Speculation: 2013/2014 Trade Speculation (All Players) | Part VII |

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah reading people throwing Maatta in a trade is annoying, same for Despres. I mean unless someone like Okposo or Johansen, or someone like that is coming back, but that's not happening at all so no.

People are talking about trading Maatta for Evander Kane.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
From what RS said today Bennet won't be back till late FEB. No way to definitively know if he'll be a regular in the top six..

Shero said "before or right after the Olympic break" in the interview. So it's only late February if he can't play before the break.

Either way, I didn't care for Shero's tone when the dude asked if he saw Bennett fitting in with Crosby and Kunitz. He kind of went like "uhhh well he missed a lot of hockey and uh". Given this team's lack of depth and skill, I would have expected an answer more on along the lines of "Bennett is a guy that will see plenty of time next to Sid". I mean I know he likes to defer to Bylsma, but at this point he's the only guy in the organization that can actually play that role.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Shero said "before or right after the Olympic break" in the interview. So it's only late February if he can't play before the break.

Either way, I didn't care for Shero's tone when the dude asked if he saw Bennett fitting in with Crosby and Kunitz. He kind of went like "uhhh well he missed a lot of hockey and uh". Given this team's lack of depth and skill, I would have expected an answer more on along the lines of "Bennett is a guy that will see plenty of time next to Sid". I mean I know he likes to defer to Bylsma, but at this point he's the only guy in the organization that can actually play that role.

What does he gain by saying that? If Gibbons is working Bennett will be lower in the lineup if not ge will likely get a shot there. Nothing to gain by penciling him in before he comes back.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
What does he gain by saying that? If Gibbons is working Bennett will be lower in the lineup if not ge will likely get a shot there. Nothing to gain by penciling him in before he comes back.

You're right he gains nothing. But it would sure be nice to hear that the GM of our hockey team has more faith in the organization's top winger prospect since Ryan ****ing Malone. I like Gibbons, but he's a stopgap at best. Bennett (or insert top 6 winger through trade) needs to be with Sid if we have any shot at winning a Cup.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
You're right he gains nothing. But it would sure be nice to hear that the GM of our hockey team has more faith in the organization's top winger prospect since Ryan ****ing Malone. I like Gibbons, but he's a stopgap at best. Bennett (or insert top 6 winger through trade) needs to be with Sid if we have any shot at winning a Cup.

Oh, i agree but theses guys just aint gonna paint themselves in a corner.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Oh, i agree but theses guys just aint gonna paint themselves in a corner.

I don't see it as painting themselves into a corner. I see it more as giving one of your best young prospects a nice public vote of confidence.

Like the end of last year when Despres was called a Top 4 defender... then promptly sent to WBS. Maybe that's not the best example.

And by saying that you're not crapping on Gibbons, or anyone else. I would think that would make Gibby work harder to try and force the team's hand to make them think twice about removing him from Sid's wing. I'm not sure that's how Gibby is wired, but I like to think he is.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Gibbons (or any other player that can score over 1PPG in the NCAA), is not necessarily chop liver. In all regards, he is probably a more demonstrated producer than Bennett has been.

I'm not saying he's better, but he is every bit of a talented prospect as BB is. Certainly more than "stop gap".

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Im starting to think maybe Bortuzzo is the best trade option. He is obviously down on the depth chart and i doubt that will be changing even if all the UFAs leave next year with Letang, Scuds, Martin, Maata, Despres all ready ahead of him and Doumolin, Harrington, Pouliot and Ruopp closing in.

His contract should have some value being locked in at 600K next year and only being a RFA after that. I'd imagine he would have some value to a team looking to get youger on the backend and want some snarl.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Im starting to think maybe Bortuzzo is the best trade option. He is obviously down on the depth chart and i doubt that will be changing even if all the UFAs leave next year with Letang, Scuds, Martin, Maata, Despres all ready ahead of him and Doumolin, Harrington, Pouliot and Ruopp closing in.

His contract should have some value being locked in at 600K next year and only being a RFA after that. I'd imagine he would have some value to a team looking to get youger on the backend and want some snarl.

I don't know what you think you'd get for Bortz... maybe a 4th rd pick, maybe. Defiantly not someone to plug the hole on Sid's line.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I don't see it as painting themselves into a corner. I see it more as giving one of your best young prospects a nice public vote of confidence.

Like the end of last year when Despres was called a Top 4 defender... then promptly sent to WBS. Maybe that's not the best example.

And by saying that you're not crapping on Gibbons, or anyone else. I would think that would make Gibby work harder to try and force the team's hand to make them think twice about removing him from Sid's wing. I'm not sure that's how Gibby is wired, but I like to think he is.

If you go and say that your telling Gibbons that no matter what you do your getting moved.

Also if they dont move him you gotta then answer the same "you said Bennett will be in there and why isnt he" question 1000 times.

Absolutely zero reason to say Bennett will be a 1st liner in an interview.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Gibbons (or any other player that can score over 1PPG in the NCAA), is not necessarily chop liver. In all regards, he is probably a more demonstrated producer than Bennett has been.

I'm not saying he's better, but he is every bit of a talented prospect as BB is. Certainly more than "stop gap".

No he's really not. Fair or not, NHL size matters a lot. Gibbons has to overcome the odds of his size to become a legit NHL contributor. Bennett is a better prospect than him, despite what their NCAA stats say.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
If you go and say that your telling Gibbons that no matter what you do your getting moved.

Also if they dont move him you gotta then answer the same "you said Bennett will be in there and why isnt he" question 1000 times.

Absolutely zero reason to say Bennett will be a 1st liner in an interview.

By not saying it you have to answer "why won't you commit to Bennett (your best young winger) to a scoring line role?" question 1000 times.

Either way you're being questioned (welcome to major sports).. but wouldn't you want to try and set-up your blue chipper for success. If you give the confidence booster it's not set in stone. Gibbons can produce and stick (look what happened to Dupuis years ago).

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
By not saying it you have to answer "why won't you commit to Bennett (your best young winger) to a scoring line role?" question 1000 times.

Either way you're being questioned (welcome to major sports).. but wouldn't you want to try and set-up your blue chipper for success. If you give the confidence booster it's not set in stone. Gibbons can produce and stick (look what happened to Dupuis years ago).

1. No you dont, because he will be there unless Gibbons is still producing.

2. Its not setting him up for anything if you guarentee him a spot in a radio interview. He knows where he stands, nothing is gain by handing him the spot while he is injured. There is much more to lose (Gibbons confidence, setting an expectation for Bennet youmight not be able to meet) than to gain.

Your just looking for an issue where there is none.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Bortuzzo will not get you a solid 3rd liner. He hasn't even proven to be an every day top 6 defenseman (thanks to Bylsma of course). His value is right around Lovejoy's.

Again maybe not alone but his value is better than Lovejoys. For one he wasnt an undrafted FA and two he is younger and three there is a thing called scouting and Bortuzzo has looked miles better than Lovejoy ever did here.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
1. No you dont, because he will be there unless Gibbons is still producing.

2. Its not setting him up for anything if you guarentee him a spot in a radio interview. He knows where he stands, nothing is gain by handing him the spot while he is injured. There is much more to lose (Gibbons confidence, setting an expectation for Bennet youmight not be able to meet) than to gain.

Your just looking for an issue where there is none.

I think all of this stems from some of our lack of trust with personnel decisions of the GM and coach. While it might seem obvious to us that Bennett should be glued to Crosby's hip once he's back, I'm not sure I believe Byslma sees it that way. That interview didn't do much to ease my worries (of course I know that's not Shero's goal).

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Again maybe not alone but his value is better than Lovejoys. For one he wasnt an undrafted FA and two he is younger and three there is a thing called scouting and Bortuzzo has looked miles better than Lovejoy ever did here.

Cool story dogg. You are just wrong on this one. Bortuzzo would be a throw in on a deal for McGinn or any legit 3rd liner that isn't a rental.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I can't quite get over the fact that we've gotten through 7 pages of discussion with regards to Speculation to do with trades when there hasn't been any speculation at all. :laugh:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Starting point for McGinn? I'd accept sweetener for McGinn, but I don't think Sakic is going to try to build a trade around Bortz for McGinn.

I dont know they dont seem to happy with McGinn, his name has come up repeatedly and he will be an RFA, they need defense (not sure if there looking more PMD or shutdown) but Bortz would be a good option to grow with their young core and instantly make them harder to play against. Now obviously McGinn is more proven and you might have to add a pick or prospect to balance but i think (if they like Bortz) he could be a starting point.

Ogelthorpe

Who do you play for?
Jul 21, 2010
No he's really not. Fair or not, NHL size matters a lot. Gibbons has to overcome the odds of his size to become a legit NHL contributor. Bennett is a better prospect than him, despite what their NCAA stats say.

Jeff Skinner, Kris Versteeg, Brian Gionta, Saku Koivu, Mike Cammelleri, Danny Briere, and Marty St Louis say hello. All are 5'10 or smaller.

Anyone who saw Johnny Gaudreau play in the 3 rivers classic will tell you he will be a star, and he is 5'7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad