2013 Draft Thread IV–June 30 3pm–8 16 38 52 69 129 130 143 159 189–Draft Primer in OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Really, really want this guy:

Looks like Nick Backstrom just way more tenacious on the puck. If he's still around at 5-7, I hope they make a move to jump up a few spots to get him.

Edit: Not sure why the link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4x9D3uRqEU) isn't working...

Love that he is a high skill. high IQ guy that also plays the body well and often. Initiates a lot of contact, esp. on backcheck.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Logan Nelson was there, as was Ullmark.

Lepkowski and Navin two years ago.

Looking for my lists now...

Can't find it...could only find the list of players we brought in after the combine for interviews last year....not sure if accurate...

Morgan Rielly
Brady Vail
Cody Ceci
Matt Finn
Adam Pelech
Justin Kea
Tom Wilson
Scott Kosmachuk
Derrick Pouliot
Malcom Subban
Those names sound right to me.

Nikita Zadorov, London
I've seen Zadorov partnered with Maatta and later Sefton. I'd add that he regularly jumps into the rush, as his skating/reach allow him to recover quickly. However, he's also prone to some lapses (giveaways, over-commits, failed clears) and, in my viewings, lost position in front (allowing opponents in behind him).

You'd hate him at 8, because there are 4 guys you'd prefer (that puts Zadarov at 12)... but you wouldn't love getting your #12 at #16?
I think he meant there are four D he'd put ahead of Zadorov, plus some forwards.

[UPDATED] Confirmed for Buffalo combine: Bailey + Erne + Etchegary + Hagg + Labbe + Lindholm + Martin + Monahan + Mueller + Petan + Poirier + Rychel + Santini + Wennberg + 61 or so others

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I am quite sure that Curtis Lazar is in Buffalo.

Also Mirco Mueller is a guy who could very well end up a top 15 pick when its all said and done.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I am quite sure that Curtis Lazar is in Buffalo.

Also Mirco Mueller is a guy who could very well end up a top 15 pick when its all said and done.

I think he goes in the back end of the 1st round or early second. I think columbus or calgary in the back end or Florida / Tampa in the second. BUT with that being said it only takes one to fall in love with him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yes, and even more so for someone who is going to be a professional athlete. As long as he did good on the cardio tests I guess the fat doesn't matter as much.

A) You can't tell from that picture.

B) He's far from a finished product.

C) He's young.

Honestly, there is a case to be made for kids that don't have it all together at this age and have physical upside versus kids with a "man's body" when they are drafted and will have a harder time improving their physical makeup.

Now the question is whether they lack the work ethic to be better physically, or is it an access to better coaching and facilities....

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
A) You can't tell from that picture.

B) He's far from a finished product.

C) He's young.

Honestly, there is a case to be made for kids that don't have it all together at this age and have physical upside versus kids with a "man's body" when they are drafted and will have a harder time improving their physical makeup.

Now the question is whether they lack the work ethic to be better physically, or is it an access to better coaching and facilities....

I hope the scouts can determine that before the draft. As they seem to have dropped the ball with Myers on that one. =/

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Adam Erne looks chubby and he finished 3rd at the VO2Max test.

image.jpg

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I hope the scouts can determine that before the draft. As they seem to have dropped the ball with Myers on that one. =/

I think that is being harsh with Myers.

Tyler is far from the only player that wasn't in premier shape coming out of the lockout. And it does appear that the wake up call that Myers received has clicked to the point that he admits he needs to work harder this offseason.

Plus, that is one of the hardest things to project and why drafting 17 & 18yos is a crapshoot so often.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Unofficial heights and weights, ie:
  • Barkov, Aleksander: Height 6’2.5″ Weight 207.5 lbs
  • Domi, Max: Height 5’9.5″ Weight 190.7 lbs
  • Drouin, Jonathan: 5’11″ Weight 187 lbs
  • Erne, Adam: Height 6’3″ 6'1" Weight 203.9 lbs
  • Horvat, Bo: Height 6’0.5″ Weight 211 lbs
  • Lazar, Curtis: Height 6’0″, Weight 191.2 lbs
  • MacKinnon, Nathan: Height 6’0.5″ Weight 190.3 lbs
  • Monahan, Sean: Height 6’2.5″ Weight 188.8 lbs
  • Nichushkin, Valeri: Height 6’4″ Weight 205 lbs
  • Shinkaruk, Hunter: Height 5’10.5″ Weight 172.5 lbs

Last edited:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Unofficial heights and weights, ie:
  • Barkov, Aleksander: Height 6’2.5″ Weight 207.5 lbs
  • Domi, Max: Height 5’9.5″ Weight 190.7 lbs
  • Drouin, Jonathan: 5’11″ Weight 187 lbs
  • Erne, Adam: Height 6’3″ Weight 203.9 lbs
  • Horvat, Bo: Height 6’0.5″ Weight 211 lbs
  • Lazar, Curtis: Height 6’0″, Weight 191.2 lbs
  • MacKinnon, Nathan: Height 6’0.5″ Weight 190.3 lbs
  • Monahan, Sean: Height 6’2.5″ Weight 188.8 lbs
  • Nichushkin, Valeri: Height 6’4″ Weight 205 lbs
  • Shinkaruk, Hunter: Height 5’10.5″ Weight 172.5 lbs

Players seem bigger, faster, stronger every year.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Bakes goes Lindholm and Santini in his mock draft .. I'm down with that.
#8 BUFFALO – Elias Lindholm
C, 6’, 181 lbs. (Brynas, Sweden)
An impeccable skater with a “total package” skill set, Lindholm’s world-class vision, instincts and two-way commitment provide game-changing elements for any team to build around. The creative six-footer motors in and out of traffic seeking opportunity, but more importantly plays the game hard in all situations with the intangible traits to bring out the best in his mates.
#16 BUFFALO (from Minnesota) – Steven Santini
D, 6’2”, 207 lbs. (USA U-18 Team)
Named best defenseman at the IIHF U18 World Championship (past winners include Brent Seabrook, Erik Karlsson, Ryan Suter, Kevin Shattenkirk, Adam Larsson, and Cam Fowler), Santini’s well-rounded skill set helps solidify the Sabres’ future defensive core. The draft is all about projecting players three-to-five years down the road, and the right-handed Boston College commit already stands out with his impressive skating, open-ice hitting and keen shutdown acumen.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Heavily disagree with Lindholm over Drouin. Drouin is clearly the better prospect and you're overrating based on position.

I would take Barkov over Drouin and Jones if i had the option.

Lindholm would be 6th after Nichushkin IMO.

AirBriere48

Oct 22, 2006
Does anyone know what the process is for getting tickets to the draft? I've searched quite a bit and can't seem to get a straight answer. I live in New York and would definitely take the short train ride to Newark for the day.

Edit: nevermind, looks like a lottery system. Hmm - I entered my info; I wonder what the odds are. If others are interested, here is the link: http://devils.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=88814

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Pretty much ideal.

I'd be hard pressed to complain about any combination of 1st round picks that includes Lindholm. I'm fine with Santini, as well, especially as I continue to read more about him.

Also, I like that Baker seems to reason through each pick rather than just throwing a name at a team based on where they were ranked on certain draft lists.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I would take Barkov over Drouin and Jones if i had the option.

Lindholm would be 6th after Nichushkin IMO.

If barkov and drouin are on the board last year I take barkov ..this year I take drouin. We need wingers with high end talent in the worst way..if darcy doesn't thing grigs and hodgson is an acceptable 1-2 then barkov may be the choice.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
If barkov and drouin are on the board last year I take barkov ..this year I take drouin. We need wingers with high end talent in the worst way..if darcy doesn't thing grigs and hodgson is an acceptable 1-2 then barkov may be the choice.

I would load up at center, you can always move a center to wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad