Prospect Info: 2013-2014 Blues Prospects

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
There is a thread on the main boards asking for each team's top 10 prospects. Here was my take on it for the Blues. Obviously this is very subjective. I think we all agree on the top 3, and I think the clear drop-offs are after 3 and after 8 (although Binnington is no slouch - goalies are just too difficult to predict...he could be an NHL starter someday, or he could bust).

Clear top 3
1. Jake Allen (top 3 goalie in the AHL, arguably #1; starting goalie potential)
2. Dmitrij Jaskin (2nd line PWF potential)
3. Ty Rattie (1st/2nd line sniper potential)

D-men unite!
4. Jordan Schmaltz (2nd pairing PPQB potential, although great development this yr)
5. Joel Edmundson (likely 3rd pairing potential, very physical)
6. Jani Hakanpaa (ditto)
7. Tommy Vannelli (likely 3rd pairing PPQB potential, lot of work to do defensively. Could be 2nd pairing if everything goes right)
8. Colton Parayko (under the radar big d-man with offensive ability - WCHA D-man of the year as a sophomore. I think he has 2nd pairing potential)

This is where there is a dramatic drop, lots of question marks
9. Jordan Binnington (Goalie)
10. Anyone's guess...Andronov, Pochiro, MacEachern, Lindbohm???

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
My list as well. I'd probably give Lindbohm the 10 spot, but you could give it to about 5 other guys and you wouldn't get an argument from me.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
There is a thread on the main boards asking for each team's top 10 prospects. Here was my take on it for the Blues. Obviously this is very subjective. I think we all agree on the top 3, and I think the clear drop-offs are after 3 and after 8 (although Binnington is no slouch - goalies are just too difficult to predict...he could be an NHL starter someday, or he could bust).

Clear top 3
1. Jake Allen (top 3 goalie in the AHL, arguably #1; starting goalie potential)
2. Dmitrij Jaskin (2nd line PWF potential)
3. Ty Rattie (1st/2nd line sniper potential)

D-men unite!
4. Jordan Schmaltz (2nd pairing PPQB potential, although great development this yr)
5. Joel Edmundson (likely 3rd pairing potential, very physical)
6. Jani Hakanpaa (ditto)
7. Tommy Vannelli (likely 3rd pairing PPQB potential, lot of work to do defensively. Could be 2nd pairing if everything goes right)
8. Colton Parayko (under the radar big d-man with offensive ability - WCHA D-man of the year as a sophomore. I think he has 2nd pairing potential)

This is where there is a dramatic drop, lots of question marks
9. Jordan Binnington (Goalie)
10. Anyone's guess...Andronov, Pochiro, MacEachern, Lindbohm???

I think Binnington is probably #4-#6. He did nothing to hurt his prospect status this year at Kalamazoo. Awesome save pct and goals against. Definite starter at Chicago next year. #9 is too low.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I think Binnington is probably #4-#6. He did nothing to hurt his prospect status this year at Kalamazoo. Awesome save pct and goals against. Definite starter at Chicago next year. #9 is too low.

I agree with that, I'd have him at 5. It is a shame that he didn't get to prove himself in the AHL this year, but I don't think you could ask too much more of him in the ECHL.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Binnington still has to prove more to be higher on my list. A good season in the ECHL doesn't really mean anything.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
I agree with that, I'd have him at 5. It is a shame that he didn't get to prove himself in the AHL this year, but I don't think you could ask too much more of him in the ECHL.

Good points, fellas. I would still have him at #9, but would caveat that the dropoff occurs after him. I agree that he's a good prospect, but I would have him low mostly due to the unpredictability of goalies, especially at his age. If he excels in the AHL next year, he will definitely rise on my list.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
but a good season in the WHL, QMJHL, and college does?

In those leagues you are at least going against similar talent level. Binnington was going against people his own age that will never make it or older vets that are career ECHLers. Binnington had a very good season and looks like he has a bright future, but he didn't rise or fall this season.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
U think we could move one of lundstrom or binnington to a team like Edmonton or something for a 2nd rounder?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
U think we could move one of lundstrom or binnington to a team like Edmonton or something for a 2nd rounder?

No, goalie prospects have no value and it's better to keep all of them and see if you hit the jackpot. Quick was a 3rd round pick, Rinne was an 8th, and Lundqvist was an 8th. Even Quick and Rinne weren't great statistical goalies. Quick had a mediocre rookie season in the ECHL as well.

Goalies are like quarterbacks. You should always draft one and if you hit the jackpot in the later rounds how the Patriots got Brady, it can turn a franchise around.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri

Um, as bad as the Oilers are, they have Scrivens and Fasth now, and the Blues isn't going to part with Binnington who will develop with the Wolves and no chance getting a 2nd for Lundstrom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad