Pre-Game Talk: 2013-2014 Rangers pre-season discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Let's not forget the cap is going up. The contracts that comparable players signed years ago aren't 1:1 comparisons of how reasonable any deal will be next year or in the following years.

I think that'd be absolutely idiotic to trade Girardi and/or Callahan short of a huge return. What's the point of developing your own guys only to trade them at their peaks? Yeah, a team needs some elite players, and yeah, a team needs guys playing over their contracts, but not everyone has to be elite and not everyone needs to play over their pay. You can have a few glue guys who are slightly overpaid for their on ice contributions if they're important to the team. I think both of those guys have more than earned to stay Rangers forever if they choose to get paid something reasonable.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Hank will get more than 8.5 on the open market, so if thats what hes asking I'm not sure why the Rangers haven't offered it.

No brainer.

Notice how I favor the player when he actually has some leverage.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Hank will get more than 8.5 on the open market, so if thats what hes asking I'm not sure why the Rangers haven't offered it.

No brainer.

because its 9 months from free agency and if you want to put a competitive team on the ice you, as management, try to keep individual salary as low as you can so you dont have a bunch of scrubs scattered throughout the lineup.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

No brainer.

I don't think thats particularly true.

In fact, its probably not true if you're talking 7/8 years.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I know that they all but have to...but there is a big part of me really against giving a goalie $8M+ per, at age 32.

Lundqvist has every right to demand it...and by any metric he is worth it...but that is the kind of contract where you need to basically carry a team kicking and screaming to the SCF a la Hasek to keep public opinion behind you in the way it currently is.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I know that they all but have to...but there is a big part of me really against giving a goalie $8M+ per, at age 32.

Lundqvist has every right to demand it...and by any metric he is worth it...but that is the kind of contract where you need to basically carry a team kicking and screaming to the SCF a la Hasek to keep public opinion behind you in the way it currently is.

Agreed.

Which brings us back to where we were before it was "all about Stepan"...

If Hank wants $ he'll get it... but that would be diametrically in opposition to him getting a Cup. Only he can decide what he wants more. If he wants to win he should be taking a home-town discount.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Bob McKenzie was just on NHL Live on NBC Sports. They asked him about a Lundqvist extension and he said he believes the biggest hold up will be the term. He said the Rangers are hesitant to give him a 7 or 8 year deal where he's getting big money when he's 40 years old and may not be playing at the level of his salary. He went on to say he believes the Rangers would give him more per year if he was willing to take a shorter term deal.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
Bob McKenzie was just on NHL Live on NBC Sports. They asked him about a Lundqvist extension and he said he believes the biggest hold up will be the term. He said the Rangers are hesitant to give him a 7 or 8 year deal where he's getting big money when he's 40 years old and may not be playing at the level of his salary. He went on to say he believes the Rangers would give him more per year if he was willing to take a shorter term deal.

While I think you can field a better team with a mid-tier, lower paid goalie and a more well-rounded lineup, I wouldn't trust Sather to spend those savings well.

As a result, I wouldn't blink giving Lundqvist 'Malkin money' (9.5) for 5 years. But pending a major injury, Lundqvist holds all the cards, and he'll get his maximum term from the Rangers or someone else.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Okay, it's time for the real stuff. No further need for this!

picture.php

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad