Injury Report: 2013-2014 Injury News/Discussion (11/9: Nash skates, Pyatt concussed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callagraves

Block shots
Jan 24, 2011
Cally returning will be meaningless playing with Boyle and Pyatt.

Yeah, I think Pyatt is going to be my whipping boy this year. Pyle. I'm going to be calling him Pyle of crap.

16 To Stanley*

I'd take Pyatt over Miller pretty easily right now.

You have your opinion, i have mine. I'd rather have my fourth line have grit and offensive creativity.

Boyle and Pyatt out there is essentially useless offensively. And I don't see Pyatt as a stalwart defensively either. I like Boyle as a fourth liner, but I'd rather use a more offensive minded Miller on his wing over an all around mediocre guy in Pyatt.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
You have your opinion, i have mine. I'd rather have my fourth line have grit and offensive creativity.

Boyle and Pyatt out there is essentially useless offensively. And I don't see Pyatt as a stalwart defensively either. I like Boyle as a fourth liner, but I'd rather use a more offensive minded Miller on his wing over an all around mediocre guy in Pyatt.

But Miller doesn't have grit or offensive creativity.

As of right now, Pyatt is the better player. Miller has the upside, but he needs another year in the minors.

16 To Stanley*

As of right now, Pyatt is the better player. Miller has the upside, but he needs another year in the minors.

And you're basing that off what....20 games last year and one game this year?

He has more offensive potential in his pinky then Pyatt. Sure he's going to have growing pains, but so will any rookie we call up.

And while he may not be putting up the points yet, he certainly is a somewhat edgy player, much more so then Pyatt in my opinion.

I have my issues with Miller, he's certainly not a sure thing, but we know what we're going to get out of Pyatt, steady play, not much, if any, offense, mediocre defense and a big body on the boards. Watching Pyatt for the past year, I'd rather take the bumps with Miller, let him learn with limited minutes and the defensive Boyle by his side and possibly get rewarded here and there for giving him chances.

If Pyatt could kill penalties, play on the power play or was outstanding defensively, I"d have no problem agreeing with you. But i don't see him above average in, honestly, any area of the game.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

He has more offensive potential in his pinky then Pyatt. Sure he's going to have growing pains, but so will any rookie we call up.

And while he may not be putting up the points yet, he certainly is a somewhat edgy player, much more so then Pyatt in my opinion.

I have my issues with Miller, he's certainly not a sure thing, but we know what we're going to get out of Pyatt, steady play, not much, if any, offense, mediocre defense and a big body on the boards. Watching Pyatt for the past year, I'd rather take the bumps with Miller, let him learn with limited minutes and the defensive Boyle by his side and possibly get rewarded here and there for giving him chances.

If Pyatt could kill penalties, play on the power play or was outstanding defensively, I"d have no problem agreeing with you. But i don't see him above average in, honestly, any area of the game.

A strong assertion, considering that in their post-draft OHL seasons...

Pyatt- 68gp, 40G, 49A, 89 P

Miller-61 gp, 25G, 37A, 62P

And that Pyatt has 130 goals in 800 games translating to about an average of 13 goals a season over a lengthy career. I would liketo wish that Miller had more offensive potential in his pinky, but I'm not sold on the whole perennial 20 goal scorer thing people seem to see. He's going to be a good hockey player, bu 20 goals scorers are getting more and more rare in this league.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

And that Pyatt has 130 goals in 800 games translating to about an average of 13 goals a season over a lengthy career. I would liketo wish that Miller had more offensive potential in his pinky, but I'm not sold on the whole perennial 20 goal scorer thing people seem to see. He's going to be a good hockey player, bu 20 goals scorers are getting more and more rare in this league.

Exactly.

16 To Stanley*

I'm not penciling him in for 20 goals. And I'm not basing Pyatt based on his play a couple years ago.

He seems to be a slowed down version of what he once was. Obviously he was never blazing fast, but the way he has played on the Rangers, in my opinion, is not indicative of how he played prior to that.

More than anyone, I"d love Pyatt to make me eat crow and put up 15 goals this year, hell, even 10 with 4th line minutes would be more then welcome, but I just don't see it happening.

He seems to be behind the play to often and isn't a guy who causes consistent raucous' in front of the net. Maybe with his black hole offense last year, I've become so biased that I can't give him a subjective shot, but I just feel, with all of our youngsters waiting in the wings, it would be a waste to put Pyatt out there, who hasn't shown me he can provide the offense he was once capable of.

Guys slow down as they get older, Pyatt's now 32 and he's a bigger body. I see his peak having passed by. But, maybe he'll make me look like a fool. If he's going to be one of AV's guys, then i sure hope he does.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Cally back is fandiddilytastic but Boyle and Pyatt? I mean really.

Put Cally in the top 6 its not tough.

Do they just send Fast down? Assuming Miller still plays

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

I'd rather have Miller playing 20 minutes a night for the Whale than 4th line minutes with the big club. I think it'll be better for his development.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Rangers are trying to play an up and down, skilled, high tempo game. I fail to see how a slow, plodding, board/perimeter player like Pyatt helps us do that.

I'll take Miller.

Frankly, I'd take Asham based on preseason play.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Fast-Stepan-Nash
Miller/Pyatt-Richards-Cally
Zucc-Brassard-Pouliot
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett
Asham

Is what I would like to see a few games
Think Fast would do some good on the Nash line (a la Hagelin) and maybe create some space to get Nash going
Miller and Pyatt fight it out for a spot next to Richards
ASHAM IN AGAINST TOUGHER TEAMS

Easy

BarbaraAlphanse

Great statistics! That's like comparing baseball players' statistics in the A league.

Nothing like whipping out completely irrelevant stats to try and prove a point.

BarbaraAlphanse

Fast-Stepan-Nash
Miller/Pyatt-Richards-Cally
Zucc-Brassard-Pouliot
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett
Asham

Is what I would like to see a few games
Think Fast would do some good on the Nash line (a la Hagelin) and maybe create some space to get Nash going
Miller and Pyatt fight it out for a spot next to Richards
ASHAM IN AGAINST TOUGHER TEAMS

Easy

Many Fast supporters, including myself, but first line is ridiculous.

Hags to first. Cally to 2nd. Pouloit to healthy scratches. Pyatt cut. That''s what should happen.

BarbaraAlphanse

How about, Miller doesn't deserve to be on the fourth line... period.

He doesn't need another year in the minors. Enough of the minors. Kids have growing pains. They need real competition. Let him play, let him have the mistakes. He'll only get better.

3rd line role at about 10-12 min a game should do him wonders.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Many Fast supporters, including myself, but first line is ridiculous.

Hags to first. Cally to 2nd. Pouloit to healthy scratches. Pyatt cut. That''s what should happen.

Why would that be ridiculous - at least until Hagelin is back? He will be out until game #11 anyways now after going on LTIR. Btw I told you guys already last November that Hagelins injury was going to require surgery. Most of you scoffed at this and came with all kinds of "expert views" -but my sources were entirely correct as what can be expected in a case like this.
Dubinsky came in as a rookie center and played first line minutes with Jagr his first pro year and was quite OK there
I do not see why not giving Fast a try here is not worth a shot for this road trip. When Hagelin returns it is an entirely different story. Fast, unless he completely tears it up, most likely gets sent down to the Wolfpack then anyways *(pending trades)
Nash has looked horrible with whoever he is paired with for quite a long time. He needs a fresh injection. NOW
Stepans rust will force him to cover up defensibly and take a responsibility there
Let the horses loose
Guy has already been a regular on the Swedish National team and a almost star in the SEL mens league. Higher level of play than the AHL. He is the player on the team right now most adapted to fill Hagelins role. If he can handle the minutes, intensity and matchups is an issue he will have to prove. Short term fill

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Captain Cally playing on Monday

Says NYR.com/BSU
http://blueshirtsunited.com/posts/3977/barring-setback-callahan-should-play-monday-night

cally-america.jpg~original

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I know that everyone would like to 'see Miller over Pyatt.' However, clearly, Miller isn't there yet. Could he play on a lower NHL line? Sure. However, doesn't it make more sense for him to play on a top line getting PP and PK time in Hartford to fully round out his game? I feel like some posters here talk as if by being on the NHL roster, that automatically means faster development. Guys like Callahan, Dubinsky, Anisimov, Sauer, and McDonagh all spent serious time in the minors to develop there games until the brass thought that they were prepared and developed enough for the NHL. Last year Miller was pressed into action too early due to a serious lack of team depth. That time would probably have been better spent in Hartford rather than trying to tread water, and not make mistakes.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I think he helps out lots like I said. He isn't just grinding either. Tough and gritty but also has some nice skills as we know. Really helps out a lot of aspects of the game we play

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad