Proposal: 2013-2014 Trade Deadline Talk - Part Deux - Kane, Wheeler & Patches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Cheveldayoff hasn't really made any 'big' trades since becoming a GM. His most significant was trading Oduya to the Hawks for a 2nd and a 3rd. A Kane trade would be the defining moment to his career.

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_GM/Kevin_Cheveldayoff/94

It's hard to tell if Shero would be able to screw him over or not :laugh:

Orpik + Niskanen + Dupuis for Kane

Veteran leadership top 4 physical D + top 4 PMD + Veteran top 6 winger that was a part of the best line in hockey for their young kind of unproven guy. :nod:

Shero would be screwed over in the best way possible. :yo:

IDK, I think it would depend more on who got removed from the Pens; there's an element of addition by subtraction there. Getting Kane would be great, unloading Dupuis' contract would be great (Bylsma), removing the temptation of re-signing Orpik/Niskanen and forcing them to play the young D would be great. Even if there's a sense of overpayment in some scenarios it's still the best result possible.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
If Winnipeg was willing to accept

Dupuis + Sutter + 1st + any D prospect of their choosing (including Maatta and Despres) + lesser prospect/mid-pick

would you do it?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Orpik + Niskanen + Dupuis for Kane

Veteran leadership top 4 physical D + top 4 PMD + Veteran top 6 winger that was a part of the best line in hockey for their young kind of unproven guy. :nod:

Shero would be screwed over in the best way possible. :yo:

IDK, I think it would depend more on who got removed from the Pens; there's an element of addition by subtraction there. Getting Kane would be great, unloading Dupuis' contract would be great (Bylsma), removing the temptation of re-signing Orpik/Niskanen and forcing them to play the young D would be great. Even if there's a sense of overpayment in some scenarios it's still the best result possible.

why not throw in Glass and Adams while we're at it :laugh:

Malkin4Top6Wingerz

Can you like, shutup
Mar 14, 2009
That's a pretty terrible deal for Winnipeg. Orpik and Niskanen are both UFAs at years end and aren't that great to begin with. Doubtful that Winnipeg is looking to add a 34 year old winger either.

The only way we get Kane is by giving them quality players / prospects, not throwing them a bunch of guys we don't mind losing.

Malkin4Top6Wingerz

Can you like, shutup
Mar 14, 2009
If Winnipeg was willing to accept

Dupuis + Sutter + 1st + any D prospect of their choosing (including Maatta and Despres) + lesser prospect/mid-pick

would you do it?

That's closer to what Winnipeg would be looking for in return although I just don't see why they'd want Dupuis.

Even if you change Dupuis to something of similar value I'd probably pull the trigger. Sutter is young and solid but I question whether or not he has much potential to improve, and if he doesn't then he can be replaced adequately in free agency or elsewhere (maybe trade for Letestu back, lol).

Kane, like Pacioretty is a pretty special player that's worth giving up a pretty hefty price for. With Sid he's a lock for 30 goals with the potential to hit 40+, much like Neal when he arrived.

Unlike the Neal situation though I just don't see the organizational need on both sides for a deal to go through. Or at least on WPG's side, anyways.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Yes I would. Build this team around Sid and Geno, even if we have to overpay to do it.

It would hurt losing Sutter/Despres or Maatta but I think I do it.

I'm not sure Winnipeg would, but I do think it actually helps them.

Sutter is a better hockey player than O. Jokinen, so although they'd be downgrading on the wing, they're upgrading a center, getting a future stud on defense (either paired with Trouba could be one of the best pairings in the league in a few years) a first, and something else to sweeten the deal.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
It would hurt losing Sutter/Despres or Maatta but I think I do it.

I'm not sure Winnipeg would, but I do think it actually helps them.

Sutter is a better hockey player than O. Jokinen, so although they'd be downgrading on the wing, they're upgrading a center, getting a future stud on defense (either paired with Trouba could be one of the best pairings in the league in a few years) a first, and something else to sweeten the deal.

if we could then somehow manage to get Ott...man oh man. :laugh:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Yes I would. Build this team around Sid and Geno, even if we have to overpay to do it.

Yeah, i'd overpay to build around the players we should have built around all this time! We may have had a few cups by now aswell.

Crosby
Kessel(instead of Staal?)
Malkin
Neal
BB
Kunitz
Parise :sarcasm:

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
if we could then somehow manage to get Ott...man oh man. :laugh:

:laugh:

I don't know what we'd have left of value to give Buffalo other than like a 2015 1st, but

Kane-Crosby-Bennett
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal
Jokinen-Ott-Megna/Kobasew
Glass-Vitale-Adams (I'm not even going to pretend it could change)

would be a damn good lineup.

Even without Ott, that top six could get us damn far even with a third line along the lines of Megna-Jokinen-Kobasew.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

I don't know what we'd have left of value to give Buffalo other than like a 2015 1st, but

Kane-Crosby-Bennett
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

Even without Ott, that top six could get us damn far even with a third line along the lines of Megna-Jokinen-Kobasew.

Botterill would be the new GM and he'd give us a good deal on Ott.:handclap:

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I know it is a novel concept, but before we make a big trade moving very good young pieces for a star who has enough warts that a team is considering selling him, how about we clean up our own redundancies?

You simply cannot tell me we are not capable of letting go of Orpik, Dupuis (as long as we consider him a third liner), Niskanen and Glass with virtually no loss, by simply letting other players already on the roster take over their spots.

That is 11 million dollars in cap room. Assume that Orpik brings back at least that third wheel for Malkin's line. We are a better team than we were before. Assume that Niskanen brings back a capable third liner with size and a bit of nasty. We are better still. And we still have the flexibility to improve at the deadline and more so moving forward.

Of course, if those players simply cannot be traded.... that is different.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I know it is a novel concept, but before we make a big trade moving very good young pieces for a star who has enough warts that a team is considering selling him, how about we clean up our own redundancies?

You simply cannot tell me we are not capable of letting go of Orpik, Dupuis (as long as we consider him a third liner), Niskanen and Glass with virtually no loss, by simply letting other players already on the roster take over their spots.

That is 11 million dollars in cap room. Assume that Orpik brings back at least that third wheel for Malkin's line. We are a better team than we were before. Assume that Niskanen brings back a capable third liner with size and a bit of nasty. We are better still. And we still have the flexibility to improve at the deadline and more so moving forward.

Of course, if those players simply cannot be traded.... that is different.
I do agree that we could improve a lot simply by removing the dead weight. The biggest wart I see in Evander Kane is that he needs a really good center to play with so he isn't always the main focus of the defense.

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA

Kane-Crosby-Bennett
Kunitz-Malkin-Neal

I'd love that lineup, that being said, we'll never see it. :laugh::rant:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I really really don't wanna lose my Despres...

My greatest fear would be losing Despres or Maatta would just guarantee Shero re-signing Orpik and/or Niskanen. That can't happen.

I don't know, trade Dupuis for whatever you can get, and whoever else that is a UFA next season. Let Jokinen, Orpik, Niskanen and Glass walk if they can't be traded (13M), and try to get someone in free agency if there aren't any trades available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad