2013-2014 Hartford Wolf Pack/Greenville Road Warriors Thread Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

odhaguy

Aug 6, 2007
Malcolm has the talent to play in the AHL but he is streaky and plays best when he is on a roll.

There will be reinforcements available at the end of the NCAA season, good goaltenders like Steve Summerhays and Sam Brittain will become available.

Brittain is a Florida draft pick

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I've read good things about McIlrath once in a while. Has he improved since last year? How far away is he from playing in the NHL if at all?

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Id make that trade in heartbeat. NYR essentially have no 3rd string goalie they could play if Henrik or Cam go down for a longer period. LaBarbara won't shut down the NHL, but he'll give you a chance to win.

No he won't.
I've read good things about McIlrath once in a while. Has he improved since last year? How far away is he from playing in the NHL if at all?
I know that Tinordi, Psysk, Fowler and even Jack Campbell have all played more games in the NHL. I also know that Gormley has had a far better PP/G avg. I fear that knowing more about him would only depress me further.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2012
NY
No he won't.

I know that Tinordi, Psysk, Fowler and even Jack Campbell have all played more games in the NHL. I also know that Gormley has had a far better PP/G avg. I fear that knowing more about him would only depress me further.

I know that Tyler Myers became a regular in the NHL before Alex Pietrangelo and Zach Bogosian. It's not a race to the NHL.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
No he won't.

You should catch a few Wolf Pack games, or check the last version of this thread for some analysis of his game. Maybe then you wouldn't be so depressed.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT
You should catch a few Wolf Pack games, or check the last version of this thread for some analysis of his game. Maybe then you wouldn't be so depressed.

Yes, McIlrath has looked very good this year. Not sure if he is quite ready to stick in the NHL, but hes getting close.

Skating/positioning has been vastly improved.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'd wager he gets a cup of coffee at some point this year, and makes it close to full time next season.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
In a lot of ways, McI is the defensive version of Kreider. Drafted in large part based on physical attributes. A raw player who needs time to learn. And the question with both has been, are they able to think the game at a high enough level to take advantage of their physical gifts?

Right now with Kreider, we are seeing that he has the hockey IQ and vision to do just that. Hopefully McI can show the same in the next year or two.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
It would be nice to have a unique player like McIlrath play. I feel like he can be a really good role player if he pans out. A guy that will discourage players from running Hank and going to the front of the net and maybe a guy that'll turn the momentum of games with big hits.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
McIlrath even as a bottom pairing defenseman will be a weapon in a way that none of Pysyk, Gormley or Fowler are. He is a different kind of player. One should also keep in mind that he had a serious knee injury last year and at this point has only 61 Ahl games to his credit. This set his development back a bit. I'm not worried about him. It took Jeff Beukeboom (whose style more resembles McIlrath's) several years to solidify an NHL job but when he did he was a great asset for the Rangers for years.

In regard to Pysyk as well--Buffalo's been rushing top draft picks to the NHL--Pysyk may or may not be an exception to that.

Mugless

Aug 26, 2004
No he won't.

Cam Fowler is -55 so far in the NHL. As a bit of a comparison, Del Zotto is -3 in the NHL. We didn't exactly pass up Bobby Orr in order to draft McIlrath.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
I really doubt it.

Looking at the schedule, there are some easy home games where he can get his feet wet.
Moore has been struggling, a couple of games in the press box would do him some good.
DZ will play on his strong side with McI, if they want to showcase him.
So few things can be accomplished by the call up. Again, pure speculation on my part.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
He might be the first call up in the case of an injury on defense. I doubt they would roll with Faulk for more than a game or two.
I would doubt it. Johnson and Allen seem to be getting more minutes in Hartford. AV didn't seem to eager to get him in the lineup during preseason.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
We may see McIlrath called up before xmas.

not happening. no way the organization brings him up and has him struggle.

hes playing better of late and hes getting healthy. hes being handled carefully.

his best trajectory is to play the entire season in hartford, become their best dman, play in all situations and gain confidence, and then seamlessly transition to a role with the big club outa camp next fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad