GDT: 2013 - Around the League Games - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Bruins gave Scott too much credit. Lucic could take him. Chara would atleast draw to him. They lineup Thornton next to him with a 65 lbs weights disadvantage...Someone else should have stepped up..

They sure did. Never should have engaged him in the first place. You want to play a 6'8" plug with no hockey ability? Not our problem. This is the NHL, not the movie Goon.

Regina

Apr 11, 2004
Regina
www.corrine.ca
Like? Chara and Lucic are "too important" and McQuaid doesn't seem to in to it this year. Nobody has stepped up to try and ignite this team with a fight when needed except MacDermid and he never plays.

They've lost two games thus far .

I think the Bruin fuse has already been ignited in some other form . Some people think that a scrap in the game ignites something in team chemistry to go forth and be the turning point in a game , most notably to victory of course .

That thinking is archaic ( ar·cha·ic /ärˈkāik/
: old fashoined ) and is seldom the reason for victories' , if it was the case , then lower teired teams would be the toughest , dirtiest most fighting major teams of all the bunch to get themselves to the upper echelon of the NHL .

The Bruins are a tough strong team and they don't have to scrap to prove it ( Also see Detroit ) nor do they have to ignite themselves with it .

Two losses. The only thing we've ignited this year is the win column thus far with timely scraps when called upon to do so.

Fighting stats this year attached :

Attachments

• 2-22-2013 10-05-38 AM.jpg
    2-22-2013 10-05-38 AM.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006

I think the Bruin fuse has already been ignited in some other form . Some people think that a scrap in the game ignites something in team chemistry to go forth and be the turning point in a game , most notably to victory of course .

: old fashoined ) and is seldom the reason for victories' , if it was the case , then lower teired teams would be the toughest , dirtiest most fighting major teams of all the bunch to get themselves to the upper echelon of the NHL .

The Bruins are a tough strong team and they don't have to scrap to prove it nor do they have to ignite themselves with it .

Two losses. The only thing we've ignited this year is the win column thus far with timely scraps when called upon to do so.

And it's funny because both of those losses came against the team where they decided to engage the opponents' useless enforcer.

In terms of their level of physical, engaging play, the Bruins were 21st in hits in 2010-2011, and 20th last season. This year they've moved up to 15th. I think the thing that would surprise most people is that the Bruins are more skilled/talented than people give them credit for, and not nearly the massive physical presence people make them out to be. And they're damn successful that way.

Regina

Apr 11, 2004
Regina
www.corrine.ca
And it's funny because both of those losses came against the team where they decided to engage the opponents' useless enforcer.

In terms of their level of physical, engaging play, the Bruins were 21st in hits in 2010-2011, and 20th last season. This year they've moved up to 15th. I think the thing that would surprise most people is that the Bruins are more skilled/talented than people give them credit for, and not nearly the massive physical presence people make them out to be. And they're damn successful that way.

You assume we lost to Buffalo because of the knuckle head Scott ? I don't think that at all .

Five bucks sez' we won't loose to The Herd again this year .

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
You assume we lost to Buffalo because of the knuckle head Scott ? I don't think that at all .

Five bucks sez' we won't loose to The Herd again this year .

No, reverse correlation to that, I'm trying to say that going out an engaging enforcers isn't what drives our success and Buffalo was an example of that. Remember for that game we sat Bourque and brought in MacDermid. Whether anyone will care to admit it or not, they took Scott into consideration, which they shouldn't, he's terrible at everything except punching people, which he can't do if you don't drop the gloves.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
Rick DiPietro is still under contract for eight seasons beyond this one.

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
Intent is to send DiPietro to Bridgeport. Kevin Poulin to be recalled once DiPietro clears. #Isles

8 more years left

Regina

Apr 11, 2004
Regina
www.corrine.ca
No, reverse correlation to that, I'm trying to say that going out an engaging enforcers isn't what drives our success and Buffalo was an example of that. Remember for that game we sat Bourque and brought in MacDermid. Whether anyone will care to admit it or not, they took Scott into consideration, which they shouldn't, he's terrible at everything except punching people, which he can't do if you don't drop the gloves.

Ahhhh , good .

So no bet then

;)

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

The Bruins are a tough strong team and they don't have to scrap to prove it ( Also see Detroit ) nor do they have to ignite themselves with it .

Fighting stats this year attached :

Funny...Bruins used to beat you AND beat you up...It's called being emotionally and physically invested. It's a combo of both, so save me the throw a bunch of goons together...this team seems to have a very long fuse this year in that regard.

Problem is , this year teams they used to steamroll like the Sabres and Leafs actually hit back...Of course the Bruins don't have to prove anything...maybe the "turn the other cheek , don't relatiate, don't dictate" is the theme the shortened season.

Leafs had 35 fights all of last season...21 already this year...Montreal 28, and 12 already...I'm sure being that physically and emotionally invested haven't done a thing for their new found success.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Funny...Bruins used to beat you AND beat you up...It's called being emotionally and physically invested. It's a combo of both, so save me the throw a bunch of goons together...this team seems to have a very long fuse this year in that regard.

Problem is , this year teams they used to steamroll like the Sabres and Leafs actually hit back...Of course the Bruins don't have to prove anything...maybe the "turn the other cheek , don't relatiate, don't dictate" is the theme the shortened season.

Leafs had 35 fights all of last season...21 already this year...Montreal 28, and 12 already...I'm sure being that physically and emotionally invested haven't done a thing for their new found success.

That's the Bruins team I know and love as well. I'm happy they're winning games, I just know that they are capable of much better hockey. If they're coasting and plan on amping up the beast mode come playoff time then fine, but I don't think it's that simple to just flip the switch and start crunching everything in sight.

The Bruins won a handful of games on their way to a Stanley Cup because they played a heavy and physical brand of hockey. I lost count of how many times I saw defenders refuse to retrieve a puck first when a Bruin was within 15 feet of 'em, and that just doesn't happen anymore. The other team needs to KNOW that if they're picking up a loose puck behind their net that they will be pasted into the glass. The one aspect that was so easy for them to control is seamingly gone from their game, and yes it concerns me going forward.

thegodfather

Dec 6, 2005
Stratford, Ontario

Funny thing about Scott, he becomes the punching bag when he fights the guys from Toronto.

Orr beat him and McLaren handled him pretty easy last night.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
Funny thing about Scott, he becomes the punching bag when he fights the guys from Toronto.

Orr beat him and McLaren handled him pretty easy last night.

I'm fine with useless fighters on one team fighting the useless fighters on another. Some people are even entertained by it. Orr, McLaren, Scott all useless.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'm fine with useless fighters on one team fighting the useless fighters on another. Some people are even entertained by it. Orr, McLaren, Scott all useless.

Agreed, there`s not one Bruin player who makes fighting Scott an even tradeoff for a 5 min stretch. Who cares about Scott, the Sabres are garbage with or without him, a total mess and good on them, talk about spending irresponsibly

Bi Coastal Bawse*

McQuaid has wanted to go but people don't want to go with him

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Guys like Richard Panik don't count... :laugh:

It's not just him, though. McQuaid has had several players refuse to go with him already this season. And I'm not referring to politely declining to engage, but dodging away. Nothing to be done in those circumstances unless you want to take the penalty.

Lots of whining about a 10-2-2 team here, but that's to be expected from B's fans.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
It's not just him, though. McQuaid has had several players refuse to go with him already this season. And I'm not referring to politely declining to engage, but dodging away. Nothing to be done in those circumstances unless you want to take the penalty.

Lots of whining about a 10-2-2 team here, but that's to be expected from B's fans.

How did their better record do vs Washington last year by the way in the play-offs when people like Mr Make Believe dare questioned them and their crap 3 months leading up to the play-offs? Heard the "lots of whinning bull ****" last year too when we people wondered where the clutch scoring would come from without Nasty Nate too when the Bruins were 20 games over 500.

I saw McQuaid refuse to fight Prust when up. Hey maybe McQuaid was afraid that Prust would turtle, who knows..See, works both ways.

There are people that can look objectively and see the Bruins aren't playing their game this year and talk about it... They still have a great system... they just seem to be playing it a different way.. Maybe it will all be good in April...Maybe they really just a two line team instead of the roll four lines like we have for 5 years. After all, our vaunted depth laden 3rd and 4th lines have seven total goals between them. Maybe this kinder, gentler Bruin team will be better off for it when the play-offs roll around.

Last edited:

SerenityRick

Jan 23, 2008
Moultonborough, NH
Chris Johnston ‏@reporterchris
Rick DiPietro is still under contract for eight seasons beyond this one.

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
Intent is to send DiPietro to Bridgeport. Kevin Poulin to be recalled once DiPietro clears. #Isles

8 more years left

And thus.. DiPietro's NHL career is more or less officially over.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
How did their better record do vs Washington last year by the way in the play-offs when people like Mr Make Believe dare questioned them and their crap 3 months leading up to the play-offs? Heard the "lots of whinning bull ****" last year too when we people wondered where the clutch scoring would come from without Nasty Nate too when the Bruins were 20 games over 500.

I saw McQuaid refuse to fight Prust when up. Hey maybe McQuaid was afraid that Prust would turtle, who knows..See, works both ways.

There are people that can look objectively and see the Bruins aren't playing their game this year and talk about it... They still have a great system... they just seem to be playing it a different way.. Maybe it will all be good in April...Maybe they really just a two line team instead of the roll four lines like we have for 5 years. After all, our vaunted depth laden 3rd and 4th lines have seven total goals between them. Maybe this kinder, gentler Bruin team will be better off for it when the play-offs roll around.

Hits are up Lou. Two out of our 5 most willing fighters have concussion issues (Rhyme with _orton), and the shortened, condensed season almost dictates a different style of play. Last year they came out like gangbusters, took on everyone who wanted a shot at the champ, and very clearly had no gas in the tank for the playoffs. They're doing exactly what they should be doing. The regular season in hockey is meaningless if you're a team like the Bruins.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Hits are up Lou. Two out of our 5 most willing fighters have concussion issues (Rhyme with _orton), and the shortened, condensed season almost dictates a different style of play. Last year they came out like gangbusters, took on everyone who wanted a shot at the champ, and very clearly had no gas in the tank for the playoffs. They're doing exactly what they should be doing. The regular season in hockey is meaningless if you're a team like the Bruins.

I have no problem as long as they do indeed turn it on for the play-offs..if this is their strategy then so be it but atleast we can see a difference in the way they are playing this year compared to the previous five. I will however have to deduct points off your fancard however. ;)

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
I have no problem as long as they do indeed turn it on for the play-offs..if this is their strategy then so be it but atleast we can see a difference in the way they are playing this year compared to the previous five. I will however have to deduct points off your fancard however. ;)

Wow, I had some left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad