OT: 2013-2014 NFL Discussion Thread (Revis to Tampa for '13 1st, '14 3rd or 4th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yeah, but aren't you guys actually trying to compete this year? I don't understand trading Revis with the giant cap hit if this season is not a throw-away season.

Sort of, I guess. It's a transitional year. They'll hang around in most games, but they're probably a 6-win team.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
I don't see how they are competitive with the roster they have with or without Revis. Think this year is 100% a throw away. Think with the schedule they are looking at 2-7 heading into the bye.
We are building toward 2015 i think. We have a ton od draft picks the next 2 years. also after next year our cap gets better

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
getting the 13th pick for a guy with enormous salary demands on a team not expected to compete this year is a great trade.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
getting the 13th pick for a guy with enormous salary demands on a team not expected to compete this year is a great trade.
Agreed. As a jet fan i was tired of revis. All he cared about is money. never once did he say i want to win a ring or i'll take a little less money in order to help the team. I know how great he is when he is healthy but after holding out twice and this whole mess its obvious he needed to go

str8shooter

Apr 7, 2013
No guaranteed money? I want the number of the witch doctor the Bucs are using.

You could've knocked me over with an effing feather when I read that headline... Any insight on why he'd take that? He couldn't possibly be that hard up, right?

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Jets are rebuilding but they won't admit publicly. Idzik talks about "competition" for roster spots. If you look at how the Seahawks salary structure is structured,they don't have many big contracts. Idzik was the Seahawks cap guy. Many young players making rookie scale money. The Jets could have re-signed some of their free agents but they didn't. The free agents signed by the Jets are the lower level guys. They will receive 4 compensatory picks for the 2014 draft. Idzik was careful not to add players which would hurt the Jets ability to get the comp picks. The Jets have plenty of cap space but Idzik needs to sign the draft picks.

https://nflplayers.com/reports/RunPublicReport.aspx?report=top51

Idzik has done a very good job. Got Holmes to take a pay cut. Restructured Cromartie's deal without it hurting future years. Traded Revis. Idzik had 1 taker for Revis. He couldn't franchise him. Idzik didn't re-sign his own free agents. The Jets will stink. Sanchez will be gone. So will Holmes. Maybe Cromartie too. Rex will be gone too.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
The Jets are rebuilding but they won't admit publicly. Idzik talks about "competition" for roster spots. If you look at how the Seahawks salary structure is structured,they don't have many big contracts. Idzik was the Seahawks cap guy. Many young players making rookie scale money. The Jets could have re-signed some of their free agents but they didn't. The free agents signed by the Jets are the lower level guys. They will receive 4 compensatory picks for the 2014 draft. Idzik was careful not to add players which would hurt the Jets ability to get the comp picks. The Jets have plenty of cap space but Idzik needs to sign the draft picks.

Idzik has done a very good job. Got Holmes to take a pay cut. Restructured Cromartie's deal without it hurting future years. Traded Revis. Idzik had 1 taker for Revis. He couldn't franchise him. Idzik didn't re-sign his own free agents. The Jets will stink. Sanchez will be gone. So will Holmes. Maybe Cromartie too. Rex will be gone too.
Very Good Post. We would have stunk with revis here anyway plus we woould have lost him next year for nothing. At least now we have another top 15 pick and next year we will have a ton of picks. Also the cap will be better after next season. We all now the jets will stink this year but thats kind of the way rebuilding goes

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
20822_528904800489546_430404945_n.png

LOLOL

BarbaraAlphanse

Think so? No reason to have kept him around this season if the Jets intentions were to fire him a year later. If we're rebuilding (which I know we are) wouldn't it have made sense to rebuild with the coach of the future and let him choose his own players? Seems like Rex is here to stay.

Also, Jets will have upwards of 50 mill in available cap space next year if/when they cut/trade Holmes, Cromartie, and Sanchez.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Rex Ryan has two more years remaining on his contract. $3M per. Ryan will be a lame duck after the 2013 season. Woody has to give Rex an extension after next season or he needs to fire Rex. Lame duck coach in NY for the Jets? That is cruel punishment. Idzik has ties to some coaches in the NFL. Idzik was with Lovie Smith in TB. Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell has a great resume. Packers offensive assistant. Vikings OC. Seahawks OC. Lovie is too much like Rex. Defense. Defense. Defense. The trend is towards younger offensive guys. Bevell. Idzik has taken a wrecking ball to the roster. More changes are coming after next season when its easier to cut Sanchez and Holmes. Harris and Cromartie too. The Jets have #9 and #13. The Rams have #16 and #22. They like Tavon Austin. He won't be available at #16. Jets move down from #9 to #16 plus the Rams 2nd #46. The math on the draft chart is close. The Jets add a 6th or 7th to balance out the trade. The Jets would have #13,#16,#39 and #46. The strength of the draft is #15 to the end of the 2nd. The Jets need everything. BPA.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/71298/current-2013-nfl-draft-order-2

BarbaraAlphanse

Rex Ryan has two more years remaining on his contract. $3M per. Ryan will be a lame duck after the 2013 season. Woody has to give Rex an extension after next season or he needs to fire Rex. Lame duck coach in NY for the Jets? That is cruel punishment. Idzik has ties to some coaches in the NFL. Idzik was with Lovie Smith in TB. Seahawks OC Darrell Bevell has a great resume. Packers offensive assistant. Vikings OC. Seahawks OC. Lovie is too much like Rex. Defense. Defense. Defense. The trend is towards younger offensive guys. Bevell. Idzik has taken a wrecking ball to the roster. More changes are coming after next season when its easier to cut Sanchez and Holmes. Harris and Cromartie too. The Jets have #9 and #13. The Rams have #16 and #22. They like Tavon Austin. He won't be available at #16. Jets move down from #9 to #16 plus the Rams 2nd #46. The math on the draft chart is close. The Jets add a 6th or 7th to balance out the trade. The Jets would have #13,#16,#39 and #46. The strength of the draft is #15 to the end of the 2nd. The Jets need everything. BPA.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/71298/current-2013-nfl-draft-order-2

Still, would it not have then made sense for the Jets to fire Rex along with Tanny and allow their new coach to choose his own players through the draft? If Rex is dead set on Mingo (for example) and he gets him, what happens if hes the only one who knows how to utilize him to his abilities, and then the Jets hire a coach who doesn't? Can't afford to have any duds in the draft. Mangini got in Gholston before he was fired when they could have hired someone else before hand and avoided that whole draft pick. Need some sort of plan here, Idzik seems much more organized than Tannebaum. I'd imagine Rex has 2-3 more years at least.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
It's a better trade then letting him walk for no compensation and the two high picks will help the team significantly moving forward but it's infinitely terrible compared to re-signing a hall of famer, all time Jet and likely one of the best 5 to ever play his position, period for ZEROOOOOOOOO guaranteeeeeed moneeeeeyyy. They could grab a O linemen who will be an all pro for ten years at G or RT where god knows they've struggled. They can get one of these big athletic LB's. (Like Te'O who's gf is more accruate than Sanchez :sarcasm:).

They will likely trade down with one and get a 1st and 2nd or something this year. (My dad wants them to get a 2nd and a 3rd at least but thats borderline Pejorative Slured asset management to me you have to get a first if you trade down unless it's something like 3 picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds). They've got 3 real high picks in this draft and they can't afford anymore bungling like Gholston or Ducrapass.

That said Revis is a complete jackass moron for not taking any guaranteed money it proves he's an absolute moron and it also proves the Jets are bafflingly stupid b/c he could have been cut going into any season with zero long term damage to the franchise. once again the Jets let go of a great-all pro player due sheerly to bungling and incompetence of the highest caliber. This isn't the oft-injured Abraham who had large deficiencies in his game and wanted to get overpaid for sacks. This was a near flawless player at his position. Then you look at the crippling deal they gave Shi*chez? Just bafflingly stupid. Unless Revis' knee shatters again but it seems like it's going to recover just fine.

Last edited:

BarbaraAlphanse

It's a better trade then letting him walk for no compensation and the two high picks will help the team significantly moving forward but it's infinitely terrible compared to re-signing a hall of famer, all time Jet and likely one of the best 5 to ever play his position, period for ZEROOOOOOOOO guaranteeeeeed moneeeeeyyy. They could grab a O linemen who will be an all pro for ten years at G or RT where god knows they've struggled. They can get one of these big athletic LB's. (Like Te'O who's gf is more accruate than Sanchez :sarcasm:).

They will likely trade down with one and get a 1st and 2nd or something this year. (My dad wants them to get a 2nd and a 3rd at least but thats borderline Pejorative Slured asset management to me you have to get a first if you trade down unless it's something like 3 picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds). They've got 3 real high picks in this draft and they can't afford anymore bungling like Gholston or Ducrapass.

That said Revis is a complete jackass moron for not taking any guaranteed money it proves he's an absolute moron and it also proves the Jets are bafflingly stupid b/c he could have been cut going into any season with zero long term damage to the franchise. once again the Jets let go of a great-all pro player due sheerly to bungling and incompetence of the highest caliber. This isn't the oft-injured Abraham who had large deficiencies in his game and wanted to get overpaid for sacks. This was a near flawless player at his position. Then you look at the crippling deal they gave Shi*chez? Just bafflingly stupid. Unless Revis' knee shatters again but it seems like it's going to recover just fine.

Reports are that he has lost a few steps already. Not everyone's ACL is going to recover like Petersons.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
No sacred cows in football, either.

No problem to trade DR, but ? is was it highest return/best offer. IMO, no.

Other thing is tactically, can't believe if Jets found a way to send some $ the other way, that Revis could not have been part of a package to unload Sanchez.

Bigger issue is ownership.
Ryan has limited insight overrated as genius on D, and Woody Johnson, who is pronounced Republican (head of national comte to elect Romney, something like that), can raise huge bucks for evil greedy conservative policies, but won't spend out of his own pocket, arguably, apparently, to improve team.

It's been mostly downhill since Namath.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Reports are that he has lost a few steps already. Not everyone's ACL is going to recover like Petersons.

How could they know if he's lost a few steps if he is still recovering? I'd rather take the chance with a hall of famer than with a 1st round pick especially because guys failing to recover from injuries nowadays is more rare with the surgery and medicine we have. Percy harvin returned more than Darelle Revis in a trade. The Jets gave Shi*chez all this money and refused to give it to Revis. There's no way I can chew that without my head exploding

It's been mostly downhill since Namath.

Honestly downhill since the second they won. Namath's half retirement, his knees, just snowballed from there.

*Bob Richards*

This seems like such a throwaway season for the Jets. They should just **** can Rex. Would make sense from both a football and PR perspective.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
This seems like such a throwaway season for the Jets. They should just **** can Rex. Would make sense from both a football and PR perspective.

It would have more sense to keep Tannenbaum and Rex or get rid of Tannebaum and Rex. Firing Rex now would be the wrong more. It would just add to the dysfunction of the organization.

*Bob Richards*

It would have more sense to keep Tannenbaum and Rex or get rid of Tannebaum and Rex. Firing Rex now would be the wrong more. It would just add to the dysfunction of the organization.

Do you think there is any chance they keep him after this season?

*Bob Richards*

Probably not if they don't get the wild card.

Also depends on the options out there.

I hate the Jets owner and management more than the Rangers, that should tell ya something.

That's something I don't get. Barring something miraculous, the season already seems like a wash and I don't really think he has much to work with in regards to this roster. Maybe they plan on rebuilding with him. I'm not sure.

And I could just be talking out my ass, but if they plan on firing him, I'd just hire a new coach now to get better acclimated with the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad