GDT: 2013 - Around the League Games - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTaylorJ1

Sep 20, 2006
I have no problem as long as they do indeed turn it on for the play-offs..if this is their strategy then so be it but atleast we can see a difference in the way they are playing this year compared to the previous five. I will however have to deduct points off your fancard however. ;)

The other thing to consider really is who are the physical players in the top 9 now? There's Lucic and...

The top 9 are almost to a man hard workers, and really I think their board play has been excellent. Some of the work the top 6 have done the past two games, on the road, to set up goals on the cycle, love that brand of hockey.

But as they look to fill that last top 9 spot, I think fit is crucial. A 20-25 goal guy could come into this system and completely flop, where as a 15-20 goal guy that brings a physical edge and will play CJ's disciplined game might be just what the doctor ordered. Unfortunately they were begging Jordan Caron to be that guy and thus far he's politely declined.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
The other thing to consider really is who are the physical players in the top 9 now? There's Lucic and...

The top 9 are almost to a man hard workers, and really I think their board play has been excellent. Some of the work the top 6 have done the past two games, on the road, to set up goals on the cycle, love that brand of hockey.

But as they look to fill that last top 9 spot, I think fit is crucial. A 20-25 goal guy could come into this system and completely flop, where as a 15-20 goal guy that brings a physical edge and will play CJ's disciplined game might be just what the doctor ordered. Unfortunately they were begging Jordan Caron to be that guy and thus far he's politely declined.

We need another big body, agreed. Just someone to create some room for Kelly and Peverley.

DOGSTARMAN

Aug 1, 2005

This is why a guy like Tuomo Ruutu always seemed appealing. Can score some, can bang a lot. Of course he's not an option anymore, but somebody like that, or a slightly lesser version, would help in a few ways. Ryane Clowe is very appealing in this way but I doubt he ever gets to Boston. Michael Ryder is not quite that kind of player but is at least sturdy. Caron, yeah, wish he had panned out but that's either in the future or not at all. Don't see the internal option. Like you say, I don't want a pure finesse option unless he is a genuinely interesting offensive player/prospect and you just grab him because it's worth it.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Hits are up Lou. Two out of our 5 most willing fighters have concussion issues (Rhyme with _orton), and the shortened, condensed season almost dictates a different style of play. Last year they came out like gangbusters, took on everyone who wanted a shot at the champ, and very clearly had no gas in the tank for the playoffs. They're doing exactly what they should be doing. The regular season in hockey is meaningless if you're a team like the Bruins.

Horton is coming off of a concussion, Thornton suffered a concussion IN A FIGHT and McQuaid had major surgery that he wasn't supposed to be able to start the season after. The Bruins still have ten fights in 14 games (the least played in the entire league) which has them tied for tenth with six other teams. How many other teams have had a first line winger drop a legitimate NHL heavyweight like Lucic did to Carkner? The doom and gloom over team toughness if just unreal. Thornton lost one fight in large part because he's undersized but he's never had a problem with the 6'4", 230 pound heavyweights his entire career just the 6'8", 270 pound guy got him. If the Bruins don't have anybody that matches up with Scott I don't really care because I know Thornton matches just fine with every other heavyweight in the league just fine because he practically fought them all and I would say it's a safe bet Thornton would do a lot better in a rematch. The bottom line is you shouldn't let John Scott dictate what you do. If the Bruins were losing games and not getting in fights I'd be worried but they're the best team in the conference this season. Chris Bourque and Andrew Ference are my worries with this Bruins team, the lack of fighting is way down the list even well after Chara's play this season which has been below his standards.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Horton is coming off of a concussion, Thornton suffered a concussion IN A FIGHT and McQuaid had major surgery that he wasn't supposed to be able to start the season after. The Bruins still have ten fights in 14 games (the least played in the entire league) which has them tied for tenth with six other teams. How many other teams have had a first line winger drop a legitimate NHL heavyweight like Lucic did to Carkner? The doom and gloom over team toughness if just unreal. Thornton lost one fight in large part because he's undersized but he's never had a problem with the 6'4", 230 pound heavyweights his entire career just the 6'8", 270 pound guy got him. If the Bruins don't have anybody that matches up with Scott I don't really care because I know Thornton matches just fine with every other heavyweight in the league just fine because he practically fought them all and I would say it's a safe bet Thornton would do a lot better in a rematch. The bottom line is you shouldn't let John Scott dictate what you do. If the Bruins were losing games and not getting in fights I'd be worried but they're the best team in the conference this season. Chris Bourque and Andrew Ference are my worries with this Bruins team, the lack of fighting is way down the list even well after Chara's play this season which has been below his standards.

Maybe if it turns it up physically the rest of his game will come around? Chara has always known when to step up with a fight to get the team going or settle a score...Seems to be lacking there somwhat..

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

I sometimes wish the Bruins or players on other teams could see posts claiming the Bruins aren't tough to play against just so I could see the looks on their faces. :laugh:

Reminds me a bit of that old commercial of the kid riding "the Micheal Vick experience" with these huge snarling bodies flying at him from every direction. Perhaps there should be a "Bruins experience" so fans could be on the ice with guys like Lucic and Chara and see what it's really like.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI

The only part I'd disagree with. Because he's handled guys that big before.
After beating Boogaard i have no doubts Thornton can fight em all. All of the trade talk, and wanting to dress a couple of goons every night gets you no where.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Maybe if it turns it up physically the rest of his game will come around? Chara has always known when to step up with a fight to get the team going or settle a score...Seems to be lacking there somwhat..

22nd in the league among defencemen in hits after being 24th last year. He's still confronting guys out there, he stupidly left position to go after Ott for his hit on Krejci allowing a two on one the other way in a one goal game in the third period which started another disaster of a comeback by Buffalo, just last night Chara grabbed Pouliot after his hit on Bergeron and roughed up Conacher. Hasn't fought but it's been years since Chara had a good fight anyway.

If the Bruins can get physicality that can play I don't object. If they can get a big body to replace Bourque that's cool. Even if they get a Zac Rinaldo like is speculated in the other thread, I hate the kid because he's a sociopath and is so dirty after watching him play in London but at least he can play a fourth line shift and push Paille up to the third.

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I sometimes wish the Bruins or players on other teams could see posts claiming the Bruins aren't tough to play against just so I could see the looks on their faces. :laugh:

Reminds me a bit of that old commercial of the kid riding "the Micheal Vick experience" with these huge snarling bodies flying at him from every direction. Perhaps there should be a "Bruins experience" so fans could be on the ice with guys like Lucic and Chara and see what it's really like.

They are tough to play against... Just not as tough as they used to be...

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
22nd in the league among defencemen in hits after being 24th last year. He's still confronting guys out there, he stupidly left position to go after Ott for his hit on Krejci allowing a two on one the other way in a one goal game in the third period which started another disaster of a comeback by Buffalo, just last night Chara grabbed Pouliot after his hit on Bergeron and roughed up Conacher. Hasn't fought but it's been years since Chara had a good fight anyway.

If the Bruins can get physicality that can play I don't object. If they can get a big body to replace Bourque that's cool. Even if they get a Zac Rinaldo like is speculated in the other thread, I hate the kid because he's a sociopath and is so dirty after watching him play in London but at least he can play a fourth line shift and push Paille up to the third.

No he didn't...He went to get the puck, got it, then coughed it up.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I put this post in the wrong thread: those who are watching NHL network: does the NHL network have there own squad or do they pick up local broadcasts? I assume the sharks/hawks are hawks commentors but i'm not entirely sure because they deserved the "tire pumping" then my drunk ass whatched (err switched) to video games.

as a note; when the Bs don't play I play NHL to satiate my yearnings (unless I have better distractions which are (unfortunately) rarer then I'd like).

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
that reminds me, i can't remember now but was Looch thrown out of last years Canucks game for coming off the bench when he actually never came off the bench?? Or was it for something else?
He did when they accused him of coming off the bench when he didnt and the league rescinded it after the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad