Prospect Info: 2013-2014 Rangers Prospects Thread *Part II* (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 1/31)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArPanet

May 3, 2012
So the Pack won't make the playoffs probably. If they did, could DuClair play for them? Could he play for the Rangers after QR season ends? I don't mean could he hack it, I mean, what are the rules for this player? Is he eligible?

Seven Years

Mar 17, 2011
So the Pack won't make the playoffs probably. If they did, could DuClair play for them? Could he play for the Rangers after QR season ends? I don't mean could he hack it, I mean, what are the rules for this player? Is he eligible?

I'm not entirely sure what the rules are, but I think he isn't eligible to play for the Rangers.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I believe if he could he should play in the AHL next year. But he can't.

I don't think he has much to learn anymore at the Q, but it's better to let him play there one more year.

Maybe he does not have much to learn offensively in the Q, but his overall game still has holes that would get exposed in the pros.

He needs to learn to play bigger on a consistent basis and improve his defense. I would also like to see his offensive numbers improve a little more next year where he can prove to be a dominant scorer.

I remember in late 1995 the Oshawa Generals coach told the Blueshirt Bulletin that, "Marc Savard can score at will at this level."

I want to see The Duke reach this level next year.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

In theory, yes he could. However, the Ramparts are likely to go further than the Pack and the Rangers are unlikely to throw him out there in the middle of the playoffs unless he looks off the hook in practice. He would need to look like one of the top 5 Ranger forwards in practice to get thrown into the playoffs.

Nash, MZA, Kreider and Stepan are our top 4 (I am assuming Cally gets traded without an equivalent player coming back).

The Duke would need to look as good as Hagelin and Brassard in practice to get a shot at making his debut as an 18 year old in the playoffs.

Kreider a couple years ago was a different situation.

1. He was 20, not 18.
2. He is a beast physically at 6-3 230, so nobody was afraid of him getting overpowered.
3. He had experience against more developed players: college players are older than junior kids and he also played in the adult World Championship.
4. Kreider had a very limited role based on him having insane speed. He just had to stretch the opposing defense.
5. Even with Kreider, it wasn't the greatest idea.

I would love, however, to see him in Hartford if they could go on a big run and make the playoffs. Would show The Duke what he has to work on to become a good pro and we could see how well his game translates to the pros.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If "The Duke" isn't his nickname now, it should be. That's badass.

Bardof425*

In theory, yes he could. However, the Ramparts are likely to go further than the Pack and the Rangers are unlikely to throw him out there in the middle of the playoffs unless he looks off the hook in practice. He would need to look like one of the top 5 Ranger forwards in practice to get thrown into the playoffs.

Nash, MZA, Kreider and Stepan are our top 4 (I am assuming Cally gets traded without an equivalent player coming back).

The Duke would need to look as good as Hagelin and Brassard in practice to get a shot at making his debut as an 18 year old in the playoffs.

Kreider a couple years ago was a different situation.

1. He was 20, not 18.
2. He is a beast physically at 6-3 230, so nobody was afraid of him getting overpowered.
3. He had experience against more developed players: college players are older than junior kids and he also played in the adult World Championship.
4. Kreider had a very limited role based on him having insane speed. He just had to stretch the opposing defense.
5. Even with Kreider, it wasn't the greatest idea.

I would love, however, to see him in Hartford if they could go on a big run and make the playoffs. Would show The Duke what he has to work on to become a good pro and we could see how well his game translates to the pros.

I thought that if you take the Canadian Juniors route you need to be 20 to play in the A? Is that not true?

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Duclair is also the 1st star of the month in the QMJHL. He was the 2nd star of the month of December as well.

BOUCHERVILLE, Saturday February 3rd, 2014 - Anthony Duclair, Sébastien Auger and Jonathan Diaby were named today the TELUS three stars for the month of January.

The first star of the month is the Quebec Remparts’ forward Anthony Duclair. In 12 games, Duclair collected 28 points, including 14 goals. He had a career best offensive performance in the League on January 30 against the Halifax Mooseheads, with 7 points in a 8-2 win. The New York Ranger’s third pick is the QMJHL's best scorer with 45 goals. The Remparts won 10 out of their 12 games during the first month of the year.

http://theqmjhl.ca/article/duclair-...us-three-stars-of-the-month-of-january/158565

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Regarding Duclair next year, note that he's extremely young for his draft class - he missed being a 2014 draftee by 3 weeks, I think. Given his spectacular season, it is extremely reasonable to say that he might be a top ten pick if he were still available this year. Guys that good do sometimes make the team out of camp in their post draft year - and Leslie I believe has commented that she thinks it's possible.

Also, Beacon, I hear what you're saying, but he quite frankly is playing at that level now. He's been the player of the week for two straight weeks. Who was the last guy to get it in three straight - Crosby? (I honestly don't know.) Look at the month by month progression in his scoring:

http://theqmjhl.ca/roster/show/id/8559

In September, he was 5-2-7 over 4 games, or 1.75ppg.
In October, he was 10-6-16 over 12 games, or 1.33 ppg.
In November, he was 7-5-12 over 12 games, or 1.1ppg.
In December, he was 9-13-22 over 10 games, or 2.2ppg.
In January, he was 14-14-28 over 12 games, or 2.33ppg.

I'm not sure how much more dominant you can be than he has been for the last two straight months...

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The last two months he's been absolutely dominant, but it's still just two months. If he can keep up the 2 points per game pace the rest of the season, maybe the Rangers would consider throwing him to the wolves in the playoffs, but I'd be careful with that.

Also, I don't want him playing more than 9 games this season no matter what. We can't afford to kill another year of our prospect's ELC. Not good cap management. Unless he comes in and becomes an instant difference maker, it doesn't make sense to kill a year of ELC.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The Butcher is 6th on his team in scoring, 5th in points per game. He definitely established himself as a quality KHL player, an amazing accomplishment for an 18 year old in the second best league in the world.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
The last two months he's been absolutely dominant, but it's still just two months. If he can keep up the 2 points per game pace the rest of the season, maybe the Rangers would consider throwing him to the wolves in the playoffs, but I'd be careful with that.

Also, I don't want him playing more than 9 games this season no matter what. We can't afford to kill another year of our prospect's ELC. Not good cap management. Unless he comes in and becomes an instant difference maker, it doesn't make sense to kill a year of ELC.

Oh, I'm not suggesting he join for the PO run. I'm saying he might - MIGHT - make the team out of camp next year.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I thought that if you take the Canadian Juniors route you need to be 20 to play in the A? Is that not true?

Im pretty sure it is true.

You can't join the AHL until the year you turn 20, I believe, if you were drafted out of a Canadian Major Junior league.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Maybe he does not have much to learn offensively in the Q, but his overall game still has holes that would get exposed in the pros.

He needs to learn to play bigger on a consistent basis and improve his defense. I would also like to see his offensive numbers improve a little more next year where he can prove to be a dominant scorer.

I remember in late 1995 the Oshawa Generals coach told the Blueshirt Bulletin that, "Marc Savard can score at will at this level."

I want to see The Duke reach this level next year.

I don't know what you mean by play bigger. If you want him going for big hits and taking runs at guys, that's not exactly his game.

I also don't know what you mean by improve his defense. I mean, it's not great, but it is above average. He backchecks and plays on the PK. It's not as if he coasts defensively.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

its based on where you are playing when you are drafted...for example jt miller was drafted out of the US NDT and then went to play juniors, so the rule didn't apply and he was able to play in the ahl as a 19 year old.

however the comment was talking about after the remparts season is over. once his junior team is finished then duclair would become eligible to play in hartford the rest of the season. then next season since he'd be 19 it would again be the NHL or juniors until his junior season is over.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Any player drafted out of the CHL must complete 4 years in the CHL or reach age 20 by a certain date. Usually that's the same thing as the only players who complete 4 years before reaching age 20 are ones who get exceptional status.

Any player playing in the CHL for the first time AFTER being drafted can play anywhere they want. We saw this with JT Miller. He played 1 year in the CHL after being drafted out of the USHL. Then he played in the AHL as a 19 year old.

Once a player's season in done in the CHL, they can play wherever they want for the remainder of the season. This means they can sign an ATO with an AHL team and play for them until their season ends. They can play in the NHL if they have an NHL contract.

It's likely that Duclair will be in the playoffs and the Wolfpack won't, so the Pack might not have any games left when Duclair's season is done. Next year he will have to play in the CHL or in the NHL.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
How many games does he have left? Also what's the most the top guys got in recent memory?

Quebec has 17 games left.

The highest recent goal output in the Q to my knowledge is Sidney Crosby, he had 66 in 2004-2005

Alexander Radulov had 61 goals in 2005-2006.

I don't think anybody has broken 60 goals since then.

EDIT: Thomas Beauregard had 71 in 2006-2007, and Maxim Boisclair had 70 in 2005-2006, but they were both overagers.

Last edited:

Vidic15*

Any news on Nieves? Has he got over his sophomore slump? It would be nice to see him at least finish the season strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad