2013 assessment; 2014 prediction

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
2013 is done. The Panthers, at the season mid-point (I.e. 41 games), have a 15-20-6 record earning 36 points, the 5th worse record in the NHL despite earning 17 points in December. GF is 2.34 and GA is 3.16.
What is your assessment of 2013 and predictions for balance of season in 2014?

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
We're a much better team under Horacheck than Dineen for whatever reason. We're 6-3-1 in the last 10, so there are positives moving forward. Barkov is continuing his strong play. What that kid is turning into to is something else for us. Bjugstad had a really nice first half as well. Huberdeau has been kind of disappointing, but I'm certainly not down on him because you can see him doing other great things besides scoring goals. Injury bug bit Upshall, Thomas and Gudbranson. The lack of scoring is still very evident. The powerplay is still embarrassing. The last game of the year against the Rangers pretty much sums up this team: effort is there most nights, defense is fine most nights, can't score a lot 5-on-5 and we hardly ever score on the powerplay. I hope our rookies take over the team and Bjugstad, Huberdeau and Barkov end up leading us in scoring. I hope Trocheck gets a shot maybe if/when we're mathematically eliminated from playoff contention. I hope Tallon can revamp our offense in the offseason, because it truly sucks and our powerplay is painful to watch. That's all I have to say.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Not to give an excuse for Huberdeau, but, he has been unlucky this first half when it comes to goals. Reminded me of Shore last year.

I'll just tag it to the Sophomore slump, and hopefully he stays injury free so he can have a productive offseason in the gym.

To the OP:

I wasn't expecting much in terms of team success this year. We sucked last year, and we did very little to improve the team for this year.

Surprised with how well Thomas* and Barkov have been this year. Even a shout out to Gudbranson, who has improved quite a bit over last year. Still playing with a mean streak, delivering hits and not going to the penalty box.

Boyes and Gilbert are playing ok, especially when you factor in their contracts.

Big Bjugstad has been playing great, and I hope to see him pot even more goals in the second half.

The team really needs to aquire at least one "sniper", a top 3 LD to pair with Campbell and a dependable goalie to have any shot at success in 2014+.

More than fine with VV and DT overpaying a guy like Moulson to come play on a line with Barkov. Same with Hiller/Halak.

Be active in the 2014 FA pool and axquire a player or two in trades, and I think this team can at least have a good chance of being competitive.

Don't see Bjugstad, Huberdeau and Barkov becoming legit players for another 1-2 years, but I think it's crucial to get them quality linemates ASAP.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
i'd throw ridiculous money at miller this offseason if he's willing to sign. he's playing the best hockey in the league right now behind a ghorrible sabres team

that would require us to move markström though, but a 5 year 7 mil for miller would work for me, frontloaded if needed

then u throw some money at moulson or another high-end top6 winger, maybe try to sign one of the good d-men coming out this year to a 2-3 year contract to play with campbell

Chino Oscar

Jul 22, 2002
West Palm Beach
i'd throw ridiculous money at miller this offseason if he's willing to sign. he's playing the best hockey in the league right now behind a ghorrible sabres team

that would require us to move markström though, but a 5 year 7 mil for miller would work for me, frontloaded if needed

then u throw some money at moulson or another high-end top6 winger, maybe try to sign one of the good d-men coming out this year to a 2-3 year contract to play with campbell

Moulson I agree completely. Miller, not at all. Our biggest issue is scoring. We have seen what even Clemmensen can provide when the team plays good defense in front on our goaltenders. No need to be throwing that kind of money at Miller. Get goal-scoring forwards and another legit top 2 defenseman.

Last edited:

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Moulson I agree completely. Miller, not at all.

why not? he's 33 right now, you sign him for 5 years, gets a few elite years and some good years to play with markström, if markström stays.

if we sign miller we get an elite goaltender

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
I expect to see more of the Panthers play under Horachek for the remainder of the season to hopefully finish with a .500 record and 10th-12th in the East. I wouldn't be upset with that since I really didn't expect a chance at the playoffs anyhow. Causal fans are going to be mad if they don't make it, but think of that as slight step from finishing dead last in the league last season. It's a process that takes time.

Moulson is my number one choice to acquire as I think he'd fit perfectly with the core that we have in place is and is coming in the future. I wouldn't mind getting Hiller or Vrbata either to fill some holes and we'll have to overpay of course. I think Viola knows what has to be done from Tallon to make the team successful He's getting to know the fanbase and market and knows that only winning will get butts in the seats, which is why it's so key to continue building the team the right way.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
A little OT but after the game the other night I went to Las Olas and ran into DT and his family talked for just a second wished him a happy new year and good luck this summer...Thing is everytime you hear the man speak especially in person you realize that everything will be ok and our team will make the changes that need to be made going forward.

Have faith in DT.

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
As bad as the powerplay is, as bad as some players have underachieved this season (Huberdeau, Fleichmann, Versteeg now traded, Kopecky, Matthias) had the Panthers had consistent A1 goaltending with a healthy Tim Thomas all year and not had the Markstrom experience and a very shaky to awful early on Clemm we likely would have 5-6 more wins this year. That and the coaching change and would have had us at or above .500 I think even with all of the faults and the problems. I think a franchise goaltender has to be the number 1 priority this offseason because when this team gets great goaltending we can compete with anyone now. We have a lot other needs to so I hope Viola is ready to spend this offseason.

Effe

Sep 26, 2013
Gothenburg, Sweden
I would love to sign Bryzgalov as a UFA, he has been quite good in Oilers, but missed a couple of games because of injuries. Then we would have enought money to spend on a blueliner and one or two top 6 forwards.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
After the firing of Dineen and the trading of Versteeg this team has been exactly what I thought they would be. A hard working young team with some decent vet leadership. I think they have great pieces in place moving forward. I'll agree with what I'm reading here from a good portion of you guys. Goal tending and a sniper moving forward should help this team take the next step. I hope Viola sincerely wants to win. You can never tell the true intentions of good businessmen.

I thought this season rode heavily on how Huberdeau progressed. His soph slump is unfortunate but he's learning the game.

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
A little OT but after the game the other night I went to Las Olas and ran into DT and his family talked for just a second wished him a happy new year and good luck this summer...Thing is everytime you hear the man speak especially in person you realize that everything will be ok and our team will make the changes that need to be made going forward.

Have faith in DT.

Did your hair turn white after the encounter? :laugh:

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
My only problem with the team at the moment is that its best player is the 18 year old rookie. Well maybe Soupy is the mvp, sure, but at least offensively I don't see anyone better than the kid.

We are at mid season now, the veterans seriously need to step it up and start carrying this team. No more early season slump excuses and what not, these guys need to start contributing more. It's a freaking joke that the team scoring leader is on pace for 41 points.

Last edited:

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
IMO, goal scoring is still our biggest need for '14. But it seems like there is a drop-off after UFA's Vanek & Moulson. Gaborik seems too risky for my tastes.

Not sure Thomas will be back here next season (or even the NHL for that matter). I wouldn't want to throw all that coin to Miller when someone like Elliott would probably work.

Looks like we picked up a solid piece in Olsen. With the minutes Gilbert has played, he's been pretty decent and wouldn't be surprised to see Tallon re-sign him. Even though Weaver is a warrior, I wouldn't lose any sleep if he wasn't back next season. Maybe Stuart from the Jets could be signed over the summer and plugged into his spot.

-ghoste

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
IMO, goal scoring is still our biggest need for '14. But it seems like there is a drop-off after UFA's Vanek & Moulson. Gaborik seems too risky for my tastes.

Not sure Thomas will be back here next season (or even the NHL for that matter). I wouldn't want to throw all that coin to Miller when someone like Elliott would probably work.

Looks like we picked up a solid piece in Olsen. With the minutes Gilbert has played, he's been pretty decent and wouldn't be surprised to see Tallon re-sign him. Even though Weaver is a warrior, I wouldn't lose any sleep if he wasn't back next season. Maybe Stuart from the Jets could be signed over the summer and plugged into his spot.

-ghoste
General consensus is right, we need goal scoring.

I also really, REALLY am interested in Ryan Miller. I really don't think he'd be interesting in playing here, but I would love him in a Panther uniform. I remember we had that thread a few months back at the start of the season when everything looked horrible where we took the reigns of GM and tried to make moves. I said we should trade Markstrom and other pieces to Buffalo for Miller and re-sign him to retire a Panther. The guy is an elite talent and would solidify our goaltending for the next 4-5 years. Unfortunately, this isn't much of a reality.

In regards to scoring, we need it, and we need it badly. Our 3rd and 4th line guys aren't giving us any support at all. Kopecky, Matthias and others can all afford to be moved. We need to bring in players who will contribute not just with energy and defensive responsibility, but guys who can chip in that 10-15 goals over the course of the season. Kopy and Matthias have 7 goals combined this season so far and we are halfway through it. Jimmy Hayes has come in and given us 4 goals in half as many games. We need contribution from everyone on the team, not just guys named Barkov or Bjugstad.

So for 2014, I'd like to see the team finish the season strong. I'm still not expecting playoffs but a jump to 10/11th in the East is much better for our club going forward than a top-5 draft pick IMO. Bring in a PROVEN NHL goal scoring winger, bulk up the defense and add another bonifide top-4, figure out the goaltending situation, and clean up our checking lines to include more consistent NHLers.

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
My 2014 predictions:

(1) the Cats will play hard but still only win about half their games through the TDL;

(2) the Cats will be active at the TDL trading a number of vets, including Gilbert and Boyes, who will net unexpectedly high returns;

(3) Jovo will either retire or more likely go on LTIR after attempting to play with a replaced hip;

(4) After the TDL, the Cats will call up and play a number of prospects, which will cause us to tank and net a top 5 pick;

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
i like your thinking...

i want a top 5 pick this year... :( i don't want to trade it...
but i am a ***** for prospects and drafts so...

the chance at leon, dal colle, perlini

knowing us would we even draft someone smaller like nylander..

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
i like your thinking...

i want a top 5 pick this year... :( i don't want to trade it...
but i am a ***** for prospects and drafts so...

the chance at leon, dal colle, perlini

knowing us would we even draft someone smaller like nylander..

That's a bad thing?

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
If they don't acquire a star sniper in FA in July it'll be a very quiet arena in Oct. Good thing is Viola is aware of that.

I just looked at the free agent class and there really aren't any snipers that we need available. Vanek is the guy but he's going to Minny. He's exactly what we need but lets be honest, we're not getting him. Moulson would be a solid addition but odds are he wont come here and I'm not sold on him being the goal scorer we need. Perhaps we move our first round pick for a roster player?

http://capgeek.com/ufa-finder/

After reading about the Team USA selection process, Tallon loves speed so I wouldn't be surprised to see him go after Mason Raymond. I think Viola will want Callahan given his NYC roots and might pay an enormous amount for him. I'd love to have Callahan but he wont solve our goal scoring problem either. Girardi would be worth overpaying for. Hopefully Viola opens the checkbook for some Rangers.

Last edited:

Erick*

I just looked at the free agent class and there really aren't any snipers that we need available. Vanek is the guy but he's going to Minny. He's exactly what we need but lets be honest, we're not getting him. Moulson would be a solid addition but odds are he wont come here and I'm not sold on him being the goal scorer we need. Perhaps we move our first round pick for a roster player?

http://capgeek.com/ufa-finder/

After reading about the Team USA selection process, Tallon loves speed so I wouldn't be surprised to see him go after Mason Raymond. I thin Viola will want Callahan given his NYC roots and might be an enormous amount for him. I'd love to have Callahan but he wont solve our goal scoring problem either. Girardi would be worth overpaying for. Hopefully Viola opens the checkbook for some Rangers.

I agree with this. I'd like to have a guy like Girardi in our top-4 (realistically, he'd be top pairing on this team).

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
I agree with this. I'd like to have a guy like Girardi in our top-4 (realistically, he'd be top pairing on this team).

our recent game against the rangers their game time thread was ripping him all game.. then he scored that big goal.. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad