2013 assessment; 2014 prediction

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
would be looking at a top-6 lw and rw to pair with barkov, as well as another top-6 rw to pair with huberdeau-bjugstad. would also look at a RD to pair with campbell, a LD to pair with gudbranson (kulikov if we resign him), and i have olsen-petrovic as our 3rd pairing next year so it was actually nice to see them paired together the last couple games.
top-6 lw's I'm looking at: moulson, michalek, cammalleri, and j. jokinen
top-6 rw's I'm looking at: callahan, gaborik, vrbata, stempniak, hemsky
id love to sign niskanen and pair him with campbell, girardi would a great one as well but niskanen would be a cheaper option. orpik and nikitin would both be good options to pair with gudbranson (imagine having gudbranson, orpik, olsen, petrovic, all in our top-6, that would be a physical D).
i think a goaltender is one of the biggest thing though. lets see if thomas can stay some what healthy for the remainder of the season and lets see if he's even an option to resign as i assume he'll probably retire after this year, especially if the injuries continue (plus no olympics so he wouldnt be playing for that). id love for hiller to hit ufa but i have a feeling the ducks for extend him for 2 years before giving fasth the starting job. id be looking at hiller more so than miller. it'd be more realistic and probably cheaper. hiller or elliott/halak.

sign a goalie.
see where we pick in the draft.
give campbell a new partner.
resign kulikov or give gudbranson a new partner (assuming olsen-petrovic would be the 3rd pairing).
try to get a goal scorer like moulson, callahan, gaborik, or vrbata.
sign another forward or two.

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
http://www.extraskater.com/players/...5,377,345&sit=ev&sort=g&season=2013&type=rate

Not really excited of anyone besides Vanek. All are kinda ok, but kinda just PP spesialists who would excel if playing weaker competition/or with really good linemates. Is that enough to be overpaying for? Would they end up any better than the previous overpaid panthers ufas. IMO Campbell is the only asset to truely get an elite winger in which case I'd just prefer to be without another one. Also if Boyes is not an option and you miss out on Cammalleri, Vrbata, Moulson, Callahan wouldnt that even be even worse scenario? Should Boyes actually be a priority to sign and you could still aim to get another one in the offseason. Atleast he's shown some chemistry with Barkov already and is getting in positions to score. Sometimes its more important than actually scoring. Besides of adding someone new I'd be pretty happy with current core in next year, with exception of Kopecky. Deal him and get someone like Callahan or Komarov to replace.

Then Miller/Hiller and add to defence. Should be pretty exciting if everything gets done ;)

Also wouldnt mind if could grab somelike Connolly/Panik from tampa for Goc+

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
Since we are discussing trades and have a good connection to the Preds, who need scoring, I would love to acquire Ryan Ellis, a small PMD I really like. He went 9th over all in 2009 but seems to be the odd man out in Nashville with Jone's emergence.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
i wonder if its possible to pry semin away from carolina

would be a great linemate for sasha, and i think canes need a d-man (kuli) + some other assets? not exactly sure about canes need, but i remember them having trouble with d-men

however, im not sure if it'll be enough for semin as i think it'll be quality (semin) for quantity (kulikov++)

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida
Interesting read from Bleacher Report by Rob Vollman.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...y-to-surprise-in-second-half-of-season/page/9

First-Half Points: 36 points

Projected Second-Half Points: 48 points

Potential for Surprise: Florida is a quality team. Tim Thomas is a quality goalie, Brian Campbell is a quality top defenseman, Brad Boyes and Tom Gilbert are quality free-agent bargains and Aleksander Barkov and Nick Bjugstad are quality rookies.

The Panthers are actually a quality puck-possession team, too, with numbers better than teams like the Anaheim Ducks and consistently trending up, according to Extra Skater. That's why the Panthers are 13-11-2 under new coach Peter Horachek.

If they're such a quality team, what went wrong in the first half? First of all, they have the worst shooting percentage differential in the league, scoring on just 7.9 percent of their shots while their opponents have converted on 10.1 percent.

They also have the worst special teams differential in the league, converting on just 10.7 percent of their power-play opportunities while allowing their opponents to score on 25.4 percent.

Obviously, they have to take some (or most) of the responsibility for that, but some of it is just bad luck. The Panthers are a team that has gradually started turning things around and could really catch fire in the second half. (Vollman)

Apparently, we have better puck possession than the Anaheim Ducks (best team in the league). While this is not too shocking, it is still something to consider moving forward. We are only capitalizing on approximately 7-8% of shots though. If we can improve that accuracy, we can get more goals. I think Tallon knows what to do. We need a proven goal scorer and we can afford one.

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
i wonder if its possible to pry semin away from carolina

would be a great linemate for sasha, and i think canes need a d-man (kuli) + some other assets? not exactly sure about canes need, but i remember them having trouble with d-men

however, im not sure if it'll be enough for semin as i think it'll be quality (semin) for quantity (kulikov++)

Possible probably but not without giving the premier. They are missing even more depth than us and in no way they could lose Semin. Defense is just secondary problem which they've already assessed some. Not really a good trade partner eventho Semin would be awesome.

Interesting read from Bleacher Report by Rob Vollman.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...y-to-surprise-in-second-half-of-season/page/9

Apparently, we have better puck possession than the Anaheim Ducks (best team in the league). While this is not too shocking, it is still something to consider moving forward. We are only capitalizing on approximately 7-8% of shots though. If we can improve that accuracy, we can get more goals. I think Tallon knows what to do. We need a proven goal scorer and we can afford one.

Goalscoring is mainly Powerplay issue tho. And its not just about quality of shots, its mostly because amount of shots. Evenstrength is not actually far below average and some who score equally will make playoffs. Goals allowed has been far more bigger issue, which is more easily improved, and possible without stupidly overpaying someone just for the sake of it.

Addressing goalscoring first would only be easy and risky way to improving and might not help much of all with the actual results. Now with all the talk I feel management might also be pressured in getting one, and one who might just Clarkson on us. Much of the improvement will come already from Barkov, Bjugstad, Huby and defense. And given how good possession/shots stats have been lately from http://www.extraskater.com/team/florida-panthers/2013#performance-charts you'll see that puck luck follows the team who is outplaying other one.

SeasonTicket

Sep 5, 2006
With only 19 left games till the trade deadline on March 5th and 10 points to make up I think the 2014 predictions should be what moves we make before and on that date. The last 10 games we are 5 and 5 but the last 6 we are 2 and 4.

Not that I want to give up hope but realistically any chance of playoffs would need a major run not a 50/50 effort.

At past deadlines we have cleaned house to clear payroll. This year with the promise of the new ownership to spend in free agency I see the moves we make by the deadline setting up what this team will look like over the next few years as we move towards being a true playoff team that can compete for many years to come.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
We got 3 noticeable RFA's on the blueline heading into the 2014 season. Kulikov, Gudbranson and Olsen.

IMO none deserve a massive raise but each will get a considerable bump in pay.

Last time Kulikov was a RFA it took almost till the beginning of (pre?)season to get him signed.
I believe now Kulikov is eligible for arbitration since this is his second contract.

Just thinking out loud.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad