OT: 2013-2014 NFL Discussion Thread (Revis to Tampa for '13 1st, '14 3rd or 4th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
That's something I don't get. Barring something miraculous, the season already seems like a wash and I don't really think he has much to work with in regards to this roster. Maybe they plan on rebuilding with him. I'm not sure.

And I could just be talking out my ass, but if they plan on firing him, I'd just hire a new coach now to get better acclimated with the team.

I think their schedule is not that bad, they could actually be in contention for the wild card with some luck. Then again, this IS the Jets.....

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Jets won won 6 games last season. Revis missed almost the entire season. The team lost so many starters and they didn't replace them with equal or better players. Both safeties are gone. Both guards are gone. The starting running back and tight end are gone. Keller was hurt most of last season but he was a good player when he was healthy. They lost DeVito in free agency. This team will need a miracle to win 6 games with all of the young players they plan to use this season. Idzik deserves the opportunity to hire his own coach. Idzik cleans up the cap and the roster in year one. You can't judge Idzik until he hires his own coach. Rex should be fired after this season. The Jets will win 4 games MAX. The Jets see the soft teams on the schedule and those teams see the Jets as the soft teams on the schedule.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
The Jets won won 6 games last season. Revis missed almost the entire season. The team lost so many starters and they didn't replace them with equal or better players. Both safeties are gone. Both guards are gone. The starting running back and tight end are gone. Keller was hurt most of last season but he was a good player when he was healthy. They lost DeVito in free agency. This team will need a miracle to win 6 games with all of the young players they plan to use this season. Idzik deserves the opportunity to hire his own coach. Idzik cleans up the cap and the roster in year one. You can't judge Idzik until he hires his own coach. Rex should be fired after this season. The Jets will win 4 games MAX. The Jets see the soft teams on the schedule and those teams see the Jets as the soft teams on the schedule.

Thats why it should have been Rex and T stay or they both go.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Thats why it should have been Rex and T stay or they both go.

At the same time, if and when the Jets have another horrendous season, theres some red meat to throw the fans by firing Rex.

Not saying this is the way any sort of enterprise should be run, but these are the types of things the Jets worry about.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
At the same time, if and when the Jets have another horrendous season, theres some red meat to throw the fans by firing Rex.

Not saying this is the way any sort of enterprise should be run, but these are the types of things the Jets worry about.

I don't think the fans are that easily misled. If they had hired Idzik and let him pick a coach, there's at least a complete regime change. And that buys some patience.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I don't think the fans are that easily misled. If they had hired Idzik and let him pick a coach, there's at least a complete regime change. And that buys some patience.

I definitely agree. I just think the Jets organization has a way of outsmarting themselves when it comes to that type of decision.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Coulda,woulda,shoulda. Rex wasn't terminated. Going forward. Rex has 2 years remaining on his contract. All of his guys are gone. Revis. Bart Scott. DeVito. He has no relationship with the offensive guys. The Jets will either terminate Rex or extend Rex. Lame duck coach. You can't fairly judge Idzik until he hires his own coach. These aren't the Giants with Tom Coughlin. Rex is an idiot. He can't shut up. He constantly embarrasses the franchise with his antics. Idzik is a buttondown guy. A little conservative. Doesn't say much. Idzik wouldn't hire Rex if they was looking to hire a coach. In Chicago,the new GM Phil Emery replaced Lovie Smith one year after taking the job. The team doesn't always fire the GM and coach at the same time.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I think you are all forgetting, ironically on HF, about the Jets future - if they have an awful season next year under Rex, what do we gain? A top pick in the draft, there are a ton of great looking prospects in the 2014 draft :D

QB anyone ?

BarbaraAlphanse

It really makes no sense that they kept Rex (if the plan is to fire him mid-season/end of season).

From a drafting point of view it makes no sense because you want your new coach to come in and have input on the future of the organization. For example Mangini got Gholston, Rex could do nothing with him.

From a fan point of view it makes no sense because firing both the coach and GM would have promoted rebuilding and would have gotten fans to temper their expectations of the team. No one expects this team to go far but keeping Rex and his annual promises of going far speaks differently from the rebuilding plan.

The only discernible reason I can gather is that Woody thinks that Rex can generate more PSLs than another coach, at the current time. NFL is a business, Rex is an entertainer. That being said, I feel like keeping Rex on a subpar team would have an adverse effect on selling PSLs and Woody's advisers would probably know that.

Not clear cut what the Jets plan is, but their actions speak volumes.

BarbaraAlphanse

I think you are all forgetting, ironically on HF, about the Jets future - if they have an awful season next year under Rex, what do we gain? A top pick in the draft, there are a ton of great looking prospects in the 2014 draft :D

QB anyone ?

I don't like either of the top 2 candidates for next years draft. Bridgewater is not a good decision maker on the field. Manziel is not a good decision maker off the field. Can't win with either of these 2 guys.

Need to think outside of the box. Maybe Idzik can work magic and find a diamond in the rough, like a Wilson or Kaepernick.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
It really makes no sense that they kept Rex (if the plan is to fire him mid-season/end of season).

From a drafting point of view it makes no sense because you want your new coach to come in and have input on the future of the organization. For example Mangini got Gholston, Rex could do nothing with him.

From a fan point of view it makes no sense because firing both the coach and GM would have promoted rebuilding and would have gotten fans to temper their expectations of the team. No one expects this team to go far but keeping Rex and his annual promises of going far speaks differently from the rebuilding plan.

The only discernible reason I can gather is that Woody thinks that Rex can generate more PSLs than another coach, at the current time. NFL is a business, Rex is an entertainer. That being said, I feel like keeping Rex on a subpar team would have an adverse effect on selling PSLs and Woody's advisers would probably know that.

Not clear cut what the Jets plan is, but their actions speak volumes.

Maybe Woody just really likes Rex. Right now they have a guy who has not had great success in the draft (Rex) and a guy who has no track-record in the draft (Idzik). And they're putting a lot faith and importance into this draft.

They obviously need a QB, so maybe the plan is to trade one of their ones this year for a one next year and additional pick in this draft or next draft.

BarbaraAlphanse

Maybe Woody just really likes Rex. Right now they have a guy who has not had great success in the draft (Rex) and a guy who has no track-record in the draft (Idzik). And they're putting a lot faith and importance into this draft.

Well Woody loves Rex, but his whole thing with Revis was how he wouldn't put one individual over the team. Have to imagine that Rex wouldn't have been thrilled with losing Revis, Devito, and everyone else he grew to trust in tight situations (especially since it means his defense will be under a lot of criticism for the amount of holes it now has)- enough so that he could easily throw tantrums and cause problems for the team moving forward... unless he has some form of insurance moving forward that his job is safe.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
The Jets had three MAJOR wins with Ryan and his attitude was something that redefined what the NY Jets were. There was a complete culture change where the phrase same old Jets no longer applied. He earned this year. Not his fault that Shi*chez turned out to be such a puddle of puke and that jackassbaum gives him that horrendous extension when he was coming off such a god awful season. Other stuff is Ryan's fault but with Sanchez as bad as he was and Gholston/Ducrapass being such monumental failures that's the GM's fault. Mikey got the axe deservedly so.Ryan's biggest crime is smelling feet in the privacy of his own home I could care less if he posts himself to bears.com so long as we make it to AFC championship games and beat the Pats.

But then these last two years happenned. Now he's sink or swim but I think he's a great motivator and great defensive mind and I'd be glad if we kept him and tried to keep some damn stability with this garbage franchise for more than 3 or 4 years

I do recognize Ryan was in on Sanchez too though and Sancrap failed to develop under his watch I legitmately don't think it was his fault though. Mikey had no Qb b/c he went all in on Favre only to watch pennington leap frog his bad bicep and they thought they had something with crapchez. Not much else could be done there. oh can't forget Kellen Bustens

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
The Jets had three MAJOR wins with Ryan and his attitude was something that redefined what the NY Jets were. There was a complete culture change where the phrase same old Jets no longer applied.

What was that exactly? I would say they're right back to Same Old Jets.

There was a complete culture change where the phrase same old Jets no longer applied. He earned this year. Not his fault that Shi*chez turned out to be such a puddle of puke and that jackassbaum gives him that horrendous extension when he was coming off such a god awful season.

Wasn't Sanchez the QB for those supposed three major wins? The contract extension I'll grant you made and makes no sense. But I have to believe that Rex had a say in that

Other stuff is Ryan's fault but with Sanchez as bad as he was and Gholston/Ducrapass being such monumental failures that's the GM's fault.

Those picks were on Rex's watch too.

But then these last two years happenned. Now he's sink or swim but I think he's a great motivator and great defensive mind and I'd be glad if we kept him and tried to keep some damn stability with this garbage franchise for more than 3 or 4 yearsI do recognize Ryan was in on Sanchez too though and Sancrap failed to develop under his watch I legitmately don't think it was his fault though. Mikey had no Qb b/c he went all in on Favre and they thought they had something with crapchez. Not much else could be done there

It's sink or swim for Rex, but his owner and the GM are certainly tying bricks to his ankles.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
What was that exactly?

Wasn't Sanchez the QB for those supposed three major wins? The contract extension I'll grant you made and makes no sense. But I have to believe that Rex had a say in that

Those picks were on Rex's watch too.

It's sink or swim for Rex, but his owner and the GM are certainly tying bricks to his ankles.

It's a matter of opinion and perspective but see if you can guess what they were first.

Clemens, Gholston were not oN Rex's watch neither was trading for Favre who retired and left them with zero QB's thats on Mikey. They should have been filling in spots not sticking a rookie on a championship caliber team. Thats all on Mikey. My understanding is Rex did not have an overwhelmingl large vote on the drafted players and was only allowed one pick for himself basically. As I said he was reportedly in on Sanchez too but they had literally no choice. Clemens was the only QB on the roster.

Yes Sanchez was the QB but the point is I blame his massive regression and not Ryan's coaching. If I'm wrong and it's bothfine but I see Sangarbage's failings as his own moreso than any coaches. Way too many people were brought in to elevate this guy and teach him. Sometimes it's the player and sometimes it's the coach. In this case I'm voting it's the player

*Bob Richards*

Now he's sink or swim but I think he's a great motivator and great defensive mind and I'd be glad if we kept him and tried to keep some damn stability with this garbage franchise for more than 3 or 4 years

This sounds just a bit familiar lol.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
This sounds just a bit familiar lol.

It's a story that reverberates with essentially every sports team ever that doesn't win. But yea the D aspect of it does certainly reflect the rangers and torts. Giants fans were hurling knives at effigies of Coughlin and Kildrive. I always thought they were crazy for it. Then they won and about 1 gun shot later they were back at it. SHows we fans are often Pejorative Slured when it comes to most things in sports and the best we can do is decide whether blame should be put on a coach or a player or both. I honestly don't think I've ever seen an individual player suck as hard as Crapchez and our GM had no answers or replacements available. Then he goes for Tebow. Mikey was a moron who kept hitting jackpot with other peoples cuts when he'd sign them for cheap. He was a bargain basement shopper

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

QB anyone ?

If they don't take Smith this year, Bridgewater would be a good pick next year.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
Jets have far too many holes at positions that are held in higher regard in this year's draft (OLB, T, secondary) to go QB this year.

Personally, I'd rank Bridgewater, Manziel and Fales all ahead of Smith at this point in time, so I have no problem with them waiting there.

Plus I have no interest in adding a young QB to the **** circus that is Tebow/Sanchez/etc.

BarbaraAlphanse

Jets have far too many holes at positions that are held in higher regard in this year's draft (OLB, T, secondary) to go QB this year.

Personally, I'd rank Bridgewater, Manziel and Fales all ahead of Smith at this point in time, so I have no problem with them waiting there.

Plus I have no interest in adding a young QB to the **** circus that is Tebow/Sanchez/etc.

Manziel is the best of all 3, talent wise. Probably would not be able to handle NY though. Way too big of a distraction.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

No way in hell are all three of those guys ahead of Smith in any real sense of things. They are all about the same. I'd rank them:

Bridgewater
Smith
Fales
Manziel

And there is very, very little separating them there.

With the 9th and the 13th pick, I don't see a reason that the Jets should absolutely avoid a QB if they like Smith. The Jets can do a lot with this pick. Next year's draft (overall, save the QB depth) should be better, so perhaps you take the QB this year and go with another position next year. It's quite tempting to have some fun with their picks as an outsider since who knows where they will go?

Manziel is the best of all 3, talent wise. Probably would not be able to handle NY though. Way too big of a distraction.

It's a pick 'em in terms of who is actually better. I like Bridgewater and Smith (and I alternate on who I like better given the day). But I could see the Jets taking Manziel just because it's the big splash.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Te'O at 13. I actually want this. I need a good laugh and it'd be the most entertaining part of the season. Way more than the offensvely inept Jets "games" were last year. (Ok not serious at all)

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
A 1st and a 3rd for Revis doesn't seem like a great return...particularly with the 1st being in the middle of the round. Would have thought he could fetch more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad