Prospect Info: 2013-2014 Rangers Prospects Thread *Part II* (Player Stats in Post #1; Updated 1/31)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Kreider and it's not really close.

As of now, in my opinion:

Shot- Kreider>Duclair

Skating- Duclair>>Kreider

On ice vision/Passing- Kreider>Duclair

Physicalty- Kreider>>Duclair

Stickhandling- Duclair>Kreider

Dirty Work- Kreider≥Duclair

Agility- Duclair>>Kreider

Of course, no one has seen Duclair at the professional level at all. So these could of course change. And he's still a work in progress.

You'd be better off asking this question after next year.

Agreed, except for the bolded. Since you've got agility as a separate category, wouldn't "skating" mostly be mostly about speed? In which case, this would be more like a Duclair = Kreider. Duclair has great speed, but Kreider has great speed in the NHL.

If it's not about speed, then you may want to add that as a separate category.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Duclair is a much better skater than Kreider?? If so he should be in the NHL right now. I don't care how old he is.

He's more agile than Kreider, and can turn on a dime better. His skating is similar to Hagelin's, though not as fast.

Kreider is a good straight-forward going to the net skater. He doesn't have much agility to his game.

And it would be a mistake to bring Duclair to the NHL right now.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Agreed, except for the bolded. Since you've got agility as a separate category, wouldn't "skating" mostly be mostly about speed? In which case, this would be more like a Duclair = Kreider. Duclair has great speed, but Kreider has great speed in the NHL.

If it's not about speed, then you may want to add that as a separate category.

Yeah, you're right there.

To clear it up, Kreider is definitely faster than Duclair, if they are skating in a straight line.

However, Duclair is much more shifty, and agile. Again, similar to Hagelin.

Gonna go edit that now.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Kreider, at least this year has scored only a handful of his goals with his shot. I honestly can't remember one outside of the first goal against the Canucks. He had one against Dallas in the first game but it was deflected. I still don't know why people say he has a great shot. Most of his goals are dirty goals, nothing wrong with that but his shot has been mediocre. In previous seasons he scored a goal on a VERY nice shot against NJ and on a nice shot that Holtby should have had. Still mostly scored deflections and stuff.

You're right about this year, but his history in the WJC, in college and in past seasons shows that he has a fantastic shot. And he's flashed it a couple of times this year (and unfortunately has hit posts and/or had it saved), but I think he's somewhat deemphasized it due to a) his deference to Nash and b) his focus on getting to the front of the net.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
You're right about this year, but his history in the WJC, in college and in past seasons shows that he has a fantastic shot. And he's flashed it a couple of times this year (and unfortunately has hit posts and/or had it saved), but I think he's somewhat deemphasized it due to a) his deference to Nash and b) his focus on getting to the front of the net.

With a good setup guy like Stepan, I don't think he should defer to Nash and should also try to score. Glad he's going to the net though, he's a load there. IMO our best player in that regard. I think if he brings back the shot and starts shooting, he'll be a monster. Will be great if he gets his game back with Nash playing how he is now and the Zucc line.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
With a good setup guy like Stepan, I don't think he should defer to Nash and should also try to score. Glad he's going to the net though, he's a load there. IMO our best player in that regard. I think if he brings back the shot and starts shooting, he'll be a monster. Will be great if he gets his game back with Nash playing how he is now and the Zucc line.

Agreed. Hopefully that comes in time.

He has a long history of being modest and deferring to other players - kind of a "gosh, I can't believe I'm here - thanks for having me, fellas. I'll do my best not to let you down!" approach, if you know what I mean. One of the things you'd like to see is a little more selfishness in regards to scoring goals.

I have high hopes that the added chippiness we've seen this year (which is something completely new for him, at least in my viewings over the years) is a first step in that direction.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Is Carl Hagelin somewhat of a fair comparison?

You know, in terms of -- style --, ie not to put unnecessary expectations on the kid, I think he is very similar to Simon Gagne. He is a scorer who covers a lot of ice and moves his feet well. Maybe that is hard to interpret for the younger crowed, since Gagne turned into a pretty stationary sniper in his older days. But Gagne during most of his career had a real good drive in his skating and covered a lot of ice, drove with the puck to the net often etc etc etc.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Number of current NYRers by development league...

NCAA- 7
OHL-7
SEL-3
QMJHL-2
WHL-2

So far as I can see.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Blog by a Montreal reporter who actually hates the Quebec Remparts.

Team Canada needed Anthony Duclair

Anthony Duclair was not invited to the Team Canada junior camp and seeing how well he plays this season, Hockey Canada officials must regret their decision.

Canada's players have struggled to score goals, which is not a problem for the star of the Quebec Remparts, who leads the QMJHL with 45 goals in 49 games.

Jean-François Plante (43), from the Victoriaville Tigres, and Anthony Mantha (42), from the Val D'or Foreurs, are behind him.

Apart from Duclair's scoring talents, his speed would have been very helpful on the big ice surface at the World Juniors, where Canada finished fourth for the second consecutive year.

The Quebecer just completed an amazing month of January: in 12 games, he collected 14 goals and 14 assists.

He ranks second in scoring in the QMJHL, with 85 points, three less points than Mantha, but he played 8 more games.

We will remember his seven (2-5) points game on Jan. 30 against Halifax, the best performance of his career.

He his the "hottest" player in the QMJHL right now.

He had difficult second season in the QMJHL last year, but this year, he just exploded.

His low points production had also pushed him back the draft.

Finally drafted in the third round (80th) by the New York Rangers, Duclair has seen his efforts rewarded by signing his first professional contract in early 2014.

The good news for Hockey Canada is that Anthony Duclair is 18 years old and will still qualify for the World Juniors next year.

http://blogues.lapresse.ca/hockey-j...nada-aurait-eu-bien-besoin-d’anthony-duclair/

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
So nobody answered my question about the duke. Can he hit or not? Where will he play next season?

He doesn't shy away and he's added some grittiness to his game as he's gotten older/bigger. He showed it at prospect camp during some of the scrimmages he was battling hard along the boards.

How does his shot compare to Gabby's? I'm guessing not as good as Gabby's was ultra elite for a while.

Already answered but it's not really a fair comparison, Duclair has a very nice sneaky shot and doesn't need a lot of room to get it off. Nice release and in close he is very dangerous. Similar to both Gaborik and Nash in that regard while not comparing them just using them as an example.

Duclair is a much better skater than Kreider?? If so he should be in the NHL right now. I don't care how old he is.

This statement is just wrong. Doesn't matter how good of a skater someone is if the rest of their game isn't developed they don't belong in the NHL. Duclair is a very, very good skater better than Kreider in all aspects except straight ahead speed IMO, Kreider accelerates quicker too.

So basically nothing to do with Carl Hagelin other than some minor aspects of this game?

Never liked that comparison, Hagelin isn't as good on his edges or as agile as Duclair either. Duclair's skating really is special, aside from that though Hagelin doesn't have his hands although shots may be comparable. Hagelin has a pretty good wrister we just don't see it very often.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano

He doesn't shy away and he's added some grittiness to his game as he's gotten older/bigger. He showed it at prospect camp during some of the scrimmages he was battling hard along the boards.

Thanks for the feedback.
If he can do that consistently, he is a keeper.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
As a left shooting left wing, if he develops enough offensive confidence it's possible he'd become an off-wing player, but for now he's sticking to the natural side which makes his goal scoring even more impressive, because it means he isn't generating everything by cutting inside.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Duclair is the 1st star in the QMJHL for the 2nd consecutive week.

BOUCHERVILLE, Monday February 3rd, 2014 - Anthony Duclair, Valentin Zykov and François Tremblay were named today the TELUS three stars of the week for January 27 to February 2, 2014

The first star of the week, for the second consecutive week, is the Quebec Remparts’ forward Anthony Duclair. In two games, he tallied 10 points. Thursday against the Halifax Mooseheads, Duclair got a career-high 7 points in a 8-2 win. That is also a QMJHL high this season. With 85 points, Anthony is only three points away from the League leader, Anthony Mantha.

http://theqmjhl.ca/article/duclair-zykov-and-tremblay-named-the-telus-three-stars-of-the-week/158550

That's his 3rd 1st star this season. He also got a 2nd star and a 3rd star.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
As always, thank you for news updates Serge.

3 1st stars is pretty damn impressive.

Bardof425*

Already answered but it's not really a fair comparison, Duclair has a very nice sneaky shot and doesn't need a lot of room to get it off. Nice release and in close he is very dangerous. Similar to both Gaborik and Nash in that regard while not comparing them just using them as an example.

This statement is just wrong. Doesn't matter how good of a skater someone is if the rest of their game isn't developed they don't belong in the NHL. Duclair is a very, very good skater better than Kreider in all aspects except straight ahead speed IMO, Kreider accelerates quicker too.

Never liked that comparison, Hagelin isn't as good on his edges or as agile as Duclair either. Duclair's skating really is special, aside from that though Hagelin doesn't have his hands although shots may be comparable. Hagelin has a pretty good wrister we just don't see it very often.

Except that if he is that good of a skater AND he is on pace for 115 points he is probably NHL ready. Unless you're telling me that everything else he does (i.e., play away from the puck, 50/50 battles is poor). My guess is he's not as strong on his skates as Kreider or as explosive to start and as fast and therefore is not ready for those reasons and the idea that he is a much better skater than Kreider is simply not true.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Except that if he is that good of a skater AND he is on pace for 115 points he is probably NHL ready. Unless you're telling me that everything else he does (i.e., play away from the puck, 50/50 battles is poor). My guess is he's not as strong on his skates as Kreider or as explosive to start and as fast and therefore is not ready for those reasons and the idea that he is a much better skater than Kreider is simply not true.

I believe if he could he should play in the AHL next year. But he can't.

I don't think he has much to learn anymore at the Q, but it's better to let him play there one more year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad