2013 Bridgeport SoundTigers Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
If you guessed how many fights jethro had in his career I bet your number is off by double. He had few fights in his career as to what his reputation would have us believe. Career regular season 47 fights.most in any one regular season 6.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
If you guessed how many fights jethro had in his career I bet your number is off by double. He had few fights in his career as to what his reputation would have us believe. Career regular season 47 fights.most in any one regular season 6.

Gillies was a player who could fight, not unlike Shanahan and Neely. He was one of the best defensive forwards in the game and a 30 goal scorer. He was a guy that came to play but if needed took care of business. Not too many opponents wanted to see that part of his arsenal.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Gillies was a player who could fight, not unlike Shanahan and Neely. He was one of the best defensive forwards in the game and a 30 goal scorer. He was a guy that came to play but if needed took care of business. Not too many opponents wanted to see that part of his arsenal.

Yeah, they used to say, don't wake the sleeping giant. Because it used to take a lot to rile him or piss him off, but man, when they did, he would just beat the crap out of them. Me personally, I only saw him lose two fights, both against Flyers, and both against players whom he won the rematch. Behn Wilson and Paul Holmgren. I'm sure he probably lost more, but those were the only losses I witnessed. All the rest I saw him win.

Gillies had many seasons where he didn't reach 100 penalty minutes. Most people weren't stupid enough to fight him. I remember the Bruin's series in 1980, I was there for one of the playoff games, Gillies beat O'Reilly twice in that game. Later in the series, despite Gillies destroying O'Reilly in several fights, Al Secord was stupid enough to test Gillies, and was beaten in a 1 punch knockdown.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
Yeah, they used to say, don't wake the sleeping giant. Because it used to take a lot to rile him or piss him off, but man, when they did, he would just beat the crap out of them. Me personally, I only saw him lose two fights, both against Flyers, and both against players whom he won the rematch. Behn Wilson and Paul Holmgren. I'm sure he probably lost more, but those were the only losses I witnessed. All the rest I saw him win.

Gillies had many seasons where he didn't reach 100 penalty minutes. Most people weren't stupid enough to fight him. I remember the Bruin's series in 1980, I was there for one of the playoff games, Gillies beat O'Reilly twice in that game. Later in the series, despite Gillies destroying O'Reilly in several fights, Al Secord was stupid enough to test Gillies, and was beaten in a 1 punch knockdown.

If anyone doesn't remember Gillies/Hoyda, YOUTUBE it! It is a worth watching.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
If anyone doesn't remember Gillies/Hoyda, YOUTUBE it! It is a worth watching.

I was at that game, Frankie. Hoyda took a big run at Mike Bossy, it was no contest. Back the 70's I would go to around 10 games a year, would attend every Flyers-Islanders games.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Lucic is in that Mold...I believe that Tom Wilson for the Caps can become like that as well...The real definition of a Power forward..

scott99

May 13, 2005
I was at that game, Frankie. Hoyda took a big run at Mike Bossy, it was no contest. Back the 70's I would go to around 10 games a year, would attend every Flyers-Islanders games.

Rex, a buddy of mine was at that game. He was all hyped up when he got home and told me about that fight. The scariest Gillies fight of all time is Gillies/Hospodar. Gillies actually caved in Hospodar's cheeckbone and knocked out some teeth. Just destroyed him. Funny thing is, they became teammates and friends on the Sabres, Gillies actually invited Hospodar to dinner at his house.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=EFB7F1BB0D4EA776BD59EFB7F1BB0D4EA776BD59

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Rex, a buddy of mine was at that game. He was all hyped up when he got home and told me about that fight. The scariest Gillies fight of all time is Gillies/Hospodar. Gillies actually caved in Hospodar's cheeckbone and knocked out some teeth. Just destroyed him. Funny thing is, they became teammates and friends on the Sabres, Gillies actually invited Hospodar to dinner at his house.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...&mid=EFB7F1BB0D4EA776BD59EFB7F1BB0D4EA776BD59

Talked to Hospodar about this once. Classic opener: he says "you from Long Island? I went to a pretty good dentist there once"

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere

Remember the Hospodar fight from when the game was on TV, clearly the most damage Gillies did in a fight. In the 1975 play-offs, Dave Schultz might have suffered the same fate if some of his teammates did not jump in.Thought that Schultz wasn't the same after that. I remember pictures of Terry O'Reilly's face after the 4 fights, cuts and scars all over his face. We talk about his fights but he was indeed a very skilled player first and foremost, very underrated how complete his game was.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Remember the Hospodar fight from when the game was on TV, clearly the most damage Gillies did in a fight. In the 1975 play-offs, Dave Schultz might have suffered the same fate if some of his teammates did not jump in.Thought that Schultz wasn't the same after that. I remember pictures of Terry O'Reilly's face after the 4 fights, cuts and scars all over his face. We talk about his fights but he was indeed a very skilled player first and foremost, very underrated how complete his game was.

It's true, O'Reilly's face was like a road map after those fights. I believe Gillies was only 20 when he destroyed Shultz. I read Shultz's autobiography, and he blamed tripping on the back of the net, but in the end, he begrudgingly gave Gillies credit, said he was an incredibly strong Western Canada farm boy.

I met Shultz 2 years ago at a Wilkesbarre Penguins game against the Sountigers in PA (my uncle lives 20 minutes outside of there), and he was very gracious and funny. I told him I read his autobiography, and he said "so you were the one who bought it". lol.

Rex, about the Hospodar fight, I didn't see it live, but Channel 9's sportcaster on the 10pm news showed it, and despite the technology of the times, I distinctly remember seeing a tooth fly by during the replay of the fight.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
It's true, O'Reilly's face was like a road map after those fights. I believe Gillies was only 20 when he destroyed Shultz. I read Shultz's autobiography, and he blamed tripping on the back of the net, but in the end, he begrudgingly gave Gillies credit, said he was an incredibly strong Western Canada farm boy.

I met Shultz 2 years ago at a Wilkesbarre Penguins game against the Sountigers in PA (my uncle lives 20 minutes outside of there), and he was very gracious and funny. I told him I read his autobiography, and he said "so you were the one who bought it". lol.

Rex, about the Hospodar fight, I didn't see it live, but Channel 9's sportcaster on the 10pm news showed it, and despite the technology of the times, I distinctly remember seeing a tooth fly by during the replay of the fight.

I honestly can't recall if I saw the game live or not, especially with all of the YOUTUBE videos you can watch. I don't recall seeing a tooth, but I do recall seeing a lot of blood.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
I honestly can't recall if I saw the game live or not, especially with all of the YOUTUBE videos you can watch. I don't recall seeing a tooth, but I do recall seeing a lot of blood.

I just looked at it, if there was a flying tooth I could not see it, but I did see that game on TV.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere

Schultz on and off the ice were two different people. Heard that about him, seems like a real nice guy but of course as fans we hated him and the Flyers.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Going to Utica tonight to watch Bridgeport play Vancouver's affiliate. Will concentrate on mostly Strome and Lee, if there is another player you want me to look at, please ask. I will be leaving home around 5:30 if you have any requests post them by then.

_illicit_

Nov 30, 2005
FL
Going to Utica tonight to watch Bridgeport play Vancouver's affiliate. Will concentrate on mostly Strome and Lee, if there is another player you want me to look at, please ask. I will be leaving home around 5:30 if you have any requests post them by then.

I'd love to know how Mayfield looks.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I've met Gillies a few times.... it's not so much how big he is, it's his hands. Getting into a fight with him, must have been like trying to dodge a cinder block being thrown at your face repeatedly.

gillies-395x220.png

Seriously, look at those things!

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
I've met Gillies a few times.... it's not so much how big he is, it's his hands. Getting into a fight with him, must have been like trying to dodge a cinder block being thrown at your face repeatedly.

gillies-395x220.png

Seriously, look at those things!

Unbelievable, never realized his hands are like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad