Proposal: 2013-2014 Trade Deadline Talk - Part Deux - Kane, Wheeler & Patches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I do agree that we could improve a lot simply by removing the dead weight. The biggest wart I see in Evander Kane is that he needs a really good center to play with so he isn't always the main focus of the defense.

Trust me, I would love to have Evander Kane. However, he is also certain to be super expensive due to being the main draw in Winnipeg, young and projectable and all that..... and he simply has issues in terms of hockey IQ.

Being another left shot, there are also some things he just cannot help us with wrt the PP, and if we pay a huge price for anyone, I think that person should be a perfect fit. Like, you know, Bobby Ryan would have been.... or a Corey Perry had he not extended.

To be honest, while I certainly think Kane is the better player in a vacuum, I would prefer to get Wheeler for the Pens. I think he would improve us more than Kane would.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I do agree that we could improve a lot simply by removing the dead weight. The biggest wart I see in Evander Kane is that he needs a really good center to play with so he isn't always the main focus of the defense.

Kane certainly has issues on and off the ice. I think his off ice issues could be remedied by simply being around a lot of the guys on this team.

His on ice issues are his lack of vision, playmaking, and poor defensive play. Without having a talented playmaker on his line, he could be incredibly frustrating to watch. But with Sid/Beau, he would only have to worry about scoring goals and getting to the net.

That's why I wouldn't move Beau for him. If you take Sid out of the equation, I don't think Kane-Dupuis would be able to produce anything. Meanwhile, Kane-Bennett still has all the skills needed to produce offense on their own.

I'd love that lineup, that being said, we'll never see it. :laugh::rant:

I know :laugh:

I really really don't wanna lose my Despres...

Me neither. He's my favorite of all the D prospects. But if that's who it would take to get Sid his winger, I still do it, even if it hurts.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Trust me, I would love to have Evander Kane. However, he is also certain to be super expensive due to being the main draw in Winnipeg, young and projectable and all that..... and he simply has issues in terms of hockey IQ.

Being another left shot, there are also some things he just cannot help us with wrt the PP, and if we pay a huge price for anyone, I think that person should be a perfect fit. Like, you know, Bobby Ryan would have been.... or a Corey Perry had he not extended.

To be honest, while I certainly think Kane is the better player in a vacuum, I would prefer to get Wheeler for the Pens. I think he would improve us more than Kane would.

I really like the fact that Kane would be able and willing to stand up for Sid when people give him ****.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Naturally, but how high up is the source of the culture?

Kanes goal total is currently 87, it's fate. His number is 9, Disco would never notice the difference. Strike now, Shero!

i
i

I mean, they look pretty similar...:laugh: I look at both of those pictures and all I can see are eyebrows

AssistantCaptain*

I've thrown this offer around on the pens board before and got a somewhat positive response for it - Eberle + 1st for Letang.
But watching the games it looks as if Letang's a forward dressed as a defenseman. I haven't seen him really shutdown offensive juggernauts he just plays 200' of the ice. Do you people still hold him in high regard and think the pens success relies on his efforts? From what I've seen, I'd say the pens are collecting wins because they can edge out any team offensively. That's it.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I've thrown this offer around on the pens board before and got a somewhat positive response for it - Eberle + 1st for Letang.
But watching the games it looks as if Letang's a forward dressed as a defenseman. I haven't seen him really shutdown offensive juggernauts he just plays 200' of the ice. Do you people still hold him in high regard and think the pens success relies on his efforts? From what I've seen, I'd say the pens are collecting wins because they can edge out any team offensively. That's it.

99% of Letang's problems - and there ARE problems - are coaching/system related in my mind. Every defenseman who comes through the Pens' organization eventually makes the same mistakes. It doesn't matter who they are, how old, young, talented they are. The way the Pens play defense causes problems for everyone at some point or another. I firmly believe that if/when Letang leaves Pittsburgh and arrives at a team with a solid defensive system/structure, he'll be amazing. That's why I want to fire the coach, not trade the player.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

Letang used to be good defensively. Never great, but good. He is getting worse in that regard. Its very frustrating.

He has never been our shutdown guy, so as far as shutting down offensive juggernauts that has never been his role.

Give the kid a coach and he will be an amazing player.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
99% of Letang's problems - and there ARE problems - are coaching/system related in my mind. Every defenseman who comes through the Pens' organization eventually makes the same mistakes. It doesn't matter who they are, how old, young, talented they are. The way the Pens play defense causes problems for everyone at some point or another. I firmly believe that if/when Letang leaves Pittsburgh and arrives at a team with a solid defensive system/structure, he'll be amazing. That's why I want to fire the coach, not trade the player.

This, I'm not the biggest fan of his contract but there's something larger at play here. Letang is bad right now, but he's regressed to this point and he's been allowed to. I still think he's fairly stupid but he's not this stupid, Bylsma gets to everyone eventually. Letang is still highly correctable to me, you get him back to where he was and then you build on that. He needs structure and to be held accountable, the same can be said for a few of them.

AssistantCaptain*

So do you think he'd flourish on a team like the Oilers considering how front-heavy they are

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
So do you think he'd flourish on a team like the Oilers considering how front-heavy they are

without knowing anything about your coaching or your teams actual structure or systems, I have no idea. In theory, Letang would do very well on a high tempo offensive team. And having Shultz to be the main point-man on the powerplay would help. Letang is not a good PP QB. And that isn't because of coaching.

AssistantCaptain*

Sure, if that's what gets us Eberle.:laugh:
Crosby and Eberle on the same line...:poutine:

without knowing anything about your coaching or your teams actual structure or systems, I have no idea. In theory, Letang would do very well on a high tempo offensive team. And having Shultz to be the main point-man on the powerplay would help. Letang is not a good PP QB. And that isn't because of coaching.
Well, even the players don't know the system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->