Marlies Discussion: 2013-2014 Marlies Edition Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

snizzbone*

So how do the AHL playoff eligibility stuff work?

Rielly can be sent down once the Leafs season is over correct? Since his WHL season is done as well? D'Amigo too.. nobody else though right?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
So how do the AHL playoff eligibility stuff work?

Rielly can be sent down once the Leafs season is over correct? Since his WHL season is done as well? D'Amigo too.. nobody else though right?

Moose Jaw is done, So technically he could go now.

But why would we do that to our best defenseman?

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
He said when the Leafs season is over. At that point why wouldn't you?

I thought he meant that the leafs season NOT being over is why he couldn't go down now even since Moose Jaw is no longer playing.

Either way...

But yes, He would be going down and hopefully they have a solid run so he can end this season on some what of a high.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Why would McKegg have a short leash, and what does that have to do with Verhaeghe?

McKegg was more productive in junior, on a worse team, and is nearly a PPG player in the AHL at 21.

i meant short leash in terms of being called up or given consideration or considered a strong prospect, not short leash in terms of being in the doghouse. he isn't making a lot of mistakes at the ahl level.

at the ahl level, you still aren't going to have 4 centres in a scoring role. if holland doesn't make the big team, then he's your first or second centre. imo, he has the potential to be a second liner, but fills in on third just fine on the leafs.

if cv makes the marlies in a year or 2, that might push mcgregg down the depth chart if sprott doesn't pull a eakins. by that time, mcgregg will be what, around 23?

also, 41 points in 51 games is not nearly a point a game, it's around 80%. it's very good for the ahl level, but nothing is screaming nhler; i'd say abbott shows more skill from what i saw on the offensive side, and leivo, although it's just in spurts.

if mcgregg makes the nhl, i'd be happy, but i'd say the odds are low to make a top 2 position.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
Gardiner? Jake Gardiner? the D who's scored a bunch of clutch goals these few games while our forwards couldn't?

Yes, we didn't win the games he scored goals on but he gave us a chance to come back.

i'm not saying he doesn't have his own deficiencies as well but he's not a piece to just get "rid of"

i agree. when phaneuf was out for several games and gardiner was given more responsibility, he did fine with around 29 minutes.

i'd rather trade franson and phaneuf before gardiner. offensive dmen are hard to draft or sign.

having

reilly-?
gardiner-?

as the first 2 lines would be great. we could fill it out eventually with a few other prospects like granberg, nilsson, loov, finn, percy and macwilliam. and we'd still have gunnarson.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
He said when the Leafs season is over. At that point why wouldn't you?

Kid has been playing a lot of hockey lately, I would rather give him some rest. Last year he played in junior then went to AHL and then leafs prospect games, pre season games, summer camp. He has done everything to deserve a break.

If Marlies can`t put it together in playoffs then sure, but I don`t find any reason for the guy to be pushed that hard just for his growth.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
i meant short leash in terms of being called up or given consideration or considered a strong prospect, not short leash in terms of being in the doghouse. he isn't making a lot of mistakes at the ahl level.

at the ahl level, you still aren't going to have 4 centres in a scoring role. if holland doesn't make the big team, then he's your first or second centre. imo, he has the potential to be a second liner, but fills in on third just fine on the leafs.

if cv makes the marlies in a year or 2, that might push mcgregg down the depth chart if sprott doesn't pull a eakins. by that time, mcgregg will be what, around 23?

also, 41 points in 51 games is not nearly a point a game, it's around 80%. it's very good for the ahl level, but nothing is screaming nhler; i'd say abbott shows more skill from what i saw on the offensive side, and leivo, although it's just in spurts.

if mcgregg makes the nhl, i'd be happy, but i'd say the odds are low to make a top 2 position.

McKegg is 21, Abbott is 25.

But you express concern about Spott treating CV like Eakins treated his youngsters? Playing the vets in key roles? So you have to be suggesting McKegg was one of Eakins victims? So this year McKegg got his first fair opportunity? It isn't like McKegg is a AHL vet taking away development time from the youngsters.

Will he make it ... odds are against most of the prospects in the system. More so against the juniors who haven't even played against men.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
McKegg is 21, Abbott is 25.

But you express concern about Spott treating CV like Eakins treated his youngsters? Playing the vets in key roles? So you have to be suggesting McKegg was one of Eakins victims? So this year McKegg got his first fair opportunity? It isn't like McKegg is a AHL vet taking away development time from the youngsters.

Will he make it ... odds are against most of the prospects in the system. More so against the juniors who haven't even played against men.

Holland, McKegg, Ashton and Leivo deserve the most opportunity. They're our most important forward prospects down there.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
Agreed, along with Percy and Granberg on defense.

D'Amigo is all but graduated.

With Kulemin gone, I see D'Amigo taking his spot. He has the most chance of becoming another Kulemin for us. Keeps his wheels running all the time, plays in all situations and creates a lot of space for his line mates with hitting and grinding style.

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
How does Knodel look?

Spott put him with Percy because of Percy's "calming influence" and that "he can do a lot of teaching with Knodel". He didn't play much in the third, I guess because it was a tight game and they wanted him to have a positive experience so they were just protecting him (as Spott put it). Wasn't really noticeable other than how huge he is. He put a few pucks on net . Spott described his play as efficient.

Marlies play again today. Smith back in the lineup after being a getting a day off yesterday (back2back2back games this weekend). Kozun won't play, Spott not to happy with him

mikebel111*

Yeah a reporter asked what he thought of kozun's penalty

He replied bluntly
"I think he wont play tomorrow"

Are these the kids we are trading for? Kids with bad reps?

Good going nonis!

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
I never liked the Kozun trade. Would rather have Crescenzi and one less guy for our prospects to compete with for top 6 ice time. At least Kozun should be gone next year and we can use that contract spot to sign another one of our prospects

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Question

Going to the game today. Where is the cheapest place to park around the Exhibition place?

FriedEgg

Sep 26, 2009
Spott put him with Percy because of Percy's "calming influence" and that "he can do a lot of teaching with Knodel". He didn't play much in the third, I guess because it was a tight game and they wanted him to have a positive experience so they were just protecting him (as Spott put it). Wasn't really noticeable other than how huge he is. He put a few pucks on net . Spott described his play as efficient.

That really says a lot about Percy. Really do believe he can step in the top 6 next year without a problem.

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
I never liked the Kozun trade. Would rather have Crescenzi and one less guy for our prospects to compete with for top 6 ice time. At least Kozun should be gone next year and we can use that contract spot to sign another one of our prospects

What a rediculous post. Anyone who has actually been watching the Marlies play would see that Kozun is twice the player we gave up for him is.. He has been producing except for this last little stretch which just so happens to coincide with the arrival of a ton of healthy bodies. Kozun is one of our hardest working forwards night in and night out and has shown he can out the puck in the net. I'll take that over a guy who had no AHL future, let alone NHL future.

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
That really says a lot about Percy. Really do believe he can step in the top 6 next year without a problem.

I think he could play in the LEAFS top 6 yea lol. He will probably get another full year in the AHL and hopefully be the number 1 guy. However, if he comes into camp a bit bigger/stronger then i see no reason why he can't make the team

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
What a rediculous post. Anyone who has actually been watching the Marlies play would see that Kozun is twice the player we gave up for him is.. He has been producing except for this last little stretch which just so happens to coincide with the arrival of a ton of healthy bodies. Kozun is one of our hardest working forwards night in and night out and has shown he can out the puck in the net. I'll take that over a guy who had no AHL future, let alone NHL future.

he's 24 year old midget and is having the worst year of his 4 year AHL career. Crescenzi is a huge mother who was/is being groomed as a 4th line centerman and is only 21. The only one of the two i can say for sure that has no NHL future is Kozun. All kozun is doing is taking up a roster spot for one of the Leafs prospects. The AHL should be a developmental league for our prospects, winning is secondary (this is in my opinion). At least he's gone next year (hopefully)

Last edited by a moderator:

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
he's 24 year old midget and is having the worst year of his 4 year AHL career. Crescenzi is a huge mother who was/is being groomed as a 4th line centerman and is only 21. The only one of the two i can say for sure that has no NHL future is Kozun. All kozun is doing is taking up a roster spot for one of the Leafs prospects. The AHL should be a developmental league for our prospects, winning is secondary (this is in my opinion). At least he's gone next year (hopefully)

First, I think it says it all when someone refers to any hockey player as a "huge mother ."Second, the player we traded away was an ECHL calibre player. Kozun has been solid at the AHL level.. Again, If you have actually watched the games I think it would be easy to agree that we are fielding a better team on the ice with more NHL calibre prospects with Kozun in the lineup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad