2013-2014 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
To be honest though, if McCarron does develop into a pre-2013/14 Kopecky or a Bryan Bickell type, I would be happy. Not asking for the moon here, just someone who can be effective at this level.

If he became another Bryan Bickell who steps up his game big time in the playoffs, I'd be ecstatic. Without taking about 7 years to become a NHL regular like Bickell did, of course.

I find it funny people are all upset at a 25th overall pick disappointing them.

A 25th overall pick in 2013 was viewed as the equivalent of a 15th-20th in other drafts by many, so that's probably why.

He wasn't drafted for offence either. Really, his job would be to give room to the offensive guys to produce.

Here's the thing, can you justify playing him with the offensive guys if he's not producing at least 35-40 points a season?

Unless you want a repeat of the Moen on Plekanec's line days...

hogtownhabsfan*

a guy I was hyping predraft, Nicolas Petan, is putting up crazy numbers again. And with Ty Rattie and Seth Jones having graduated from the CHL, he's starting to look even more legit.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
If he became another Bryan Bickell who steps up his game big time in the playoffs, I'd be ecstatic. Without taking about 7 years to become a NHL regular like Bickell did, of course.

A 25th overall pick in 2013 was viewed as the equivalent of a 15th-20th in other drafts by many, so that's probably why.

Here's the thing, can you justify playing him with the offensive guys if he's not producing at least 35-40 points a season?

Unless you want a repeat of the Moen on Plekanec's line days...
Mccarron has way more skill than Moen though so why even bother with that comparison? I see Bickell in him, he needs to continue to get stronger and heal up that shoulder and he'll be fine. I'm not the slightest bit worried about big MAC
a guy I was hyping predraft, Nicolas Petan, is putting up crazy numbers again. And with Ty Rattie and Seth Jones having graduated from the CHL, he's starting to look even more legit.

I wanted Petan sooo badly... too bad we're a smurf team or else i'm sure he'd have been on the radar!

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
I'm waiting for the second half of the season to reserve judgement on McCarron. I just want to see consistent progression.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Mccarron has way more skill than Moen though so why even bother with that comparison? I see Bickell in him, he needs to continue to get stronger and heal up that shoulder and he'll be fine. I'm not the slightest bit worried about big MAC

I wanted Petan sooo badly... too bad we're a smurf team or else i'm sure he'd have been on the radar!

I thought petan would have been a really fun pick in the second. If only to see hfboards blow up. Then again, not sure who I take between him and Lehkonen.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
I thought petan would have been a really fun pick in the second. If only to see hfboards blow up. Then again, not sure who I take between him and Lehkonen.

I love Lehko but I don't think I hesitate between him and Petan. Admittedly though, I fell in love with Petan due to youtube highlights, which is a cardinal sin. For example I loved Grigorenko for our pick for most of the year due simply to youtube highlights....

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I love Lehko but I don't think I hesitate between him and Petan. Admittedly though, I fell in love with Petan due to youtube highlights, which is a cardinal sin. For example I loved Grigorenko for our pick for most of the year due simply to youtube highlights....

I think I have to give lehkonen a bit of an edge. They're both leading their teams, but one is doing it against men. Biggest knock on these small players is generally their ability to play against bigger, more physical players in the pros.

Once they play on equal footing, it will be a lot easier to judge.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Lekonhen is 6' and Petan is 5'8, at some point wecan't draft Getto, Reway and Petan in the same draft.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
I think I have to give lehkonen a bit of an edge. They're both leading their teams, but one is doing it against men. Biggest knock on these small players is generally their ability to play against bigger, more physical players in the pros.

Once they play on equal footing, it will be a lot easier to judge.

Agreed, I just think talent trumps all. If Petan translates then we are looking at a 90 point player. I trust in timmins though and what ive seen from lehko is really pleasing.

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
Leading the Way: An Interview With Michigan Captain Mac Bennett

Mac+Bennett+2009+NHL+Entry+Draft+Rounds+2+bVEIPIF691Ml.jpg

As a stay at home defenseman with flashes of two way instinct, Mac’s path to Michigan was a unique one, at least for a CCHA/Big 10 school. Mac spent his high school years at the Hotchkiss School in Lakeville, Connecticut, then electing to join the USHL with the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders, where he recorded 23 points in 53 games, finishing as a +17.

However, when asked about his development history, Mac chooses to refer to much humbler roots back in Rhode Island. â€I had a coach growing up named Dennis Vaske who played with the New York Islanders,†he said. “He was a great coach just because he was a little kid trapped in a big guy’s body.â€

Interestingly enough, Vaske is roughly the same stature as Bennett, reaching roughly the same height and about 40 pounds more. â€He made coming to the rink so much fun, and he was so easy to be around, and he taught me so much about the game. He was a defenseman as well so I got to pick his brain on everything.â€

Whereas most players like to mention a favorite player or family member as a first instinct, Mac chose Vaske. Mac knew so much about Dennis both on and off of the ice. Bennett, sparing his dad, called Vaske, “probably the most influential hockey person in my life.†Perhaps it might have been the similarity in playing style or physical characteristics, but Vaske was never known for being overly offensive, rather a guy who played defense by keeping the puck out of the net. “For me I’m a defenseman, so I have to play defense first, then everything else is kind of a bonus.â€

Read Full Story

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I keep forgetting about Bennett. How's he looking? I would hope for better offensive numbers from a 4th year college player, but IIRC Michigan divides the icetime fairly equally.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Pretty amazed by Gregoire right now but not having seen him play I think my expectations are tempered right now.

If he's not the fastest, biggest or most skilled; where would you project him in an NHL lineup? Any chance in hell he could translate this offence to the bigs?

It's too early in his development to really say what he can do, he still has so much time left and he's the youngest prospect in the system. After next season we'll see where he's at and then how he adjusts to the next stage of development at the pro level.

Bennett a stay at home defensemen? I'd say he's the opposite of that, since rushing the puck up ice is his best asset.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I have the same questions about Gregoire. I've watched him play quite a bit this year and he's been absolutely ridiculous thus far. His skating doesn't look as bad as I thought it would and he's got a way better shot than I thought he did, but it's pretty easy to say that when a player is on a 13 game point streak. The level of intensity that Gregoire brings to every game is quite something though. That level of compete alone will get him somewhere. He's quickly becoming one of my favourite prospects to watch.

Speaking of my favourite prospects to watch, Hudon has struggled quite a bit. Barely over a point-per-game this year with 21 points in 19 games. Chicoutimi is certainly weaker, but he hasn't been producing at the level I thought he would and in my viewings he hasn't looked as good either. Although, I'm sure his 6.6 SH% could explain his lack of production, as it's 6.1% lower than his average SH% in the last three seasons...

Good to hear about JG.

I thought Hudon's been better of late?

It's too early in his development to really say what he can do, he still has so much time left and he's the youngest prospect in the system. After next season we'll see where he's at and then how he adjusts to the next stage of development at the pro level.

Decent size and insane compete is very encouraging.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I find it funny people are all upset at a 25th overall pick disappointing them. He wasn't drafted for offence either. Really, his job would be to give room to the offensive guys to produce.

Once he makes the NHL, you will see how effective a 6'5 250 lbs forward is, especially in the playoffs.

Well, at one point, the thought of having him score 25 goals in the NHL was, and probably still is there. A 25 goals, 50 points big body forward, would still be considered being drafted for offense too.

As far as being upset, we have to remember that this was an incredibly strong draft. That you will see players drafted in the 2nd round that will have great careers in the NHL. Add the fact that you take everybody's numbers in the first 2 rounds and McCarron has the worst stats of all the forwards of those 2 rounds. You even go in the 3rd and you find some good forwards there including our own Crisp.

Now, we all know it's not about now....but for the future. And yes, I still think that McCarron can be valuable. So let's hope nobody already abandon the idea that he could be great based on what he's doing now 'cause it would be dumb....but being concerned is surely understandable. But those concerns could end up fairly quickly. Let's hope that if he is really injured, that they rest him....can't believe they are not doing it if it bothers him that much.

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com

Bennett a stay at home defensemen? I'd say he's the opposite of that, since rushing the puck up ice is his best asset.

I had a feeling someone would bring this up haha -

Speaking with the author, Bennett keeps referring himself as a "Defense first" D-man but when the time comes he'll do anything to win. So I agree he's more two-way than stay-at-home but if you asked Bennett he'd say otherwise. I hope this clears up the confusion abit

hogtownhabsfan*

Lekonhen is 6' and Petan is 5'8, at some point wecan't draft Getto, Reway and Petan in the same draft.

Both Lehkonen and Petan are small players, as far as I can tell one is not any much bigger than the other.

I liked both players though, both were in my top 25 forwards in the draft.

Going back and looking at my draft list, and considering who was available, I would have gone Zykov at 25, and then 2 of Petan/Bowey/Fucale between 34 and 36 (I rank forwards, defense, and goalies seperately, and those were the top guys at each spot and all 3 were there at both picks.)

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Milan Lucic 19 pts in 62 games. Way too soon to judge.

But then 68 pts in 70 games in the WHL the year after his draft. He was also in the NHL a year later. I don't see Mccaron in the NHL next year.

Of course, I would love to be wrong though.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
But then 68 pts in 70 games in the WHL the year after his draft. He was also in the NHL a year later. I don't see Mccaron in the NHL next year.

Of course, I would love to be wrong though.

And those stat are even more impressive knowing it was good for 1st in scoring with the Giants, he won the MC MVP and captained team Canada in the super series in the summer. Lucic developpement curve was just phenomenal.

CH4

Jul 21, 2004
Chicoutimi
Good to hear about JG.

I thought Hudon's been better of late?

Decent size and insane compete is very encouraging.

not really.

Although Im not too worried as he's always been a slow starter. His game will pickup the more we approach WJC and he'll light it up with another club after chrismass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad