Pre-Game Talk: 2013-2014 Rangers pre-season discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
So are we just going to not sign any of our upcoming UFAs before the season?

Going to let them all pull the "wont talk during the season" ********? Really never understood the players who say that. IMO its more of a distraction to NOT be signed and have UFA looming.

I'm totally OK with the lowballing and whatnot with our RFAs, but I'd really like to have some of these re-signings done with our UFAs. Get Hank signed.

I'd love to get Lundqvist signed to a nice deal. But hes our crown jewel, wouldn't be surprised if he used the market to drive his price up.

The other guys? Who cares? I mean, honestly. The Rangers will never be a championship team if they keep stuffing their core with good, but not great, players.

Guys like Girardi and Callahan are very good players that we'll wind up paying like great ones. This season will go a long way in determining if this core stays together. No need to rush into signing them.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I'd love to get Lundqvist signed to a nice deal. But hes our crown jewel, wouldn't be surprised if he used the market to drive his price up.

The other guys? Who cares? I mean, honestly. The Rangers will never be a championship team if they keep stuffing their core with good, but not great, players.

Guys like Girardi and Callahan are very good players that we'll wind up paying like great ones. This season will go a long way in determining if this core stays together. No need to rush into signing them.

Fair point. At least get Hank signed though. Its just uneasy going through a season and having so many question marks for the following year.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
whats in front of you were 5 meaningless ex games that nobody gave a **** about, they're vets and that's ok.
Who is "nobody"? Don't want to spoil your parade, but players should show "something". What has Richard shown you so far that he deserves to be playing? Just using him as an example.
If you think that Nash, Richards, Lunqvist are going to bust their ass for meaningless games I don't know what to say that will assuage your "sense of betrayal":sarcasm:
No betrayal. Just do not like what I see. And what I see reminds me of teams and players that were paraded through some of the darkest years in NYR history.
Games are for real Thursday night than you will see a sense of urgency. LGR
Sorry, I am not a believer that players can just turn it on and turn it off. At least not most players. Michael Jordan believed that that great players practice great. There last several years were among the Rangers best in the last 25 years. It is not a surprise that they entered camp with a mentality. That mentality carried into preseason games. And the regular season thereafter.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Who is "nobody"? Don't want to spoil your parade, but players should show "something". What has Richard shown you so far that he deserves to be playing? Just using him as an example.

No betrayal. Just do not like what I see. And what I see reminds me of teams and players that were paraded through some of the darkest years in NYR history.

Sorry, I am not a believer that players can just turn it on and turn it off. At least not most players. Michael Jordan believed that that great players practice great. There last several years were among the Rangers best in the last 25 years. It is not a surprise that they entered camp with a mentality. That mentality carried into preseason games. And the regular season thereafter.

I can ignore the results of the games. But to hold the lead for a five minutes in four games is just not a good thing. And to be so thoroughly outplayed — in effort and score — is cause for concern.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Lundqvist’s representatives at Newport Sports have been in a steady dialogue with Rangers management since early last month, but sources have told The Post that little progress has been made in sealing a deal that would keep the King from becoming an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

The sides are believed to be separated on both contract length and dollars, with Lundqvist, who will turn 32 in March, seeking the maximum eight-year term allowed under the CBA for at least $8.5 million per.

Management and Callahan’s representatives have been in contact, but are not believed to be far along in the process. Judging from the market, Callahan likely will be able to attract offers of seven years at between $6 million and $7 million per as an unrestricted free agent.

“I have no problem talking during the season,†the captain, who will turn 29 in March, told The Post.

“But as soon as it becomes a distraction or gets into my head, that’s when I’ll end it.

“I’m going to keep an open mind. But I love it here and want to be here.â€

http://nypost.com/2013/10/02/lundqvist-done-partaking-in-or-mentioning-rangers-contract-talks/

Bob McKenzie reported term is the main area of disagreement with Lundqvist.

How much for Callahan?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
hahaha no way someone would pay Callahan $6-7 mill

I love the guy but he's not worth that

McDonagh

Slow it down 30GHz
Mar 8, 2009

Well, if Clarkson got $5.25M I wouldn't be surprised to see Callahan get insane offers. I'm not 100% sure as a Rangers fan, but I get the vibe that Callahan is very well liked around the league for what he brings on the ice. If not for injuries and the shortened season Callahan has at least one possibly a couple more 30 goal seasons to go along with the warrior type of game he plays.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Well, if Clarkson got $5.25M I wouldn't be surprised to see Callahan get insane offers. I'm not 100% sure as a Rangers fan, but I get the vibe that Callahan is very well liked around the league for what he brings on the ice. If not for injuries and the shortened season Callahan has at least one possibly a couple more 30 goal seasons to go along with the warrior type of game he plays.

With the way he plays and the size he plays at, it will also lead to a shorter career ala Drury.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010

Clarkson got 5.25 a year over 7 years, and he's not as good as Cally. Cally will get a good deal from someone and I hope it's to stay as captain of the Rangers.

frozenrubber

Sponsor
Nov 27, 2005
Brooklyn
Clarkson got 5.25 a year over 7 years, and he's not as good as Cally. Cally will get a good deal from someone and I hope it's to stay as captain of the Rangers.

If it's to be believed, David Clarkson got offers of 6 million/yr (no notes on term) from the Oilers and Senators.

With Clarkson/Clowe as recent comparison, most definitely a younger Callahan could find a 6 million/5 year deal (not to mention a larger cap).

(Not endorsing it, just the facts that he will get paid significantly)

Last edited:

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
This is usually where Kershaw would come in and try to convince us that Clarkson>Callahan :( </3

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
If Callahan wants anything north of 5.5 mill I trade him without even thinking about it.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
I think some of you are forgetting that the cap is going up. I'm not saying that we should re-sign every player, but we have the space to do so pretty easily. I put together the below line-up quickly, so apologies for any errors, but I think it's a good example of how we can fit everyone in and still have a ton of cap space:

FORWARDS
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Ryan Callahan ($6.000m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Derick Brassard ($4.000m) / Jesper Fasth ($0.900m)
Chris Kreider ($1.400m) / J.T. Miller ($1.244m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Marek Hrivik ($0.685m) / Oscar Lindberg ($0.760m) / Brian Boyle ($2.000m)
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Marc Staal ($3.975m)
Michael Del Zotto ($3.500m) / Dan Girardi ($5.200m)
John Moore ($2.400m) / Dylan McIlrath ($1.295m)
Justin Falk ($1.100m) /
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
OTHER
Buyout: Brad Richards ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,980,000; BONUSES: $1,165,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $8,185,000

This includes raises for Callahan, Brassard, Kreider (who might not even deserve it), Moore, Lundqvist, Boyle, Del Zotto, and Girardi. Some of the raises might be low, but we still have 8.2m(!) in cap space. Again, not saying that we should definitely re-sign everyone, but giving Callahan 6m is far from a deal breaker. I should also add that this is contingent on Richards being bought out, so lets all cross our fingers for no injury there.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
At best, Callahan should hope to get what Dustin Brown got. Anything more than that and I'd let him walk. He's simply not a $6-7M player. Seems like positioning to get to that $5.6-5.8 range.

Not surprised term is the issue for Lundqvist. Hard to fathom paying a guy over $8.5M per year until he's 40, even with the cap going up.

Soth

Feb 18, 2010
Of course I haven't really followed the rangers pre-season, but I thought they played well against Vancouver. In fact, I think the rangers played better than the canucks that game. If your goalie plays his usual stellar game, I think you guys would have easily taken that game. Luongo made his team look better than they deserved.

In the presser torts also said he thought Rangers had a very good game, and he didn't like Vancouver's game there.

Bullseyes

Aug 16, 2013

Maybe someone, look at what others got this post season. But I surely wouldn't give him that. Let him walk if he wants that or trade him. I like him as a player, but he's not that good and I don't see the justification for paying him that. I wouldn't say Clarkson and Clowe are reasons to do it either, as I don't like those contracts.

I'd also struggle to give Lundqvist that long of a contract at that price, but it'd be easier for me to do that give Callahan that money.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I'd pay Callahan what we're paying Richards.

No way I'm paying Callahan a dime more than $6M. I'm not even sure I want to pay him more than $5.25M, or even that. If he was bringing up $6M+/year figures in contract negotiations I'd be looking to trade him, seriously.

You cannot pay a player whose value lies on special teams play $6M+, he isn't good enough 5v5 to warrant such a contract.

I mean we're approaching Bergeron money here, Bergeron is in a whole different echelon from Callahan.

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Of course I haven't really followed the rangers pre-season, but I thought they played well against Vancouver. In fact, I think the rangers played better than the canucks that game. If your goalie plays his usual stellar game, I think you guys would have easily taken that game. Luongo made his team look better than they deserved.

In the presser torts also said he thought Rangers had a very good game, and he didn't like Vancouver's game there.

It was the inverse of the last Rangers-Vancouver game in Rodgers Arena, where the Rangers won 4-0 despite being run out of the building.

I think the Rangers won the 5v5 shots 34-12. Sure there were likely some score effects at play due to the Canucks big lead, but that is just pure domination.

Blue Blooded

Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Whys it seem like we have the hardest time re-signing anyone?

Because we have two players whose perceived value lie way above their actual value. I don't want to see either Callahan nor Girardi extended until Feburary when we have had a proper look at how they fit with AV's system.

These two are probably the players that benefited by far the most from Torts' stone age hockey. I think they will suffer a bit when more is required of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad