GDT: 2013 - Around the League Games - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Ive seen him live over a dozen times now. He is just flat out more skilled then anyone else on the ice. He also works very hard too. He really is a great player.

Yea I feel like he gets a bad rap just because he's Russian.

Nice to see Ovechkin get the hat trick. The league is better when he's doing well.

EastCoastNiner

Nov 21, 2008
Kovalchuk is such a great player.

Ive seen him live over a dozen times now. He is just flat out more skilled then anyone else on the ice. He also works very hard too. He really is a great player.

It's amusing that most posters here wanted nothing to do with him a few years ago. I never understood those with the poor views about Kovy. It's the entire stereotypical (incorrect as well) "Russians are lazy and soft" garbage that people like to spew.

It's very similar to Jagr in the off-season last year. It'd be great to bump those threads as well.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
So Don Cherry unfailry stereotypes guys from Europe and as a result anytime someone has any issues with a Russian guy they are lazily accused of just hating them because they are Russian.

Cool stuff.

There were questions about whether the cost in terms of assets combined with his salary was worth it for a guy with zero playoff wins.

But yeah, it was just because he was Russian.

The same reason we give Joe Thornton so much ****, right?

EastCoastNiner

Nov 21, 2008
So Don Cherry unfailry stereotypes guys from Europe and as a result anytime someone has any issues with a Russian guy they are lazily accused of just hating them because they are Russian.

Cool stuff.

There were questions about whether the cost in terms of assets combined with his salary was worth it for a guy with zero playoff wins.

But yeah, it was just because he was Russian.

The same reason we give Joe Thornton so much ****, right?

Nope, not at all. I just went back and read some on the Kovy rumor threads, and the stereotypes are there. It has nothing to do with Don Cherry saying that, as many people here say the same exact thing. It's not everyone, but it's a large amount of people.

If your concerns were over his cap hit (which they were because I just looked at a few of your posts about him), that's fine. I never said YOU had those views about him, but to deny that many did is foolish.

It's a similar mentality to those that don't want a finesse type player because it doesn't fit the "Big Bad Bruins" mold that you see spewed all of the time

You see it time after time, and I'm not just talking about Russian players in this situation. If someone isn't "tough" and hard-nosed, many turn their own nose towards them because they don't fit some outdated mold that people have in their head, the same mold that didn't win a cup for about 40 years.

Again, I'm not saying your views were that he was a soft Russian, but those were the views of many, not named Don Cherry.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Nope, not at all. I just went back and read some on the Kovy rumor threads, and the stereotypes are there. It has nothing to do with Don Cherry saying that, as many people here say the same exact thing. It's not everyone, but it's a large amount of people.

If your concerns were over his cap hit (which they were because I just looked at a few of your posts about him), that's fine. I never said YOU had those views about him, but to deny that many did is foolish.

It's a similar mentality to those that don't want a finesse type player because it doesn't fit the "Big Bad Bruins" mold that you see spewed all of the time

You see it time after time, and I'm not just talking about Russian players in this situation. If someone isn't "tough" and hard-nosed, many turn their own nose towards them because they don't fit some outdated mold that people have in their head, the same mold that didn't win a cup for about 40 years.

Again, I'm not saying your views were that he was a soft Russian, but those were the views of many, not named Don Cherry.

The "Russians are lazy" thing is so overblown. And anytime a Russian player gets criticized people, like you, instead of debating the merits of the criticism, just say things like, "Oh you only say that cause he is Russian."

How about this? You can be a Russian hockey player AND you can be lazy. You can be a non-Russian hockey player AND you can be lazy.

The claims that they are all sterotyped is so exaggerated that I see it falsely thrown around, like in this thread by you, about 100 times more often than I see someone actually say "Russians are lazy."

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
The "Russians are lazy" thing is so overblown. And anytime a Russian player gets criticized people, like you, instead of debating the merits of the criticism, just say things like, "Oh you only say that cause he is Russian."

How about this? You can be a Russian hockey player AND you can be lazy. You can be a non-Russian hockey player AND you can be lazy.

The claims that they are all sterotyped is so exaggerated that I see it falsely thrown around, like in this thread by you, about 100 times more often than I see someone actually say "Russians are lazy."

But the thing is, if it was said about Kovalchuk then it's probably stereotypical. If he played for the bruins, habs or toronto the fanbase would be ******* themselves over his quiet leadership and yada yada. He's fantastic and generally a work worker who isn't afraid of rough play either.

In general though, yes, it seems that at times people defend a stereotype too hard which is a mistake in itself because just because it's a stereotype doesn't mean it can't be true from time to time. I didn't read the thread so don't know much about what was said, i'm just speaking about the general HF mentality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad