2013-2014 Columbus Blue Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I'm not sure where to start. How much tinkering needs to be done? Any moves I think need to be on our forward core. Top line left wing should be a point of need for this club. I'm not saying that this is who I want them to go after, but one name I'll throw out is Dany Heatley. There are rumors that the Wild will buy him out and he might be available for a better price that fits our budget. I'm not sure how they fill this hole. To be able to make a move like that, some pieces are going to have to move to accomodate the increased salary and reduced cap.

I think that Umberger and Nikitin will be available this summer, possibly others, but I'm not sure who. I guess it depends on who is available to acquire.

They must re-sign Anisimov, BOBROVSKY and Prospal. I think they should re-sign Comeau, I really like what he brought to the fourth line and is capable on filling in on a higher line. As for Bob's backup, I think that Curtis McIlhinney has earned that spot with his performance in Springfield. He's a cheaper option than Leighton.

I'm on the fence about Gillies and Aucoin. I like what Aucoin brings to the leadership group. Gillies is really a non-factor.

Prospal/UFA-Anisimov-Gaborik
Umberger/Prospal-Johansen-Foligno
Calvert-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Comeau-Letestu-MacKenzie/Boll

Johnson-Tyutin
Wizniewski-Prout
Erixon/Nikitin/Murray-Aucoin

Bobrovsky
McIlhinney

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Question: In your opinion is Elias Lindholm NHL ready? How does he compare to Gabriel Landeskog? He might be a guy we can target if we trade up to say 7 or 8? If he's still there....

Lindholm could play in the NHL next season but he shouldn't. He's sliding now in the rankings because he was very clearly a boy playing with men in the SEL playoffs when his team was utterly destroyed. Very much like Columbus playing against Detroit in 2009. He was great during the regular season but against increased competition and with some nagging injuries, he wasn't able to do much.

Lindholm is on a similar career path to Nicklas Bäckström and should spend another year in the SEL where he plays center (he was playing wing all season in the SEL) and continues developing his skill and maturing physically.

Peter Forsberg and Mats Sundin didn't play in the NHL the season after they were drafted, so there's nothing against Lindholm for staying.

Whether Lindholm slides in the actual draft, not just the rankings, I highly doubt it. The numbers he put up in the SEL as a 17/18 year old are phenomenal, especially playing on a very young team. But depending on how many defenseman go in the top 10, he could slide to the 10-13 range.

bizzz*

I love these "what's next" threads. Everyone says whatever they think.
ViD called the CBJ the biggest mess in the NHL prior to the season, I said that his Tampa is in a way bigger mess. That looked laughable at the time, but now I'm flaming just cause I've pointed at it.
We had about 1000 posters like major-major around here just 10 years ago... Now all of them are gone... Don't get me wrong, I really like most of the people around here, more than 90%, but the rules make all the conversations too meatless...
Wait... Why do I post this? I just wanted to say that Arty won't stay back in Russia anyway. I know that Loko wants him back, but the guy doesn't want to be the best guy on the farm. He wants to be the best in the city. Do you remember his comment when he said that he's better than Nash? I hope he wins the Cup before Rick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
Lindholm could play in the NHL next season but he shouldn't. He's sliding now in the rankings because he was very clearly a boy playing with men in the SEL playoffs when his team was utterly destroyed. Very much like Columbus playing against Detroit in 2009. He was great during the regular season but against increased competition and with some nagging injuries, he wasn't able to do much.

Lindholm is on a similar career path to Nicklas Bäckström and should spend another year in the SEL where he plays center (he was playing wing all season in the SEL) and continues developing his skill and maturing physically.

Peter Forsberg and Mats Sundin didn't play in the NHL the season after they were drafted, so there's nothing against Lindholm for staying.

Whether Lindholm slides in the actual draft, not just the rankings, I highly doubt it. The numbers he put up in the SEL as a 17/18 year old are phenomenal, especially playing on a very young team. But depending on how many defenseman go in the top 10, he could slide to the 10-13 range.

Man if Lindholm somehow slides all the way to 14 you gotta take him and laugh all the way to the bank, that'd be a pure steal for us.

jdhebner

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I ain't cousin Basil
Visit site
I forget where I read it, but I recall reading quotes from Vinny after the deadline saying he wanted to be here and felt he had more left in the tank.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't play one more year here given how well he played at times this season.

According to the Chat transcript.

Vinny told me with a week left in the season that he was having fun, that he felt great, that, yes, he wanted to keep playing. Didn't know what the teams plans were, but he was really enjoying himself. The Blue Jackets want to evaluate Springfield in the playoffs -- just how ready is BOONE JENNER? -- before they make those decisions. That's what Kekalainen said yesterday. He also raved about Vinny. Will post that QnA also. So, no decision made just yet, but it appears there's a mutual interest.

Logic would dictate that the CBJ least make a modest attempt to re-sign Prospal. Any FA signing or whatever better be for someone who has at least gotten close to Prospal's production (around 50 points in a season on average).

Last edited:

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Man if Lindholm somehow slides all the way to 14 you gotta take him and laugh all the way to the bank, that'd be a pure steal for us.

I can't see how it could happen. If there was a weird run on defensemen and Nurse, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Pulock and Morrissey all go in the top 13, multiple teams were after Fucale so someone felt the need to spend a top 13 pick on him, Nichushkin doesn't drop too much, then maybe Lindholm falls to the 11-12 range. But I can't see how anyone could pick forwards like Mantha, Erne, Wennberg or Zykov before Lindholm. The same would be true for any of the other forwards in that 5-10 range like Monahan or Shinkaruk if they dropped.

The Jackets can't count on any of the 2013 draft picks to be in the lineup next season. Chances are they will be all 1-3 years out.

squarelaces

Aug 6, 2005
R.J. - Pay him to go away
Aucoin for 2M? No
Prospal for 2.5? NO. Maybe 13th forward/player-coach for 1M. He. Is. The. Slowest. Player. In. The. League.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
R.J. - Pay him to go away
Aucoin for 2M? No
Prospal for 2.5? NO. Maybe 13th forward/player-coach for 1M. He. Is. The. Slowest. Player. In. The. League.

And. He. Led. The. Team. In. Points.

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Vinny's impact on this team is immeasurable. 2.5 for a player/coach is a bargain. I'd rather it be 1.7 or so, but let's see what happens. I can't imagine he would want more than 2.5, so the whole possibility seems like a no-brainer.

Timeless Winter

SaveD the Crew
Oct 13, 2006
Cleveland, Ohio
Who could we possibly add in terms of a good Winger FA?
I'm not too familiar with most of the players in the league.

Non-realistic FA wingers are Jagr, Iginla, Selanne, Alfredsson, Elias.

Some other ones that are out there are Brad Boyes, Michael Ryder, Clarke MacArthur, Damien Brunner, Pascal Dupuis, Viktor Stalberg, Mason Raymond, and Valtteri Filppula:heart:.

I don't really see any huge names.

Tonysil

Jan 1, 2013
Springfield, MA
The Blue Jackets want to evaluate Springfield in the playoffs -- just how ready is BOONE JENNER?

I wouldn't say he's NHL ready but Boone looks very good so far. I suspect that he will get the same treatment Cam did last year, 30 or so games with us and then gone.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Who could we possibly add in terms of a good Winger FA?
I'm not too familiar with most of the players in the league.

Non-realistic FA wingers are Jagr, Iginla, Selanne, Alfredsson, Elias.

Some other ones that are out there are Brad Boyes, Michael Ryder, Clarke MacArthur, Damien Brunner, Pascal Dupuis, Viktor Stalberg, Mason Raymond, and Valtteri Filppula:heart:.

I don't really see any huge names.

Not a sexy name, but I'd love to get a guy like David Clarkson. Guy would fit here like a glove.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
It would be good if they could snag a scoring winger to ride shotgun with Gaborik. To do that, we'll probably have to shed a winger and some salary, making RJU the most logical choice. I'm not a fan of buyouts though unless absolutely necessary. If no one takes him in a trade, I'd rather keep him and wait until the trade deadline.

Honestly, if there is no deal out there that makes sense, I'm fine with heading into camp with essentially the same roster as what we finished with (sign Arty and Bob of course, Prospal would be my preference to re-sign too, possibly Comeau and Aucoin).

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Any interest in Derek Roy? I think his natural position is Center but TSN has LW/C as his postion. Only problem is, rumour was when he was with Dallas, he wanted $5+million a season because he would have been their number 1 center. Not sure if he lowers his demands if he knows he won't be on the top line but if Columbus were to give him a call, I can see him asking for $5+.

Valtteri Filppula, another rumour was he was asking for a lot of money from Detroit as well. Think $5 million which is way to much for his production imo.

I would take a chance on Brunner if the price was right. I would sign Ryder as well as he can put pucks in the net and has a Cup(experience). But is his defensive play poor? If he was on a line with Gaborik, that line could score a lot but could also allow a lot of goals.

Any interest in players like Briere or Heatley if they get bought out?

Any trade options? Will the Ducks trade Ryan?

What's the word on Iginla? Anyone heard where he might end up next season?

I'm guessing the Pens or any team that has a shot of winning the Cup within 2 years. Don't think he would sign with us for that reason. If he wins the Cup this year, I can see him going back to Calgary or signing with Edmonton(hometown).

Last edited:

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

I keep seeing a trade with Philly to move up a few slots and possibly take Shinkaruk or Lindholm (preferred but unlikely). I believe Philly will need some cap space and they also need defensive help. Wonder if something like:

To Philly: NYR 1st (currently 19), Nikitin and Savard
To CBJ: Philly 1st (#11) and Brierre (cap space savings)

That would get Philly a top 4 d-man, solid pick, good prospect and save approx 4.5MM in cap space. Columbus gets a top line W with only $3MM in salary but higher cap figure. Seems like something to consider for both teams right?

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I keep seeing a trade with Philly to move up a few slots and possibly take Shinkaruk or Lindholm (preferred but unlikely). I believe Philly will need some cap space and they also need defensive help. Wonder if something like:

To Philly: NYR 1st (currently 19), Nikitin and Savard
To CBJ: Philly 1st (#11) and Brierre (cap space savings)

That would get Philly a top 4 d-man, solid pick, good prospect and save approx 4.5MM in cap space. Columbus gets a top line W with only $3MM in salary but higher cap figure. Seems like something to consider for both teams right?

Briere's NMC could be a problem. Around the deadline he was rumoured to be on the block. I think he basically straight up said he wasn't waiving it, no matter what team it was.

squarelaces

Aug 6, 2005
And. He. Led. The. Team. In. Points.

And RJ is a consistent 20 goal scorer. Our team wasn't good enough. Vinny is slow. He helped us but he is slow. RJ and him need to be upgraded for us to take this next step. My guess is that there isn't a big RJ market. How much do you think Vinny would get on the free agent market?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
And RJ is a consistent 20 goal scorer. Our team wasn't good enough. Vinny is slow. He helped us but he is slow. RJ and him need to be upgraded for us to take this next step. My guess is that there isn't a big RJ market. How much do you think Vinny would get on the free agent market?

Not sure what RJ has to do with the fact that Vinny led the team in points. And did it, somehow, while being the slowest player in the league. So perhaps he has proven able to provide offene without being fleet of foot. Pretty sure his points are no different than anyone else's points, i.e. slow points count the same, I do believe. Unless Howson introduced some other rule with which I'm not familiar.

jdhebner

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I ain't cousin Basil
Visit site

If you are going to suggest upgrades, list names and how many points they've averaged over the last 4 years. These upgrades need to demonstrate that they have already exceeded RJs and/or Vinny's point totals. My hypothesis is that you're not going to find any...

Interesting note: Dubinsky (I like the guy don't get me wrong) put up more than 50 points (54)once in his career.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY

I'm hoping Vinny is signed for next season... as for RJ, at least I can say he played his heart out in several final games leading to the 55 points... I can't say the team will be worse if he is moved but I doubt he'll be going anywhere based on his contract..

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
as for RJ, at least I can say he played his heart out in several final games leading to the 55 points...
And if he had tried the entire season we would've picked up another win along the way and would be in the playoffs right now.

candyman82

Mar 29, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA

I don't care if he's slow, he's smart. The puck will always move faster than a player. Give me a guy with some hockey sense over a Jason Chimera type.

The LA Kings should be evidence enough that foot speed isn't paramount.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
An Inventory of What We Have (IMO):
1st liners: Gaborik
2nd liners: Anisimov, Foligno, Prospal, Dubinsky
3rd liners: Calvert, Atkinson, Johansen, Umberger, Comeau, Letestu
4th liners: Boll, Mackenzie, Gillies

1st pairing: Johnson
2nd pairing: Tyutin, Wisniewski, Prout, Aucoin
3rd pairing: Nikitin, Erixon, Murray

Starting goaltender: Bob
Backup: None

Logic indicates that we should attempt to package a 2nd/3rd line forward or a 2nd pairing defenseman and return either another 1st line forward or a top-pairing defenseman.

That means we should be pursuing hard a quantity for quality deal. Also need to acquire a stable backup goalie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad