GDT: 2013/2014 Out of Town Thread - VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hajj

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
Boise, Idaho
Panthers announcers praising Seguin as a 40 goal scorer and bragging about fleecing the Bruins in the trade.

Wow.

member 96824

I don't think anyone is mocking gaining home ice. What people mock is celebrating the President's Trophy as though it's the Stanley Cup, or that it's a guarantee of playoff success. If the Bruins can secure it, great, but I don't want them killing themselves to obtain it. Kind of defeats the purpose, wouldn't you say?

I've literally seen no one claiming the presidents trophy on the same level as the Stanley cup. I have seen plenty of "lol who cares?" "So irrelevant" etc. comments though.

14 of the last 18 don't lie. I want that home ice, and I don't doubt the Bruins do as well.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Dallas drop a 2-0 lead to lose in regulation to the Panthers. They're up 1 point on Phoenix with as many games remaining, holding the tiebreaker, but have a game against the Jackets which they're already down 1-0 in. The last game, between those two, will probably decide it.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I think 1st in the East was the biggie. Home-ice vs. the Pens is such a huge thing for the matchup game. Sure, I'd like guaranteed home-ice the whole way through, but I'd prefer to rest players to prevent injury and hope to hold St. Louis off rather than going for it for the somewhat off-chance they play the Blues.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I've literally seen no one claiming the presidents trophy on the same level as the Stanley cup. I have seen plenty of "lol who cares?" "So irrelevant" etc. comments though.

14 of the last 18 don't lie. I want that home ice, and I don't doubt the Bruins do as well.

I'm not referring to posters in this forum. There have been other forums who have trumpeted the President's Trophy as though it was El Dorado.

I just want the Bruins to play their best and stay healthy the rest of the way. If they secure the best record, huzzah. If not, I'm not going to cry about it. As TJ said, the Eastern Conference title was the critical one. Who knows who they may face in the SCF?

member 96824

I'm not referring to posters in this forum. There have been other forums who have trumpeted the President's Trophy as though it was El Dorado.

I just want the Bruins to play their best and stay healthy the rest of the way. If they secure the best record, huzzah. If not, I'm not going to cry about it. As TJ said, the Eastern Conference title was the critical one. Who knows who they may face in the SCF?

Well I don't really care what other forums say. Why even bring that up? You're responding to my comment, not some rando on the globe forum or whatever....Genuinely curious, because my comment was directly about posts on this board.

Of course I want a healthy bruins team, I also want guaranteed home ice no matter the opponent. I'm not sure why that's even a point to argue against? It's not impossible to go for the presidents trophy WHILE resting players in a responsible matter. They aren't mutually exclusive. Ask the last cup winner

EastCoastNiner

Nov 21, 2008
Well I don't really care what other forums say. Why even bring that up? You're responding to my comment, not some rando on the globe forum or whatever....Genuinely curious, because my comment was directly about posts on this board.

Of course I want a healthy bruins team, I also want guaranteed home ice no matter the opponent. I'm not sure why that's even a point to argue against? It's not impossible to go for the presidents trophy WHILE resting players in a responsible matter. They aren't mutually exclusive. Ask the last cup winner

It's easy for people to say, "Lots of people are saying the Presidents Trophy is as important as the Stanley Cup", just by basing it on 2/100 posts. I've seen very few people acting like the President's Trophy is nearly as important as the Stanley Cup, so I agree with you here.

Do the Bruins need home ice throughout the playoffs to win? No, they do not, but as you were saying, it is definitely a BIG bonus. When you can dictate the line changes for the majority of a series, that is a major advantage, especially when it's a team like the Bruins that will be dictating the changes. People can point to lower seeds winning the Stanley Cup, but I'll take the Bruins getting the #1 overall seed over any other seed every single day of the week.

member 96824

It's easy for people to say, "Lots of people are saying the Presidents Trophy is as important as the Stanley Cup", just by basing it on 2/100 posts. I've seen very few people acting like the President's Trophy is nearly as important as the Stanley Cup, so I agree with you here.

Do the Bruins need home ice throughout the playoffs to win? No, they do not, but as you were saying, it is definitely a BIG bonus. When you can dictate the line changes for the majority of a series, that is a major advantage, especially when it's a team like the Bruins that will be dictating the changes. People can point to lower seeds winning the Stanley Cup, but I'll take the Bruins getting the #1 overall seed over any other seed every single day of the week.

Absolutely, I'm sure CJ would have loved to have last change in that triple overtime game last year. Do they need home ice? of course not, but it's a damn good advantage to not only A. have the Stanley cup final in your building 4 times instead of 3 and B. the in game advantages like matchups, on the biggest stage of the game. I like being able to stack the odds on our side :laugh:...and quite frankly, a player playing 81 games instead of 82 and calling it "rest" is a bit overstated. Injury protection no doubt, but in the grand scheme of things...it's quite possible to manage your roster well enough to rest your players and secure home ice for the next 2 months no matter WHO you play.

EastCoastNiner

Nov 21, 2008
Absolutely, I'm sure CJ would have loved to have last change in that triple overtime game last year. Do they need home ice? of course not, but it's a damn good advantage to not only A. have the Stanley cup final in your building 4 times instead of 3 and B. the in game advantages like matchups, on the biggest stage of the game. I like being able to stack the odds on our side :laugh:...and quite frankly, a player playing 81 games instead of 82 and calling it "rest" is a bit overstated. Injury protection no doubt, but in the grand scheme of things...it's quite possible to manage your roster well enough to rest your players and secure home ice for the next 2 months no matter WHO you play.

In regards to rest, I don't mind the Bruins resting some of their top guns, even if it may hurt their chances of getting the #1 overall seed. For the Bruins, resting some of their stars isn't going to hurt them as much in a race for the #1 seed as it would for a team like the Penguins where Malkin and Crosby have a much larger individual impact on their team.

Did the Seahawks need home field advantage during the playoffs to play well? No, but it certainly helped them, and there's no doubt it helps in the NHL playoffs. Being able to put Chara out against whichever players Julien wants him out against in n advantage that can't be stressed enough.

Anyways, getting back on topic of this thread, it looks like the Blue Jackets may be locking up that #8 seed, although the Devils are right behind them. I wanted to see Ovechkin lead the Capitals to the playoffs as well, but I'd rather see the Bruins play on of the two previously mentioned teams than the Capitals. They need to make some changes in Washington next season.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Home ice is key in some match ups-eg when playing a team who's coach line matches a lot.

But also some places are just hard to play in-eg I wouldn't want to give the Avs home ice-the altitude in a 7 game series will give the Avs an edge and that's without style of play.

Also I would rather have home ice against any of the California teams-all three have arenas that are hard to win in. And some places are just hard to play in (Montreal, Pittsburgh etc).

So I think there are good reasons to try for the Presidents trophy-not so much because the President's trophy is the goal but because it comes with some advantage.

Good news for the Bruins is that I think the only two teams that could pass them are the Blues and the Ducks but knowing your team has home ice all the way would be nice.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Rinaldo hit last night similar to Cooke on Savard

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/...do-booted-for-intent-to-injure-match-penalty/

Just saying, looked eerily similar to me, with that cheap little arm to the head as the Buffalo player was following through on his shot, maybe not as blindsided as Cooke's was. But, nonetheless, what an idiot. He'll be known as a predatory player now if he wasn't already. These guys will never learn.

member 96824

Not as bad as Savard/Cooke, because at least Rinaldo didn't come from the complete blind side and it wasn't as late as Savard/Cooke....but a horrific hit. How hard is it to respect the players you share the ice with? Try to hit them, hell try to inflict pain on them...but in what world is it okay to give someone an elbow to the dome?

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Pretty disgusting. I've always had a soft spot for Rinaldo, but he can't be defended on that one. Leaves his feet and extends his elbow for the sole purpose of going for the dome. He's lucky that it's < 5

847398294.gif

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Thanks for the link. Had heard about it but hadn't seen it.

There are similarities to the Cooke hit, though as you noted, not as much on the blind side. Still, it's deliberate and predatory, and deserving of a suspension, especially considering Rinaldo's history.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Pretty disgusting. I've always had a soft spot for Rinaldo, but he can't be defended on that one. Leaves his feet and extends his elbow for the sole purpose of going for the dome. He's lucky that it's < 5

847398294.gif

I've had a guy who watched and knows him abit tell me for a few years that if there was a player to cause serious injury to another on a bad hit, his pick was Rinaldo. He said he is a very dangerous player and just a matter of time. Doubt this is it, but its coming if he sticks around.

member 96824

I've had a guy who watched and knows him abit tell me for a few years that if there was a player to cause serious injury to another on a bad hit, his pick was Rinaldo. He said he is a very dangerous player and just a matter of time. Doubt this is it, but its coming if he sticks around.

I like Rinaldo's game to a certain extent, plays hard physical hockey. But at times, you can almost see where some wires touch or cross in his head. It's a serious shame.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
I remember when Philly played Dallas.. I think it was a few days after the Orpik incident. Anyway, 2 maybe 3 shifts into the game, Rinaldo jumps Roussel from behind and starts attacking the guy on the ice. Seemed way more malicious than Thorty's actions, he was just lucky enough that the pesty frenchman left the ice without the assistance of a stretcher. Eventually, habitual line crossing will catch up to ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad