2013 CBJ Training Camp Thread (1/13-1/18)

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
And are you going to be the one who determines whether someones "opinion" is an educated one or not? Just asking.

Oh please....

Ok, what the hell. Absolutely. Read the context earlier responses and decide what you will.

Either way, it's the same crap ever year. Unlike many, I want to see what happens before I judge or make roster recommendations.

Fred Glover

Chief of Sinners
Nov 17, 2007
Ohio
So many questions but I, for one, am excited for hockey again. I'm pissed at both parties but I love hockey and simply can't wait. I'm one of the suckers they know will come back no matter what. :)

As for the team, I'm OK with Jenner getting a look but think he'll finish the year in Junior. I also think there is a good chance that Johan stays in Springfield. He's playing top line minutes as a center (getting 20+ per night as I understand it) and that would be good for his development. Granted he's played in the NHL so I have no problem if he is up with the big club. Camp will decide I'm sure but I do like that he's playing top minutes at center right now. JD seems hell bent on development and continuing to strengthen the system and young players. Here's how I could see this working out:

Umberger - Brassard - Atkinson
Foligno - Anisimov - Dubinsky
Prospal - Letestu - Dorsett
Boll - MacKenzie - Fehr (sign as UFA)

extra - Gillies, Russell

Wisniewski - Johnson
Nikitin - Tuytin
Moore - Auoin

extra - Prout

Bobrovsky
Mason

Obviously signing a guy like Fehr is a crap shoot. I was looking for some more size in the lineup and someone that could theoretically play in multiple situations. Doubt it happens but just throwing it out there.

Will be interesting that's for sure.... I just hope it doesn't take too long to get good hockey happening.

I love the idea of putting Donald Fehr on a line, as he knows how to get under someone's skin:sarcasm:

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
I myself want to see the best team out there. Positions are won or lost in training camp. I would hope age or experience would not contribute to one's making the team.

bizzz*

:laugh:
Is that supposed to be a bad thing? Martin Hanzal plays a huge role for the Yotes without putting up big numbers, and Artem did put up some nice looking numbers next to Dubi and Callahan not too long ago. I don't see how Brassard can be seen so far ahead of him in your eyes.

The last game Anisimov played 14 minutes for Loko. Good luck with your belief that he can be a 1st line center in the NHL. He couldn't score a point in 5 of his last 6 KHL games. At the Channel One Cup he was centering 4th line for a reason. And I really like the guy. He was good mentor for Plotnikov and Galimov, but he just doesn't possess those neccessary skills.

http://instagram.com/p/UJiHDZr_Wl/

Puts to rest my fears of Anisimov staying over there. Good news.

He couldn't stay in the KHL anyway. But the words at the bottom of the picture aren't so exciting for the NHL fans: "Thank you, guys, good luck in the NHL, and we're always waiting for you back to your hometown team".

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'm going to try something new. Let JD worry about who should be on the roster. I'll root for whatever team he assembles.

bizzz*

the reason, namely: Evgeni Malkin, Pavel Datsyuk, Alexei Tereschenko. whoopty doo, 4th line.
and at the Karjala Cup he was centering 1st line. what of it?
Well, Alexei Tereschenko is not exactly a superstar.
And now compair the team results at the Karjala Cup and Channel One Cup.
With Anisimov as a 1st line center: 3rd place, goals differincial 5-6.
With Anisimov as a 4th line center: 1st place, goals differincial 14-2.
He scored 1 point in 6 games for team Russia. Yeah, put him on the 1st NHL line...

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Umberger - Anisimov - Dubinsky
Prospal - Brassard - Atkinson
Foligno - Letestu - Dorsett
Gillies - Mackenzie - Boll
Russell

Johnson - Wisniewski
Tyutin - Nikitin
Moore - Aucoin
Erixon

Bobrovsky
Mason

I'd swap Brass with Anisimov and swap Foligno with Prospal if Vinny doesn't have his game legs yet. Otherwise, that's the best job with what we have. Weak first line (not your fault). Note: I'll root for whoever JD puts on the roster. How the roster is used? I can't give that up so easily. ;)

Last edited:

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Well, Alexei Tereschenko is not exactly a superstar.
And now compair the team results at the Karjala Cup and Channel One Cup.
With Anisimov as a 1st line center: 3rd place, goals differincial 5-6.
With Anisimov as a 4th line center: 1st place, goals differincial 14-2.
He scored 1 point in 6 games for team Russia. Yeah, put him on the 1st NHL line...

Well if Artie is on the first line the rest of the team probably werent world beaters. Too many variables lets wait until camp and see what happens shall we?

bizzz*

Well if Artie is on the first line the rest of the team probably werent world beaters. Too many variables lets wait until camp and see what happens shall we?

They had Kuznetsov and Tarasenko. I don't know if you could call them a world beaters, but they're top-5 prospects in the world. Anyway, Anisimov is a great player to have around, I just can't see him as a first line center, even for Loko he played less minutes than Kalyuzhny.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
They had Kuznetsov and Tarasenko. I don't know if you could call them a world beaters, but they're top-5 prospects in the world. Anyway, Anisimov is a great player to have around, I just can't see him as a first line center, even for Loko he played less minutes than Kalyuzhny.

I'd have to agree, I dont think Artie is a long term 1st line C but we dont have one so we'll have to develop one i.e. Johan. Brassard and Artie can fill our top 6 C duties for now until Johansen is ready. I expect good things from both our top lines more of a 2A and 2B approach just from looking at our players. We'll see how it pans out.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
And Brassard with Atkinson talk again? Probably the last two guys I would put together in the top six unless Brassard really takes a leap forward. No evidence of that last season.

We have a lot of options, the line combo's I am seeing really don't strike me as the most competitive lineup we could ice.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
And Brassard with Atkinson talk again? Probably the last two guys I would put together in the top six unless Brassard really takes a leap forward. No evidence of that last season.

We have a lot of options, the line combo's I am seeing really don't strike me as the most competitive lineup we could ice.

I seem to remember Brass playing pretty well towards the end of the season with Cam and RJ. But hey we'll see what Richards does and if they play together maybe they will pick up where they left off.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I seem to remember Brass playing pretty well towards the end of the season with Cam and RJ. But hey we'll see what Richards does and if they play together maybe they will pick up where they left off.

You and I have very differing opinions on what is "pretty well" based on posting history and this example. IMO he preformed adequately for a team with nothing to lose. There was no pressure on him. Sticking a player like he was with Atkinson at this time in his development is a mistake IMO based on what I have seen of Brassard in the past. Brassard earned a reprieve from my "wrath" last season with him more competitive play, but has a LONG way to go before I put any trust in him with a key role. I still don't want a young player playing with him. There are far better options for Atkinson to leave from.

We have way too many good, competitive players to be excited about that pairing at this point.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
You and I have very differing opinions on what is "pretty well" based on posting history and this example. IMO he preformed adequately for a team with nothing to lose. There was no pressure on him. Sticking a player like he was with Atkinson at this time in his development is a mistake IMO based on what I have seen of Brassard in the past. Brassard earned a reprieve from my "wrath" last season with him more competitive play, but has a LONG way to go before I put any trust in him with a key role. I still don't want a young player playing with him. There are far better options for Atkinson to leave from.

We have way too many good, competitive players to be excited about that pairing at this point.

Fair enough. You have a point about Brassard, he tends to do nothing for the majority of first halves of seasons. Hopefully he'll end that phase and be more consistent. As for Atkinson, I think he could be paired with anyone and be effective as long as hes in the top 6.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Fair enough. You have a point about Brassard, he tends to do nothing for the majority of first halves of seasons. Hopefully he'll end that phase and be more consistent. As for Atkinson, I think he could be paired with anyone and be effective as long as hes in the top 6.

Good news is that the first half of season is over. Brass should be on fire. :sarcasm:

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
“@FriedgeHNIC: NHL sends memo to clubs indicating no camps before Saturday (and may not open until Monday), 48-game season to begin Jan. 19”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad