2013-2014 News Around The NHL Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Poor David Booth just got the axe in Vancouver.

Vancouver Canucks ‏@VanCanucks

David Booth has been placed on waivers for the purposes of granting unconditional release.

Nucks will now be paying Booth, Ballard and Luongo not to play on their team.

MT @DavidEbner: $9-mil VAN spend in 2014-15 on people to stay away: $2m Gillis, $2m Tortorella, $3.2-m Booth, $2.8-m Ballard $0.8-m Luongo

Last edited:

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Florida was probably on Hartnell's NTC list.

I'm guessing Flyers will flip RJ to another team and gain 4.6M in caproom, otherwise this trade makes no sense from the Flyers POV.
I think they'll move out Vinny instead and keep Umberger.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
Obviously a salary dump for the Flyers. I can't stand Hartnell, but that is certainly a nice trade for the Jackets and he should help them move forward to being more than just a 1st Round exit team.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
Lady Byng Memorial Trophy
The Lady Byng Memorial Trophy is an annual award given to the player adjudged to have exhibited the best type of sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct combined with a high standard of playing ability.

The winner is selected in a poll of the Professional Hockey Writers' Association at the end of the regular season and each individual voter ranks their top five candidates on a 10-7-5-3-1 points system. Three finalists are named and the trophy is awarded at the NHL Awards ceremony after the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Lady Byng, wife of Canada's Governor-General at the time, presented the Lady Byng trophy in 1925. She decided the trophy's first winner would be Frank Nighbor of the Ottawa Senators.

Late in the season, Lady Byng invited Nighbor to Rideau Hall, showed him the trophy, and asked him if the NHL would accept it as an award for its most gentlemanly player. When Nighbor said he thought it would, Lady Byng, much to Nighbor's surprise, awarded him the trophy.

After Frank Boucher of the New York Rangers won the award seven times in eight seasons, he was given the trophy to keep and Lady Byng donated another trophy in 1936.

After Lady Byng's death in 1949, the National Hockey League presented a new trophy, changing the name to Lady Byng Memorial Trophy.

Besides Boucher, a number of players have won the award multiple times, including Wayne Gretzky who won it five times, Red Kelly with four wins, and Bobby Bauer, Alex Delvecchio, Mike Bossy, Ron Francis and Pavel Datsyuk with three each. Because of Boucher's seven wins, the New York Rangers have won the award the most out of any club, fifteen times, followed by Detroit with thirteen, Toronto with nine, Chicago and Boston tied with eight, and Los Angeles with five.

No goaltender has ever won the award; Bill Quackenbush and Red Kelly are the only defensemen to do so, and no defenseman has won in over fifty years.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=62242&navid=nhl:topheads

maybe we should just relocate anyway?

Erased

Jun 18, 2014

No goaltender has ever won the award; Bill Quackenbush and Red Kelly are the only defensemen to do so, and no defenseman has won in over fifty years.

I didn't know Campbell played as a forward in 2012.

RCDeltaFixer

Mar 15, 2014
Apparently Kesler is very close to being dealt. I'm *really* interested in seeing how that plays out.

CoolburnIsGone

This better not mean Vancouver will go hard after Reinhart...(1OA) :rant:
Even if they do, it doesnt mean we have to take their offer. Honestly, with them getting Bonino in return, I think he becomes their 2nd line center behind Sedin so are they going to be that desparate for a center like Reinhart (maybe but who knows).

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
Hockey Central ‏@SNHockeyCentral ·52 secs
Canucks acquire the 50th overall pick in draft from Tampa Bay for Jason Garrison, rights to Jeff Costello and 7th round pick in 2015.

What the heck is going on here...?

FlaPanthers7

May 31, 2002
Denver, CO
Visit site
Hockey Central ‏@SNHockeyCentral ·52 secs
Canucks acquire the 50th overall pick in draft from Tampa Bay for Jason Garrison, rights to Jeff Costello and 7th round pick in 2015.

What the heck is going on here...?

So Garrison took less money to go home and the gets shipped back to Florida, albeit the other coast. Nice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad