Prospect Info: 2013-2014 Blues Prospects

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I know that Armstrong is kind of in everyone's dog house, but what do you guys think about Bill Armstrong - the head of scouting. How would you rate him?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
He has been in the job for almost 4 years and all we can really say is that it is too early to judge. The indications so far certainly do look positive, but we'll have to wait to see how the players develop.

Rattie and Jaškin are both shaping up to be impressive picks for the 30-40 range, but 2011 was also an exceptional draft year where it was pretty easy to draft an NHL talent in the second round. I don't think anyone should really look to that as evidence.

Even without them, our record over the past 3 drafts is looking pretty impressive at this point (for what we have had to work with).

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
There are a few guys in Sweden, Russia, and the Czech republic that could play here much like Cajanek did. The trick is getting them here and paying them enough to give them a reason to come. It's real easy to say...wow this is my shot at the NHL. Reality says I have a family in Sweden, etc. and get paid very well to play here. I'm not sitting in the AHL making nothing. You would almost have to throw a 1 way contract at them with an excellent opportunity to play here or I don't see them coming over. That's just me. I have to hope Jan Vopat is scouring for guys like this to gauge interest and is also looking for guys that came over young that have progressed after a few years to more of an NHL prospect.

Cajanek came over pre-lockout, too. The Russian Super League was not close to the KHL of today, in terms of pay or talent level.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
He has been in the job for almost 4 years and all we can really say is that it is too early to judge. The indications so far certainly do look positive, but we'll have to wait to see how the players develop.

Rattie and Jaškin are both shaping up to be impressive picks for the 30-40 range, but 2011 was also an exceptional draft year where it was pretty easy to draft an NHL talent in the second round. I don't think anyone should really look to that as evidence.

Even without them, our record over the past 3 drafts is looking pretty impressive at this point (for what we have had to work with).

I do think this team needs to start getting better value at the bottom rounds.

Not saying we need a superstar at each pick, but at least some ECHL or AHL talent needs to be had for our system in the 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds. Lindbohlm and Tesink are both solid, but players like Eronen, Macauly, Seaman, and even Saari aren't living up to even considering coming over to N.A. We could have saved a lot of money when we acquired players like Bolduc and Cannone if we had in house players to take their spots.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia

Not saying we need a superstar at each pick, but at least some ECHL or AHL talent needs to be had for our system in the 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds. Lindbohlm and Tesink are both solid, but players like Eronen, Macauly, Seaman, and even Saari aren't living up to even considering coming over to N.A. We could have saved a lot of money when we acquired players like Bolduc and Cannone if we had in house players to take their spots.

Eh, I think we are doing fine in the late rounds, at least since B.Armstrong has taken over. Last year's draft is shaping up to be a stinker, but with no 1st, and only 4 picks overall, there was little hope to start. Guys draft after the 4th round have very little chance of reaching the NHL, and the Blues have done their best work inside first 3-4 rounds.

Our first round picks have been pretty amazing in the last 9 years though. Between 05-10 (we had none in 2011, and Schmaltz is too soon to judge), we had 10 1st rounders, all of which are in the NHL right now. The worst one to date is probably Rundblad, but we flipped him for a 1st and he still has the potential to break out. But outside of him and Cole, every other one is a better than average NHL player. Only 2 picks inside the Top10, too. Eller, Bergy, and Perron all have their shortfalls, but also have immense potential. Oshie, EJ, Petro, Vladdy, and Schwartz are all studs though.

BlueSinceBirth

Jul 4, 2006

I disagree. I would rather go for the boom/bust players late in the draft. You can always find minor league talent. BTW we actually did draft Bolduc.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box

I don't think you can say Eronen, Seaman or Saari are really bad picks. Eronen could play an offensive game here, but he is small. If the Blues are concerned with their size playing at the next level, then don't draft smurfs. Seaman was knocked out with a concussion. Saari isn't playing bad. He is a defensive defenseman and does it quite well. There is just zero offense to his game. The Blues maybe hoped that would round out in the future. May need to give him a few years. It is good that he has defensive instincts first as we have plenty of defenders who don't.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Geez noticed Tommy Vannelli is a team worst -8 though he has 2 g and 6 assists in the playoffs. Phil Housley light?

In the few games that I've watched, I've gotten the same impression. His skating and offensive abilities and instincts are great, but he still needs to develop quite a bit defensively. I think juniors was definitely the better choice for him as he'll still get good minutes despite not being there defensively yet.

I have a friend that played with him in high school and he said he was a late developer, so he's still going to have some growing pains and development to go.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
We didn't draft Vannelli because of his defensive prowess. Granted, I would like to see him improve in that area, but there's no real reason to rush him so he has plenty of time to develop.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
No cause for concern, he still has at least 3-4 years before he'd see any action with us anyway.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

Kurker has been a complete bust. We also haven't been as euro heavy as in the past and have picked up a couple of USHL/high school dmen. Which is very interesting to me.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
Kurker has been a complete bust. We also haven't been as euro heavy as in the past and have picked up a couple of USHL/high school dmen. Which is very interesting to me.

Blues have not had much luck bringing over Euros to learn the North American game and paying their dues in the minors so I have no problem avoiding Euros myself. There have been a few obviously like Frank, Berglund, Polak and Jaskin come to mind who were drafted by the Blues but not much else.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Blues have not had much luck bringing over Euros to learn the North American game and paying their dues in the minors so I have no problem avoiding Euros myself. There have been a few obviously like Frank, Berglund, Polak and Jaskin come to mind who were drafted by the Blues but not much else.

I agree. I don't have a big problem with drafting high school/USHL kids (with a commitment to college or ushl, then college) or a college freshmen. The kids can develop four years, if need be. We retain their rights without starting the clock on them. Ideally, Vanelli would've stayed in college along with Kurker to develop, but instead we had/have to sign them sooner than anticipated.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Lundstrom and Hakanpaa. We can count Eller as well and I'm sure there are a few others. Having a Euro prospect not come over because they aren't good enough is no different than having a Kurker or someone bust and never make it on the Blues.

EL Bandito

Mar 29, 2006
Edwardsville, IL
Zach Poricho has been called up from the ECHL and is on the Wolves roster.

Maybe Pochiro will be a decent bottom 6 pesky fwd for the Blues but I wasn't happy at all with this pick. First he's an overager, passed over in his first draft, second we traded 2 picks to move up to take him and third, the guy I thought would have been a no-brainer in Hudson Fasching was still on the board. Big and talented, 6'3 210lbs +, natural ability and had a much higher upside than Pochiro. They must have really not liked him to not risk a 4th rounder on him.

Then in the 6th they take Santeri Saari, a guy I don't think anybody ever heard of, even scouts I talked with had literally no information on him. They have squat as far a C depth goes and take Saari/Sorry and C's such as Saku Salminen and Greg Chase still on the board. Or even a re-entry pick like Kichton was still there. I just don't understand why they reach for marginal talent (Ponich, Wannstrom, etc) when guys with considerably higher upside are still on the board. Anyhow, end of rant.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Pochiro released from his PTO with the Wolves. No word yet where he landed. Currently it does not look like he is on K-Zoo's roster.

SweetyV

Apr 27, 2014
How's MaCecheran shaping up? Was intrigued when we picked him but haven't heard much since..

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
How's MaCecheran shaping up? Was intrigued when we picked him but haven't heard much since..

OK, but unspectacular Frosh season in Mich St.. We knew he was going to take a few years when we drafted him, but you would like to see steps forward in his sophomore and junior seasons, especially since he played a post draft season in the USHL. It looks like Mich St is losing 3 forwards to graduation, he should play more of a Top 6 role next season.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Lundstrom and Hakanpaa. We can count Eller as well and I'm sure there are a few others. Having a Euro prospect not come over because they aren't good enough is no different than having a Kurker or someone bust and never make it on the Blues.

A bust in the 2nd round is a bust in the 2nd round. I just find it interesting that we seem to have increased our USHL/high school picks. And wonder why the change.

The other issue is the focus on size at forward. There seems to be a large focus on player size vs. skill.

As for Porchiro's being let out of his AHL trial, that isn't much of a shocker. There is no room for him on the Wolves at this time. There are 29 guys on the roster - no reason to pay someone to sit in a box.

I personally like his game - reminds me of Porter. Very physical and hits everything. He will likely go back to the CHL for one last year - if there is no room for him in the AHL/ECHL.

As for Tesink. I think he winds up in the ECHL. Between the two, I like Zach better - as he can fill in the bottom. Tesink is physical enough to do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad