Pre-Game Talk: 2013-2014 Rangers pre-season discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
People seem to forget that it was only a few years ago that Girardi was tied with a bunch of other players for the 6th most goals from a D on the PP in the league. That was 5 seasons ago, but the ability is there.

Punxrocknyc19*

Nash looked like the concussed Eric Lindros—a big strong player who plays on the perimeter.

i dont understand why Rangers always trade for big forwards, that either play on the premieter, scared to crash the net, or dont use their size to their ability (either playing physical, using the size down low or for defensive plays) Rangers need some toughness and skil in their top 6. i cant wait till Kaleta does his another cheapshot play that the refs will miss, maybe it will force the Rangers to stick up for their teammates... the Hawks are not the most physical team but they always defend their teammates with guys like Seabrook, Shaw, Bickell, Brookbank, Bollig dropping the gloves.. and sometimes Towes gets into a fight..

i wish Rick Nash would have his heart... Nash has the heart of a waterbug...

Last edited by a moderator:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
JT Miller on the PP. In Edmonton game,Miller was used in front of the net as net presence. AV discussed how he used Ryan Kesler in front of the net. Kesler hated it but he did pretty well.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
AV is on with Francesa. 60 games for Lundqvist. He said 60-65 games for a #1 goalie. AV wants to give Henrik 60 starts and Biron gets 22. He looked at goalies which won the Cup and they never started 70 games in the regular season.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
JT Miller on the PP. In Edmonton game,Miller was used in front of the net as net presence. AV discussed how he used Ryan Kesler in front of the net. Kesler hated it but he did pretty well.

In his draft year, people compared Miller to Mike Richards. I thought he was much more similar to Ryan Kesler in his playing style and hands. I think he would do well in the high slot for deflections and re-directs. Smart, hard-nosed player.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
oh wow; this is classic NYR HF ********; We're not even into the season yet and already Torts is a saint that was martyred; Slats is a senile old fool stuck in Edmonton; AV is letting the inmates run the asylum; WTF if you're basing your thoughts on that stupid ill defined road trip that Dolan pushed on AV's team relax and take a step back.
I am basing my thoughts on what is in front of me. What is Sather's track record like as GM of the Rangers? In comparison of all those who coached the Rangers in the last 25 years, how do Tortarella's results seem? How has the team looked this preseason? Does the team look like they solved the power play? How has the defensive habits of the team looked?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers added Anders Kallur as an European scout. He was formerly an Islanders scout based in Sweden. Kallur played on the Islanders Cup winning teams.

Mike Barnett is back as an amateur scout. He was formerly the Rangers director of US amateur scouting and a senior advisor to Sather. Barnett retired a few years ago to spend more time with his family.

It still says 2012-13 but Kallur and Barnett were added today

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=54019

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
The Rangers added Anders Kallur as an European scout. He was formerly an Islanders scout based in Sweden. Kallur played on the Islanders Cup winning teams.

Mike Barnett is back as an amateur scout. He was formerly the Rangers director of US amateur scouting and a senior advisor to Sather. Barnett retired a few years ago to spend more time with his family.

It still says 2012-13 but Kallur and Barnett were added today

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=54019

Kallur must be done following his twin daughters around tracks all over the world, both are elite sprinters but they are getting old (30-31).

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
i dont understand why Rangers always trade for big forwards, that either play on the premieter, scared to crash the net, or dont use their size to their ability (either playing physical, using the size down low or for defensive plays) Rangers need some toughness and skil in their top 6. i cant wait till Kaleta does his another cheapshot play that the refs will miss, maybe it will force the Rangers to stick up for their teammates... the Hawks are not the most physical team but they always defend their teammates with guys like Seabrook, Shaw, Bickell, Brookbank, Bollig dropping the gloves.. and sometimes Towes gets into a fight..

i wish Rick Nash would have his heart... Nash has the heart of a waterbug...

SBoB talks about power forwards driving to the net and being more involved.

You respond by posting fight videos and spewing the same crap about dropping the gloves and not defending teammates.... :shakehead:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Rangers have never really had a problem on the pwp moving the puck around the perimeter. They do that just about as well as anyone. And I'm not about to argue that Girardi is not the most gifted at walking the line--Staal as well--but spreading out pk'ers is not so much the problem as collapsing the other team's box which means having forwards causing some havoc by getting to the slot and around the net. The Rangers haven't had a lot of forwards recently willing to pay the price in front of the net.

nrf83

May 6, 2004
golf course
I am basing my thoughts on what is in front of me. What is Sather's track record like as GM of the Rangers? In comparison of all those who coached the Rangers in the last 25 years, how do Tortarella's results seem? How has the team looked this preseason? Does the team look like they solved the power play? How has the defensive habits of the team looked?

whats in front of you were 5 meaningless ex games that nobody gave a **** about, they're vets and that's ok. Starting Thursday night they had better bring it big time and I'm sure they will. I liked Torts and was genuinely surprised he was let go. PP sucked under Torts/Sully, wait until AV gets a chance with the real team, the characters he was working with on road trip, most of them are in Hartford. AV just put players out there to see how they reacted in different situations; Kreider reacted poorly he's in Hartford; Fast/Miller reacted well they're in NY. If you think that Nash, Richards, Lunqvist are going to bust their ass for meaningless games I don't know what to say that will assuage your "sense of betrayal":sarcasm: Games are for real Thursday night than you will see a sense of urgency. LGR

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
You're not concerned about the team losing four games by an aggregate score of 18-5? A trip where the Rangers held the lead for a grand total of about 5 minutes?

You're not concerned that the franchise player had a GAA of 4.13 with a .859 save percentage?

You're not concerned that this team's power play looks just as anemic as it did last season?

You're not concerned that the two big ticket forwards combined for 0 points?

This front office doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. And if you don't see that he has a propensity for making moves in a vacuum than I don't really know what to tell you. But, y'know, that's only my opinion.

And it's a cliche, but it's true, it's not that they're losing, it's the way they're losing. AV was brought in to improve the offense. But there are no Sedin twins here.

Lundqvist is the one player I'm not worried about. There's no reason to think he's lost "it" and if he has, well, the rest of "it" (the season) is going to be a disaster anyway.

The rest of it--I agree with you: there's plenty of reason to be concerned. Running off to Alberta was really dumb, especially when you have a new coach who is trying to get up to speed on players he mostly hasn't seen play over the last two seasons.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
The preseason went just about as poorly as it could've gone short of an injury.

Oh well, lets hope they show up when it counts on Thursday.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Lundqvist is the one player I'm not worried about. There's no reason to think he's lost "it" and if he has, well, the rest of "it" (the season) is going to be a disaster anyway.

The rest of it--I agree with you: there's plenty of reason to be concerned. Running off to Alberta was really dumb, especially when you have a new coach who is trying to get up to speed on players he mostly hasn't seen play over the last two seasons.

The only reason I brought Lundqvist up is because the Rangers need him to play at such a high level pretty much every game if they want to be competitive.

Aug 2, 2005
New York, NY
whats in front of you were 5 meaningless ex games that nobody gave a **** about, they're vets and that's ok. Starting Thursday night they had better bring it big time and I'm sure they will. I liked Torts and was genuinely surprised he was let go. PP sucked under Torts/Sully, wait until AV gets a chance with the real team, the characters he was working with on road trip, most of them are in Hartford. AV just put players out there to see how they reacted in different situations; Kreider reacted poorly he's in Hartford; Fast/Miller reacted well they're in NY. If you think that Nash, Richards, Lunqvist are going to bust their ass for meaningless games I don't know what to say that will assuage your "sense of betrayal":sarcasm: Games are for real Thursday night than you will see a sense of urgency. LGR

Agree with you on certain points but Richards should be busting his ass in these meaningless games. He was a healthy scratch at the end of last season and a buyout candidate (should have been bought out). He was not in good enough shape in last year's preseason and people are questioning whether he has lost his game completely. Those should be motivating factors regardless of what time of year it is. Throw in the fact for Richards and everyone else that it's a new coaching staff and system thanks in large part to the players' dissenting collective voice, and they better show something.

I am not pushing the panic button after the preseason but there was a heck of a lot not to like. Losing preseason games isn't a big deal but not competing is. As other posters have mentioned, this training camp and preseason has been less than ideal for installing a new system and integrating a new coaching staff. Throw in the Callahan and Hagelin injuries and the first month may very well be a bumpy ride. I am confident the Rangers can right the ship after that but there are going to be some tough nights during this adjustment period.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
The only reason I brought Lundqvist up is because the Rangers need him to play at such a high level pretty much every game if they want to be competitive.

Pretty much the same old, same old for Lundqvist--he's been bringing it since he won the job. He if doesn't keep it up, the organization is probably screwed.

There are so many other things to be concerned about--not worth worrying about Lundqvist.

Last edited:

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
So are we just going to not sign any of our upcoming UFAs before the season?

Going to let them all pull the "wont talk during the season" ********? Really never understood the players who say that. IMO its more of a distraction to NOT be signed and have UFA looming.

I'm totally OK with the lowballing and whatnot with our RFAs, but I'd really like to have some of these re-signings done with our UFAs. Get Hank signed.

16 To Stanley*

You're not concerned about the team losing four games by an aggregate score of 18-5? A trip where the Rangers held the lead for a grand total of about 5 minutes?

You're not concerned that the franchise player had a GAA of 4.13 with a .859 save percentage?

You're not concerned that this team's power play looks just as anemic as it did last season?

You're not concerned that the two big ticket forwards combined for 0 points?

This front office doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. And if you don't see that he has a propensity for making moves in a vacuum than I don't really know what to tell you. But, y'know, that's only my opinion.

And it's a cliche, but it's true, it's not that they're losing, it's the way they're losing. AV was brought in to improve the offense. But there are no Sedin twins here.

I'll be concerned after the first month. AV is notorious for trying weird things in the pre-season.

I'll be concerned if we're below 500 after the first month.

People put wayyyyy to much weight into the pre-season.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I'll be concerned after the first month. AV is notorious for trying weird things in the pre-season.

Meh, something like 4-5 in our opening 9 wouldn't be horrible. Just about covers the whole month. We got what, 1 home game at the end of Oct?

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm

I won't be truly worried until Hagelin returns and we still look like doodoo. He is a bigger part of our 5v5 play than most people think.

But yeah, under .500 after a month isn't the best of indicators. But I'd be more worried about a sub .500 Fenwick Close, (almost) regardless of our points percentage.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006

Its like SBOB said, its not that they lost preseason games. Its the way they lost. Getting smoked most games with lethargic efforts. Thats unacceptable to me after what this team has gone through over the past several months. The on-ice play of the preseason was about as bad as it could get, culminating in getting outscored 18-5 over the past few games.

I don't think anyone has put "wayyyy" too much weight into the preseason. If they did, they'd have jumped off a bridge by now. But, if the roles were reversed and the Rangers were dominate in the pre-season, all we'd be hearing about is how Vigneault is God and Torts ruined the guys last year.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Look at what washington did last year. They started off poorly and then caught fire. Same situation with Oates being a new head coach and implementing a new system. It took a while for the players to figure it all out and execute it at a high level. Brooks Laich coming back from injury certainly helped, but 1 player isn't going to make that big of a difference.

We've got 3 very important players who have yet to see the ice for the Rangers. AV has had a longer training camp than Oates did, but it took the caps half of a shortened season to fully pick up the new system. Expecting the Rangers to fully pick up AV's system in just 6 preseason games is unrealistic, particularly when except against vancouver, we didn't have anywhere near our starting lineup in any of those games.

We would have all loved to see the Rangers score a bunch of goals, play strong defense and go 5-1 rather than 1-5 in the preseason. The fact that they didn't isn't cause for concern. Yet.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Hell, think back to 11-12.

Our opening 5, 6? whatever it was games on the road..

we looked HORRIBLE. yeah we somehow won a few of those games (Including a Hank 4-0 shutout in VAN which may have been the worst game I've ever seen the Rangers play in a win.

But the team looked completley lost, and we know how that season went.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad