamcombine #fun
Good, I like this kid.
I suspect he didn't have a goalie coach in his ear growing up because he's very instinctive, unlike most of the goaltenders out there today.

Unofficial heights and weights, ie:
  • Drouin, Jonathan: 5’11″ Weight 187 lbs
Well, this means he's grown 3/4 of an inch or more in the last 10 months or so, which is good for any team drafting him, which will not be us unfortunately.
I know he personally thinks he will still grow more as his brother is taller, so hopefully whoever drafts him agrees and sends him back to the Q to transition back to his natural position (I also selfishly just want him back in a Moose jersey, as without him the team will dearly lack offense).

http://futureconsiderations.ca/gibson-headlines-re-entries-for-2013-nhl-draft/

With this class being touted as weak in goal, I wonder where Gibson goes the second time around?
He's had a tough go of it post-draft, so I think he gets passed up.
He's an interesting camp invite, though.

Also, I don't really understand why Goldman called it a weak crop this year.
IMO the best in years as it has a bit of everything.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I would load up at center, you can always move a center to wing.

Or what the sabres have done and move wings to center :cry: I like barkov but drouin is a natural winger who understands the game from that position. We won't have to worry about this though because they should both be long gone before we pick.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I'd be hard pressed to complain about any combination of 1st round picks that includes Lindholm. I'm fine with Santini, as well, especially as I continue to read more about him.

Also, I like that Baker seems to reason through each pick rather than just throwing a name at a team based on where they were ranked on certain draft lists.

I'll be critical of my pal.... for what reason does Calgary draft Monahan over Lindholm? The Lindholm paragraph shows that the author WANTS Lindholm. If you think that much of Lindholm, how do you mock a lesser center to a team with dire need at the position for a playmaker?

It's a good mock... but I'll bet against Lindholm being on the board at #8. I could definitely see the Sabres trading up to #5-7 for him though

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I'll be critical of my pal.... for what reason does Calgary draft Monahan over Lindholm? The Lindholm paragraph shows that the author WANTS Lindholm. If you think that much of Lindholm, how do you mock a lesser center to a team with dire need at the position for a playmaker?

It's a good mock... but I'll bet against Lindholm being on the board at #8. I could definitely see the Sabres trading up to #5-7 for him though

I thought the same thing, but weirder things have happened. I wouldn't be surprised if someone ranks Monahan over Lindholm.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

While I'd probably select Lindholm over Monahan, I think it's probably pretty close in the minds of scouts. It's tough to quantify how much of an effect Monahan's terrible team had on his numbers this season. Considering he went for 78 pts in 62 games in his 17 yr old season, one can only guess how much his numbers may have taken off had the 67s fielded a better team or traded him to one of the better OHL clubs.

I don't think Monahan-over-Lindholm is going to cause much head shaking if it happened on draft night. They're pretty close, and they both have a really good two-way game.

(I agree that it's unlikely that Lindholm is there at 8. I think Rutherford goes back to the OHL for Monahan at 5, and the Flames nab Lindholm at 6.)

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
One of the things teams must consider is the more open ice in the larger rinks for smaller European forwards. Lindholm is a talent but Calgary might choose a bigger centre who is used to shining on the smaller ice. Interestingly, I had not realized Lindholm is only a smidgeon bigger than Shinkaruk....

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
While I'd probably select Lindholm over Monahan, I think it's probably pretty close in the minds of scouts. It's tough to quantify how much of an effect Monahan's terrible team had on his numbers this season. Considering he went for 78 pts in 62 games in his 17 yr old season, one can only guess how much his numbers may have taken off had the 67s fielded a better team or traded him to one of the better OHL clubs.

I don't think Monahan-over-Lindholm is going to cause much head shaking if it happened on draft night. They're pretty close, and they both have a really good two-way game.

(I agree that it's unlikely that Lindholm is there at 8. I think Rutherford goes back to the OHL for Monahan at 5, and the Flames nab Lindholm at 6.)

I have Lindholm 5 and Monahan 7, so I would be elated with either one... still, there are 2 questionable moves that need to happen for one of them to fall in our laps :
1. Nichuskin goes top 7
2. a 2nd defensemen goes top 7

Both of those things happen in this mock, AND Calgary takes Monahan over Lindholm

that's 3 fortuitous moves in our favor...

I think Buffalo trades up, probably with Calgary again... where they are guaranteed one of Lindholm or Monahan

AirBriere48

Oct 22, 2006
I have Lindholm 5 and Monahan 7, so I would be elated with either one... still, there are 2 questionable moves that need to happen for one of them to fall in our laps :
1. Nichuskin goes top 7

Both of those things happen in this mock, AND Calgary takes Monahan over Lindholm

I think Buffalo trades up, probably with Calgary again... where they are guaranteed one of Lindholm or Monahan

If it doesn't cost significantly more, I'd prefer to trade up to 5, rather than 6, so as to guarantee Lindholm. I'd do 8 and 16 for 5.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
1. Nichuskin goes top 7

Yep, Baker definitely played out our best-case scenario to a tee, right down to Edmonton not demanding we throw them an asset in order to ensure that we get Lindholm--I understand why Baker wouldn't want to get into that stuff in a mock draft.

As I've stated in the past, if Nichuschkin goes in the top-7 and Monahan goes before Edmonton picks, I think MacTavish will try to leverage Lindholm to get another asset. In that case, I'd hope that pick 69 does the trick, we get Lindholm, he gets the defenseman he wants (or Horvat/Wennberg) and picks up an early-3rd in the process.

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
Unofficial heights and weights, ie:
  • Barkov, Aleksander: Height 6’2.5″ Weight 207.5 lbs
  • Domi, Max: Height 5’9.5″ Weight 190.7 lbs
  • Drouin, Jonathan: 5’11″ Weight 187 lbs
  • Erne, Adam: Height 6’3″ Weight 203.9 lbs
  • Horvat, Bo: Height 6’0.5″ Weight 211 lbs
  • Lazar, Curtis: Height 6’0″, Weight 191.2 lbs
  • MacKinnon, Nathan: Height 6’0.5″ Weight 190.3 lbs
  • Monahan, Sean: Height 6’2.5″ Weight 188.8 lbs
  • Nichushkin, Valeri: Height 6’4″ Weight 205 lbs
  • Shinkaruk, Hunter: Height 5’10.5″ Weight 172.5 lbs

HOLY ****, Erne is now 6'3?!?!?!?!? I want him now even more than I did before.

Also like the size on Barkov and Monahan.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
HOLY ****, Erne is now 6'3?!?!?!?!? I want him now even more than I did before.

Also like the size on Barkov and Monahan.
I'm pretty sure the Erne one is an oversight or typo because if you go to the combine thread, you'll see some sheets that had him listed at 77" which is nuts .. he never looked that big on the ice and as I said there, per photos, he's likely 6'0.5" to 6'1":

1297423549313_ORIGINAL.jpg

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
:laugh: He's been Lupulized. :laugh:

Nic Petan ‏@petan19 16m
Buffalo airport with @OBjorkstrand #endisnear
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Your taking his tweets wrong.. the " I guess" was referring to being so tired he doesnt know where he is. "END is near" referring to the process.

SuperNintendoChalmrs

Jun 28, 2002
Buffalo
I am sure there are certainly more players, but this is the list I have of attendees I have seen online anyway...

Elias Lindholm
Sean Monahan
Adam Erne
Kerby Rychel
Nic Petan
Curtis Lazar
Robert Hagg
Mirco Mueller
Emile Poirier
Kurt Etchegary
Justin Bailey
Oliver Bjorkstrand
Spencer Martin
Alex Wennberg
Steve Santini
Dylan Labbe
Phillip Desrosiers

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Can we agree that if we miss out on MacKinnon, Barkov, Drouin, Nichushkin, Lindholm, and Monahan its a fail?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Heavily disagree with Lindholm over Drouin. Drouin is clearly the better prospect and you're overrating based on position.

No I'm not. Massive assumption on your part that I value Lindholm over Drouin based on position (Surprise! HF Boards).

I read too fast and didn't see that Drouin didn't go third to Tampa Bay. At that point the choice was Barkov and Lindholm.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Can we agree that if we miss out on MacKinnon, Barkov, Drouin, Nichushkin, Lindholm, and Monahan its a fail?

No, to me it'd just mean the "best case scenario" didn't happen. It'd be a matter of good fortune if one of those guys fall to us. If not, there are still very good options, starting with Ristolainen.

This of course doesn't account for a lack of trading up, which in my mind generally shouldn't be held against a team, but it's understandable if you feel differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad