2013-2014 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
What's his real value? He's a fourth round pick playing in the ECHL. I'm not arguing he's worthless, but he's not exactly a heralded prospect.

I probably wouldn't trade him just for organizational filler, but it's not a crazy idea.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
They could make a move with Columbus for Mike McKenna, who is a very solid goaltender at the AHL level, and a character guy.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
Major homer announcing. The BPT guy is Jack Edwards-esque. McIlrath did well. Will be interesting to see where Gallant ends up in a few years. Too much guts, too little size. He'll eat one that will put him out for a while.

Gallant's career path is similar to that of Langdon . Gallant's dad[Pinky] was a warrior in PEI hockey circles . I can't remember him ever losing a bout . His brothers also played QMJHL...they are a tough family ...very very tough . The Isles will likely throw him into a couple against us at some point this season .

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
Really can't wait for McIlrath really like the kid, hoping his game rounds out nicely and he's up with the big boys later this year. Think he's been handled really well and the organization has invested a lot in getting him to pan out.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Gallant's career path is similar to that of Langdon . Gallant's dad[Pinky] was a warrior in PEI hockey circles . I can't remember him ever losing a bout . His brothers also played QMJHL...they are a tough family ...very very tough . The Isles will likely throw him into a couple against us at some point this season .
It's pretty impressive that he can take punishment from guys much, much bigger and keep firing away. Maybe he can have a Boulton-like career but Boulton seems heavier/stronger.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I wouldn't be surprised if the Islanders use him. They had him up at least once last year and he didn't play. His career path was similar to Langdon's. Langdon was a better hockey player and maybe a little bit bigger. Darren would score the odd goal here and there every year. Gallant hardly ever scored in the Q or the ECHL or in the AHL. As a player he's about as good as John Scott--maybe a somewhat better skater.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I wouldn't be surprised if the Islanders use him. They had him up at least once last year and he didn't play. His career path was similar to Langdon's. Langdon was a better hockey player and maybe a little bit bigger. Darren would score the odd goal here and there every year. Gallant hardly ever scored in the Q or the ECHL or in the AHL. As a player he's about as good as John Scott--maybe a somewhat better skater.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
We could have used a player like McIlrath today.

Let's not rush him. Give him to the end of the year. He looked a bit lost in the AHL last season and I suspect he'll look very lost in the NHL if he gets called up right now. He's just beginning to regain his confidence and play the way he should. Let's have the skills get locked in before calling him up.

Last edited:

Punxrocknyc19*

what is the point of having Shawn O'Donnell or Brodie Dupont in the AHL?? why would these young players take advice from a player that has no chance of making the NHL?? and is St.Croix that bad that a guy like O'Donnell or some AHL vet is pushing St.Croix to become part of the ECHL??

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
what is the point of having Shawn O'Donnell or Brodie Dupont in the AHL?? why would these young players take advice from a player that has no chance of making the NHL?? and is St.Croix that bad that a guy like O'Donnell or some AHL vet is pushing St.Croix to become part of the ECHL??
I think it's because they don't have enough pending NHL superstars and former NHL captains to fill out a roster.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Because pro hockey is pro hockey, and those two are most likely consummate profressionals who exude work ethic and humility, in conjunction with helping the team on the ice. Every team has players like this. Why do you ask this almost daily?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
We had one of those once, his partner is HOF, Jeff something or other....

There are people in high school who weren't even born when he had him. Holy smokes, I thought it may have been 2002 or 2003 when we lost him, but it's been 15 years already.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Guys don't have to be NHL stars to serve as leaders and impart their knowledge. How many coaches, in all sports, were career minor leaguers or taxi squad guys? And by the same token, talented, star-level players aren't necessarily cutout to instruct and lead younger guys. Brodie Dupont is a good minor league player, a good locker room guy. It's helpful having those guys around to show the kids the ropes and keep people in line. Actual coaches only have so much of a role in the locker room.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
For those interested here is a link to video's of the fight.

http://www.hockey-fights.com/forum/showtopic.php?tid/541710/

McI did pretty well against two serious heavyweights.
To those who think he shouldn't be dropping the gloves with these guys I totally disagree. In the end for him to be a successful hockey player with the physical style he plays he's going to have to drop the gloves occasionally. Can't start worrying about injuries all the time.

These fights were both about even that last punch in the first fight didn't even connect.
Funny how in many fights people think because the guy fell he lost, lol ok. "OMG he fell, Holy crap he lost"

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
These fights were both about even that last punch in the first fight didn't even connect.
Funny how in many fights people think because the guy fell he lost, lol ok. "OMG he fell, Holy crap he lost"

Yeah--you have to kind of ignore the Bridgeport announcer. The last two punches are by Gallant--the first skims off of Dylan's helmet as he's ducking away and Gallant moving in at the same time kind of knocks him off balance--that's why he falls and then the last punch glances off his shoulder or maybe not. It didn't land to the side of the head. Basically it's Gallant as Joe Frazier--smaller guy who wants to turn everything into a brawl and McIlrath as Muhammed Ali--taller guy wanting to pick off the other guy and avoid getting really tagged. The fight was a draw.

More or less the Johnson fight was a draw with maybe Johnson a slight edge. It was hard to tell what was landing and what was not. Considering that McIlrath had already once in the same period Johnson had that to his advantage as well.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
There are people in high school who weren't even born when he had him. Holy smokes, I thought it may have been 2002 or 2003 when we lost him, but it's been 15 years already.

15 years today. That's pretty wild.

I remember that game pretty well. Kings were awful that year. Manny Malhotra scored on a shot from center ice to open the scoring. Kovalev finally scored a goal. Rangers won 5-1.

And of course the Johnson sucker punch. Brutal to watch.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
It will be good for The Pack to get Mashinter and Miller back. Both provide some good primary scoring down there and much needed depth.

Mash doesn't really provide much scoring. Maybe size and a two-way presence. It won't hurt, but we won't be getting a massive offensive inflow with his return.

Hope Kantor stays in the lineup and someone else sits when Mash is back.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Mash doesn't really provide much scoring. Maybe size and a two-way presence. It won't hurt, but we won't be getting a massive offensive inflow with his return.

Hope Kantor stays in the lineup and someone else sits when Mash is back.

He isn't a force but he adds to the overall offensive depth. 4 points in 6 games to start the season. 19 points in 35 games last year. He helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad