Speculation: 2013/2014 Trade Speculation (All Players) | Part VI | Wanted: Replacement for Dupuis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think Edmonton will have an issue trading any of their players for big returns. Everyone just looks so bad there and it's probably hurting their value around the league. Because of that, those guys are probably more valuable to just keep. The problem then becomes that they can't improve without making any moves. It's an interesting situation.

Yes, "interesting." An interesting cluster****. ;)

Almost any player you get from Edmonton you're going to have to fix. I think they still have high value (an ever declining value, but it is still high), I just don't think that anyone will be able to pry them away from Edmonton and that the organization doesn't know how to improve. A good trade won't be had, not right now anyway.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Yes, "interesting." An interesting cluster****. ;)

Almost any player you get from Edmonton you're going to have to fix. I think they still have high value (an ever declining value, but it is still high), I just don't think that anyone will be able to pry them away from Edmonton and that the organization doesn't know how to improve. A good trade won't be had, not right now anyway.

Agreed. I've never seen a team with that much talent be so terrible. It's truly bizarre.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I think you meant to say "forward talent", because their blue liners are enough to make you vomit uncontrollably.

Well it also doesn't help that Schultz hasn't come close to living up to his hype and they traded one of their only respectable defensemen for basically nothing.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Well it also doesn't help that Schultz hasn't come close to living up to his hype and they traded one of their only respectable defensemen for basically nothing.

Yeah... I don't think they know what their problems are, "No one plays defense, get a new goalie?" Use the guy who played defense to make room.

Maybe Shero could convince them that Gladams and Niskanen are really worth something, something around Yakupov's value. Veteran, defensive forwards and our most reliable defenseman. :nod:

Michael8771*

The answer is always ''get rid of Gladams'' yes? DB and RS say NO! Some of you need to just accept it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Agreed. I've never seen a team with that much talent be so terrible. It's truly bizarre.

Their goaltending and defense is awful, probably the worst in the NHL. All of their skill players besides Hall have zero sandpaper to their game. They have a team that would be good in the KHL but not the NHL.

Part of the problem is they have a hard time attracting free agents to Edmonton to surround those young talented guys with veterans who are winners that can show them what it takes to win in the NHL. The guys they do get they are going to overpay out the ass to get or be guys no one else wants.

They're going to get Reinhart or Ekblad next year also. If I'm Edmonton I probably stay the course for this year, and see if I can lure some veteran D to the team. I'd look at trading Hemsky and Gagner.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I have a feeling that out of the young defensemen, Robert Bortuzzo is the one Shero moves in a package for a young winger.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Yeah... I don't think they know what their problems are, "No one plays defense, get a new goalie?" Use the guy who played defense to make room.

Maybe Shero could convince them that Gladams and Niskanen are really worth something, something around Yakupov's value. Veteran, defensive forwards and our most reliable defenseman. :nod:

:laugh:

You know, I think that compared to Eakins, Bylsma would be great with Yakupov.

Their goaltending and defense is awful, probably the worst in the NHL. All of their skill players besides Hall have zero sandpaper to their game. They have a team that would be good in the KHL but not the NHL.

Part of the problem is they have a hard time attracting free agents to Edmonton to surround those young talented guys with veterans who are winners that can show them what it takes to win in the NHL. The guys they do get they are going to overpay out the ass to get or be guys no one else wants.

They're going to get Reinhart or Ekblad next year also. If I'm Edmonton I probably stay the course for this year, and see if I can lure some veteran D to the team. I'd look at trading Hemsky and Gagner.

The sad part is that Bryz hasn't even been that bad.

I'd hope that they would draft Ekblad over Reinhart, but I don't really think they have a clue what they're doing.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I'd hope that they would draft Ekblad over Reinhart, but I don't really think they have a clue what they're doing.

I kinda want to see them take Reinhart just for the lulz in having all the talent in their top 6 and little to nothing else on the team.

Depending on what happens, they may not even have a shot at taking Ekblad. Buffalo could grab him if they want...then again, Edmonton and Calgary have been really bad lately.

Michael8771*

I have a feeling that out of the young defensemen, Robert Bortuzzo is the one Shero moves in a package for a young winger.
If that's the case then either we are gonna get a rental or a very marginal player back. Well, unless we part with a number one.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
If that's the case then either we are gonna get a rental or a very marginal player back. Well, unless we part with a number one.

Honestly I don't even know what type of guy we'd get back for Bort. It wouldn't be much. We'd probably get someone along the lines of TK for him :laugh:

I'd hate to deal Bort just because our team lacks toughness and if we play in a series against Boston, we'd be getting punked down so bad without guys like Bort/Engo.

Michael8771*

Honestly I don't even know what type of guy we'd get back for Bort. It wouldn't be much. We'd probably get someone along the lines of TK for him :laugh:

I'd hate to deal Bort just because our team lacks toughness and if we play in a series against Boston, we'd be getting punked down so bad without guys like Bort/Engo.
This is true, relative to the likely return it wouldn't be worth it.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Bortuzzo could possibly be in a package deal for someone, like something around him and Niskanen and a conditional pick.

What would that fetch us?

Michael8771*

Bortuzzo could possibly be in a package deal for someone, like something around him and Niskanen and a conditional pick.

Niskanen is on an expiring contract. IF RS reupped Nisky for a couple years then it would obviously be a bigger return (if the pens then traded him). As it stands now I wouldn't expect much. Although a rental winger with 3rd line capabilities could possibly be had.

Nisky is a having a great year relative to his talents, I believe RS is likely to sign him. I would do so, but I also would listen to trade offers.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004

A UFA, a very average young player and a conditional pick? Probably not much.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010

Not much. Bort is probably looked at as a 6/7 D-man around the league who happens to have some toughness to him. Those guys are a dime a dozen. There's more value for us to keep him.

M10

Dec 7, 2013
Eakins strikes me as the type of dude who gives motivational self help seminars and is real intense about virtually everything. I'm wondering if his shtick is something young kids buy into but something more mature, less influenced players kind of shake there head at after a while.

I hate to put the guy down, I may be off base too. Whatever. Just calling it as I see it.

Regardless, we have D, they need D. I think Yakupov is worth the risk. Get him under the wing of someone like Malkin. Kid needs a mentor, not coach Dr. Phil.

Last edited:

Fleury3434*

Jan 14, 2013
Also, the NHL should put a cap on the number of top 3 picks you can receive within say a 5 year time period. **** would change real fast in places like Edmonton. At the rate they are going, RNH will be 35 and they'll finally fill out there roster with number one picks.

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black lol. Go back and look at the pens draft picks when they sucked haha

M10

Dec 7, 2013
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black lol. Go back and look at the pens draft picks when they sucked haha

The Pens had there **** together sooner rather than later. No reason for Edmonton to be this bad still.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
You know what I realized? All of that, "the Pens are promoting Despres to showcase him for Winnipeg" talk was silly.

All we've heard for the past 2 weeks is how Winnipeg has more RHD than you can shake a stick at, so the Penguins are going to move a LHD to the right side for them? :)

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
You know what I realized? All of that, "the Pens are promoting Despres to showcase him for Winnipeg" talk was silly.

All we've heard for the past 2 weeks is how Winnipeg has more RHD than you can shake a stick at, so the Penguins are going to move a LHD to the right side for them? :)

Maybe they're finally trying to fit him in here when we're healthy. I'm fine dealing Maatta instead if it gets us a longterm guy for Sid. Maatta is likely the better player longterm, but Despres is at the very least his equal right now.

I wonder if Shero would be willing to capitalize on Maatta's rep around the league right now.

SteelFish87*

Pens should extend Bortuzzo for cheap like they did w engelland

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Maybe they're finally trying to fit him in here when we're healthy. I'm fine dealing Maatta instead if it gets us a longterm guy for Sid. Maatta is likely the better player longterm, but Despres is at the very least his equal right now.

I wonder if Shero would be willing to capitalize on Maatta's rep around the league right now.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad