2013 Bridgeport SoundTigers Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Maybe the other Ullstrom thread is a bit more fitting, but the second he was sent down, I simply assumed it was because the team had a four day layover.

I don't really think it has much to do with 'demoting' him or sending him a message. He's one of the few guys they don't have to send through waivers who is currently just a depth player on the island.

In addition, he's been in and out of the line-up and quite frankly (be it his fault or maybe a perceived lack of kid gloves from Capuano), Ullstrom has done very little of a positive nature in his most recent appearances.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Maybe the other Ullstrom thread is a bit more fitting, but the second he was sent down, I simply assumed it was because the team had a four day layover.

I don't really think it has much to do with 'demoting' him or sending him a message. He's one of the few guys they don't have to send through waivers who is currently just a depth player on the island.

In addition, he's been in and out of the line-up and quite frankly (be it his fault or maybe a perceived lack of kid gloves from Capuano), Ullstrom has done very little of a positive nature in his most recent appearances.

i agree completely. hearing that Joensuu is practicing with the team. related somehow?
really looking forward to see how he does...

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com

That's fine. We can agree to disagree. I think Ullstrom was handled about as poorly as possible by Cap.

That said, I understand JJ is coming back soon and am fully aware of the waivers/flexibility issue with most on the roster. With the Grabner injury, there really wasn't a need to send down Ullstrom just yet, UNLESS it was to get him in last nights game and then bring him down to Tampa immediately after.

I'm not thinking that's the case at this point, but if it is... I'm fine with it.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
I don't think Ullström has been playing that good lately. It might be because of Reasoner, I don't know. I hope he'll find his game again down in Bridgeport, and than I hope he'll be promoted again.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I don't think Ullström has been playing that good lately. It might be because of Reasoner, I don't know. I hope he'll find his game again down in Bridgeport, and than I hope he'll be promoted again.

Ullstrom's problems on the Island began with his being punished with reduced ice time by Cappy for making some mistakes on coverage and possibly not backchecking (although he could have been at the ennd of his shift if IRC). It's one thing to demonstrate unhappiness with a young player by cutting his ice time for a bit, but Cappy or Weight appear to have overdone it with the benchings and ice limitations. It snowballed as the more he was punished the worse he became, seemingly looking like he was unsure of himself. He has not played with his earlier swagger, a big part of his game.
Some of this is on Ullstrom, who has to get the message and go out and play with that swagger and intensity that he did earlier and last year, not be tentative because the coach is on your jock.
I really like Ullstrom, can see him as a regular 3rd line 2 way winger for us. He needs to come back with a vengence and not look over his shoulder. Cappy needs to give him a pat on the back, some encouragement.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
That's fine. We can agree to disagree. I think Ullstrom was handled about as poorly as possible by Cap.

That said, I understand JJ is coming back soon and am fully aware of the waivers/flexibility issue with most on the roster. With the Grabner injury, there really wasn't a need to send down Ullstrom just yet, UNLESS it was to get him in last nights game and then bring him down to Tampa immediately after.

I'm not thinking that's the case at this point, but if it is... I'm fine with it.

Glad this turned out to be the case. Smart move by the Isles. The right guy got called back up. Though i completely expect him to be misused and subsequently criticized by some fans.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I'm curious why Ullstrom again? Was it just a one game tune-up for Ullstrom, get him some ice-time in between Isles games (which is rare in this condensed schedule)? Or was it a chance to evaluate Ullstrom AND Nelson, Nino, Persson, Sundstrom on the same ice and see if anyone else should get the call-up?

Of course, we'll never know.

I think that if Ullstrom was being sent down for just one game, then Staple might have known that and would have tweeted it. And maybe that was communicated to Ullstrom directly, again, who knows.

Or, are Nino/Nelson and others not yet ready for a look at the NHL level?

Nino's been in a terrible slump since his agent comments, though he seems to be scoring a bit more of late. Nelson, since back from his injury and getting his legs back, seems to be the most productive forward, probably most deserving of a call-up.

It's saddening that five years into this alleged "rebuild" we have nobody who can play top six and make the team better. Maybe that's Strome, Nelson, Nino and maybe as early as next year - but still!

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Those guys are all 20 and 21 years old. There are not many players that age putting up gaudy numbers in the nhl. They are fine and all the guys you mentioned are developing nicely.

I think we can safely say the ullstrom 1 game cameo in bport was an opportunity to get him minutes since he has been benched or scratched.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Nino showed nice poise and hands on that goal. Beaut of a pass from Nelson. Ullstrom needed that for confidence.

NYI does have some nice pieces in the cupboard, development of said remains the mystery.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Color me crazy, I believe Ullstrom should have stayed in BP. Honestly, if the minutes are not there with the major league club than allow the kid to get minutes in BP. Whereas players like Cizikas and McDonald are doing well in their roles Ullstrom has a few aspects of his game to refine.

Zanny

Jun 15, 2009
To be honest, I dont think the isles have any idea yet what Ullstrom's role should be.

petrocelli

I love the Draft!!
Jan 5, 2009
Where was Kabanov last night??? Is he hurt again??

On a different note...
Who is Bridgeport adding within the next month or so, up until training camp, for next season?? ...

Strome, obviously will be given a chance to make the big club. But if not, he'll be in Bridgeport......

Theoret?? Does Theoret have another year or junior eligibility left or is he Bridgeport bound??......

Any chance we see a second go around for Rakhshanni or Dibo, ala Joesnsuu??

Last edited:

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Where was Kabanov last night??? Is he hurt again??

On a different note...
Who is Bridgeport adding within the next month or so, up until training camp, for next season?? ...

Strome, obviously will be given a chance to make the big club. But if not, he'll be in Bridgeport......

Theoret?? Does Theoret have another year or junior eligibility left or is he Bridgeport bound??......

Kabanov was 'under the weather' sounds like a day-to-day thing, but you never know.

Obviously Strome is going to Bridgeport if he doesn't break camp with the Islanders (my opinion on that has been posted several times). I would expect him to sign an ATO and play a few games in BPort this year (if his foot is okay)

Theoret will be heading to Brdgeport (maybe on an ATO this season as well if Barrie doesn't go deep).

If Rahk or Dibo come back I think it would have to be a one way deal like Joensuu this year, which leaves Bport out of the equation.

Andrei Pedan seems like a lock for Bridgeport, and If the Isles can sign Kichton I would expect him there as well (again maybe this season)

I think if Anders Lee signs then he is an instant Islander, but suppose he could be discussed for Bridgeport.

Ville Pokka would be my wildcard of sorts, he'll only b 19 next year but he would be eligible for Bridgeport next season as anon-CHL 19 year old, and sounds like he really did well this season over in Sm-Liga. Would LOVE to see him added even with Pedan and Possibly Kichton added. BPORT will be starving for defenceman next season, especially with the expected graduation of Donovan.

One guy that is always forgotten is Jason Clark a 3rd round pick in 2010 who before this seaosn signed a 3 year ELC at 535K per season (NHL Salary). He was optioned to ECHL Gwinett early this year (after 4 games) and has struggled to make their line-up only playing in 24 games there so far this season and has not been recalled to Bridgeport even with the flurry of ECHL signing/call-ups the Sound Tigers have made this season.

Last edited:

kuwo

Jun 2, 2010
SVK
No possible ATO for Adam Pelech? I believe McIlrath signed one with the Whale as an 18-year old.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
One guy that is always forgotten is Jason Clark a 3rd round pick in 2010 who before this seaosn signed a 3 year ELC at 535K per season (NHL Salary). He was optioned to ECHL Gwinett early this year (after 4 games) and has struggled to make their line-up only playing in 24 games there so far this season and has not been recalled to Bridgeport even with the flurry of ECHL signing/call-ups the Sound Tigers have made this season.

That situation only gets stranger...

For those curious, he has 2-7-9, -9 and 36 PMs down in Gwinnett.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Once this team has moved Boyes (awww, who am I kidding - Garth will just let him walk) and has finally traded Okposo as part of a package to bring in a new solution for the JT line, I would like to see Rakhshani brought back into the picture.

Have watched a lot of his highlights in Sweden this season and not only was he tremendous around the goal mouth and in the slot, but was pretty consistent (ok, there was one phase where he only had one point in 6 or 7 games) in a scoring role on a first line (with Jason Krog) over the long run, with a lot of sweet, sweet plays along the way. He can be very creative and crafty.

There is no doubt in my mind that he is, at this very moment, better than the Reasoners and Aucoins of the world, but also can produce more than the Kyle Okposo we're seeing this season. He's got the creativity and instincts that Kyle currently seems to be void of.

It's actually mind-blowing that of Kyle's 2-7-9 in 26 games, 1-2-3 came in one game.

Just mind-blowing.

Theoret will be heading to Brdgeport (maybe on an ATO this season as well if Barrie doesn't go deep).

Andrei Pedan seems like a lock for Bridgeport, and If the Isles can sign Kichton I would expect him there as well (again maybe this season)

To my knowledge, both Pedan and Theoret must be signed by the Islanders this summer or they can re-enter the draft.

I'm not sure if Kichton (due to age) can re-enter the draft, but if not, then a non-signing by the Isles would allow him to simply go to the highest bidder on the free agency market.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Once this team has moved Boyes (awww, who am I kidding - Garth will just let him walk) and has finally traded Okposo as part of a package to bring in a new solution for the JT line, I would like to see Rakhshani brought back into the picture.

Have watched a lot of his highlights in Sweden this season and not only was he tremendous around the goal mouth and in the slot, but was pretty consistent (ok, there was one phase where he only had one point in 6 or 7 games) in a scoring role on a first line (with Jason Krog) over the long run, with a lot of sweet, sweet plays along the way. He can be very creative and crafty.

There is no doubt in my mind that he is, at this very moment, better than the Reasoners and Aucoins of the world, but also can produce more than the Kyle Okposo we're seeing this season. He's got the creativity and instincts that Kyle currently seems to be void of.

It's actually mind-blowing that of Kyle's 2-7-9 in 26 games, 1-2-3 came in one game.

Just mind-blowing.

To my knowledge, both Pedan and Theoret must be signed by the Islanders this summer or they can re-enter the draft.

I'm not sure if Kichton (due to age) can re-enter the draft, but if not, then a non-signing by the Isles would allow him to simply go to the highest bidder on the free agency market.

Rakshani huh.

:laugh:

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Rakshani huh.

:laugh:

Rakh has shown more than any other prospect. I think he'd be the highest scorer since turning pro of anyone in the Isles system, probably by a long shot.

Far more than Nino, Kabanov, Sundstrom, Persson, Joensuu.

He's 25, he's small, doensn't skate that great and although he's pretty strong on his skates, he wouldn't win any battles against NHL dmen along the boards but I still think he'd make a far better pro player than a lot of guys in the system, even next year.

But let's see how this plays out.

I'm still hoping for Strome and Niderreiter and Nelson to win jobs next year.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Rakh has shown more than any other prospect. I think he'd be the highest scorer since turning pro of anyone in the Isles system, probably by a long shot.

Far more than Nino, Kabanov, Sundstrom, Persson, Joensuu.

He's 25, he's small, doensn't skate that great and although he's pretty strong on his skates, he wouldn't win any battles against NHL dmen along the boards but I still think he'd make a far better pro player than a lot of guys in the system, even next year.

But let's see how this plays out.

I'm still hoping for Strome and Niderreiter and Nelson to win jobs next year.

not more than PETROV!:laugh:

Seriously, I can't wait to see what Joensuu has become away from NYI meddling. Rakh sounds like he could have a rebirth as well.

The one name I am intrigued with above, though, is Persson. He's a bit slower but a shooter wing who has seen some success. I would love to see him <just for petrovs and giggles> play on JT's wing during a scrimmage just because of the type of player he allegedly is and what I think JT needs.

NYI78

Jan 29, 2009
Milford CT
not more than PETROV!:laugh:

Seriously, I can't wait to see what Joensuu has become away from NYI meddling. Rakh sounds like he could have a rebirth as well.

The one name I am intrigued with above, though, is Persson. He's a bit slower but a shooter wing who has seen some success. I would love to see him <just for petrovs and giggles> play on JT's wing during a scrimmage just because of the type of player he allegedly is and what I think JT needs.

persson is increbailby one dimensional at this point in his career..however that one dimension is good...he is a straight north south player...simple game, has a good nose for the net and can play in traffic...

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
persson is increbailby one dimensional at this point in his career..however that one dimension is good...he is a straight north south player...simple game, has a good nose for the net and can play in traffic...

i went to the Marlies - Lake Erie (COL affiliate) yesterday, the players that stand out are the ones you describe above.

Funny, when looking at the lineup, I was expecting to be wowed by:
Jake Gardiner
Tim Connolly
Joe Colborne maybe?

But who ends up stealing the show? A guy like Tyler McNeely (of former Bridgeport "fame") who skated hard, hit everything that moved, was a pest on the ice that was making something happen every shift. Too bad he's not a few inches taller. He's got surprisingly poor #s this year but is in a more defensive role.

Tim Connolly has lost it, he sucks. He's mailing it in, collecting his cash. He did get into a fight yesterday though, probably the only one of his career, which was interesting except he showed zero emotion or skill at any other time.

And Gardiner, though offensively gifted and oozes "potential", he didn't look that great. Poor defensively, plays too much on the perimeter.

Paul Ranger looked amazing. I know he left hockey for a while and apparently only wants to play in the AHL but this is an NHL dman, no doubt about it. He'd be a top four guy on the Islanders, no doubt about it.

But north-south, go to the net types, like Persson, that game translates very well to the NHL. Carter Ashton has more of a chance at an NHL job over Tim Connolly or Joe Colborne. Despite the stats.

I see Persson as one of those guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad