2013-2014 AHL contracts

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
It's for this season and next. Was a tweet, I don't recall who tweeted it, that said multiple AHL teams were interested in him, so maybe that's why Abbotsford gave him the SPC now.

Marko Dano (Springfield) and Trevor van Riemsdyk (Rockford) were also signed to SPCs. Both are signed to ELCs (with Columbus and Chicago respectively).

However, I won't include those ATOs/"weird" SPCs on the list...

Just noticed that Worcester has released Steve Tarasuk...

Released on March 13th
http://theahl.com/stats/transactions.php?f_season_id=43&f_team_id=370

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
from the Philadelphia Flyers website
The Philadelphia Flyers announced that they have signed 5-10, 160-lb forward Kevin Goumas from the University of New Hampshire to an Amateur Try-Out for the remainder of the season and an American Hockey League contract for the 2014-15 season, according to general manager Paul Holmgren.
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=711349

That is the 5th announced AHL contract for next season, right?

Booba

Jun 20, 2005

CHI

Apr 5, 2014
Rockford Icehogs

What's with Rockford picking up Chelios from ECHL Toledo? He's small, young, unproven & hasn't done much that shows potential at the next level!!! They could have brought up one of Toledo's big solid defensemen instead to help out. I guess it pays to have your Daddy make some phone calls to get you moved up rather than move players with actual experience & potential to help the team now & in the future!! Good luck Icehogs - you'll need it.....

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
What's with Rockford picking up Chelios from ECHL Toledo? He's small, young, unproven & hasn't done much that shows potential at the next level!!! They could have brought up one of Toledo's big solid defensemen instead to help out. I guess it pays to have your Daddy make some phone calls to get you moved up rather than move players with actual experience & potential to help the team now & in the future!! Good luck Icehogs - you'll need it.....

Don't let knowledge get in the way of your first ever post......Maybe you should go back and re-read whatever it is that you think you saw and then come back and post.

Let me throw some actual facts at you.....Jake Chelios was signed to a Player-try Out contract by the CHICAGO WOLVES....Daddy didn't do anything because Daddy works for the DETROIT RED WINGS had he made some calls the kid would've stayed in michigan and been in Grand Rapids. He's 6-2 and 200lbs.....man what a runt...oh and one last thing for you.....you said he's small,young, unproven, and hasn't shown much potential to play at next level....Just took a phone call on your behalf......Martin St. Louis said to tell you "hi".

CHI

Apr 5, 2014
Axecrew,

You're right - I had the wrong team. That's the ONLY thing you're right about though. It actually makes even more sense that he went to the Wolves. Everyone knows Chelios Sr. works for Detroit & it would've been way too obvious to send him to Grand Rapids. So expert, where was the last place Chris Chelios played pro hockey? Oh yeah, the Chicago Wolves!!! You seriously want to bring up his size? I guess it's a miracle he put on 15lbs in the last week since leaving Toledo (he was listed @ 185lbs there)!!! Must be the McDonald's big macs on the road to Chicago... And then to say his situation is anything like Martin St. Louis - well that's just cute.

I know you're a self proclaimed expert with 1000+ posts but maybe you should get out from behind the computer & go educate yourself on hockey.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Axecrew,

You're right - I had the wrong team. That's the ONLY thing you're right about though. It actually makes even more sense that he went to the Wolves. Everyone knows Chelios Sr. works for Detroit & it would've been way too obvious to send him to Grand Rapids. So expert, where was the last place Chris Chelios played pro hockey? Oh yeah, the Chicago Wolves!!! You seriously want to bring up his size? I guess it's a miracle he put on 15lbs in the last week since leaving Toledo (he was listed @ 185lbs there)!!! Must be the McDonald's big macs on the road to Chicago... And then to say his situation is anything like Martin St. Louis - well that's just cute.

I know you're a self proclaimed expert with 1000+ posts but maybe you should get out from behind the computer & go educate yourself on hockey.

6'2" 185 is still pretty big and he is still growing. And we all know Chrissy last played under contract to the defunct Atlanta Thrashers and was in Chicago most of the year being a tool.

And look at all the other jabronis being signed to ATOs, PTOs, ELCs, etc. that have proven absolutely nothing. And if you look at the little St. Louis guy, he played 4 years in college ad basically 3 in the A before going to the NHL and succeeding for someone that is 5'8" (I think on skates). Also look up Steve Poapst and Mike Weaver.

Also, Axe is pretty darn knowledgeable about hockey......

CHI

Apr 5, 2014
You guys are missing the point. If his Dad wasn't who he is, this kid would never be given this opportunity right now @ this level...... period.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
I think you're wrong. How do you explain all the other ATOs and PTOs being handed out to recent college players? As for other players in Toledo, they may not get called to Chicago because maybe they are under contract to other AHL teams.

A bigger reason is the Wolves tend to sign ATOs and PTOs to locals. They even like to bring in vets from the area such as Corvo, Brian Fahey, Nardella, etc. from over the years.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
6'2" 185 is still pretty big and he is still growing. And we all know Chrissy last played under contract to the defunct Atlanta Thrashers and was in Chicago most of the year being a tool.

And look at all the other jabronis being signed to ATOs, PTOs, ELCs, etc. that have proven absolutely nothing. And if you look at the little St. Louis guy, he played 4 years in college ad basically 3 in the A before going to the NHL and succeeding for someone that is 5'8" (I think on skates). Also look up Steve Poapst and Mike Weaver.

Also, Axe is pretty darn knowledgeable about hockey......

Actually Tommy St. Louis played in the old IHL for the Cleveland Lumberjacks before getting a recall to Calgary.

axecrew

Feb 6, 2007
Axecrew,

What makes sense junior is the fact that the Wolves are basically decimated on the blueline right now and needed some warm bodies...they watch and scout tons of different leagues including college for possible players. Therefore they didn't nor do they need daddy to help them out on this.....not to mention that Jake Chelios played with the Chicago Steel of the USHL which plays about 10 minutes from where the Wolves play. Kinda hard not to notice a local kid playing in your backyard.
I can guarantee you that GM's could care less who a kids father is...if he can help them win then they'll sign him.....including satan's kid himself.
YOU were the one who brought up his size or your perceived lack of it.....I only listed what the official press notes from the Iowa game on sunday listed him at...before you ask....yes I have them, get them almost every game.
You also were the one who made the comments about how he was young, small, unproven etc....I only used your own words and used an example of a player who years ago had basically the same description given about him and how he made it work.Sorry you don't like it when people used your own words and invoke logic into them to make you look foolish.

Nowhere did I EVER say I was an expert on the game etc.....your words not mine so I'm not a self proclaimed anything and my post count isn't indicative of intellect about the game of hockey......you can be an idiot about the game with 10,000 post just as easily as you can with only 1 post.
As for getting from behind my computer....I am a season ticket holder with the Chicago Wolves and have been attending games there since 1995 which is probably about the time you were born.

In closing here's a little more logic for you.....Chelios signing with Detroit would have made more sense.....Dad works and played for them.....kid grew up in michigan and last I looked detroit was still there......kid played at michigan state.....again in the state of michigan last i looked........kid signed a deal with Toledo in the ECHL.....which is just over the michigan border in ohio and 45 minutes from detroit....did i mention the kid signed with Toledo.....which at last I looked was the ECHL affiliate of the Grand Rapids Griffins and who else?????? Oh yes the DETROIT RED WINGS. And after all it's not like a team has ever signed or drafted a current or former players kid before.....the Howe and Brodeur families said Hi. And that's off the top of my head and what a coincidence.....the Howes played for who????? Oh I know....Hartford Whalers.....and the DETROIT RED WINGS....no precedence there.
Oh and by the way.....I wouldn't know anything about the culinary offerings of McDonalds between Chicago and Toledo but judging from the comments made I'm not sure the same can be said. And as far as my hockey knowledge.....I'll put it up against you any day. You're probably one those who drinks in the kool-aid that bettmen is feeding about how the game is so great etc. But that's another topic for another day

Last edited:

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
To round out this thread, here is a little compilation I made.

These are the players who spent at least the length of a PTO (25 games) on an AHL roster. Despite the fact that some of these players spent a large part of the season with the same team, none of them were officially signed to a SPC (full year AHL contract).

Mike Matczak - Played 34 games with Adirondack
Signed to a PTO contract on December 28, Released at the end of the regular season

Scooter Vaughan- Played 51 games with Bridgeport
Signed to a PTO contract on December 12 and on April 10

Andrew Clark - Played 35 games with Bridgeport
Signed to a PTO contract on December 19 and on February 22, Released on March 30

Jordan Owens - Played 26 games with Hamilton
Signed to a PTO contract on November 28, Released on April 10

Shawn O'Donnell - Played 57 games with Hartford
Signed to a PTO contract before the start of the regular season

Brodie Dupont - Played 26 games with Hartford
Signed to a PTO contract before the start of the regular season, Released on January 14

Justin Vaive - Played 27 games with Hartford
Signed to a PTO contract on January 11

Bretton Stamler - Played 39 games with Hartford
Signed to a PTO contract on January 4

Jim McKenzie - Played 26 games with Iowa
Signed to a PTO contract on January 8 and March 5, Released on April 1

Brett Clark - Played 53 games with Lake Erie
Signed to a PTO contract on December 6

A.J. Gale - Played 26 games with Manchester
Signed to a PTO contract on November 18, Released on February 21

Zach O'Brien - Played 49 games with Manchester
Signed to a PTO contract on November 15

Randy Jones - Played 50 games with Portland
Signed to a PTO contract on October 28

Andrew Cherniwchan - Played 30 games with Providence
Signed to a PTO contract on December 13

Brayden Irwin - Played 45 games with Rochester
Signed to a PTO contract on January 2 and March 3

Nick Tuzzolino - Played 36 games with Rochester
Signed to a PTO contract on November 28 (Released on December 22), January 2 and March 3.

Brett Skinner - Played 38 games with Rockford
Signed to a PTO contract on November 26, January 26, April 6

David Marshall - Played 66 games with Utica
Signed to a PTO contract on October 21 and December 28

Patrick Kennedy - Played 40 games with Utica
Signed to a PTO contract on Jaunary 16

Last edited:

marlcarp71

Jul 23, 2014
Hi Guys, Sorry I'm a beginner here

I was wondering what is going on with these players. Are they Retired? And If so, do you have any link to prove it?

Brett Lebda
Mark Mittera
Michael Sauer (Mike)
Graham Mink
Jeff May
Chris Murray (D) (1984)
Evan Barlow
Charlie Effinger
Sean Collins (D) (1983)
Jon Sim
Robbie Earl
Chris Carrozzi
Jimmy Bubnick
Justin Daniels
Kyle De Laurell
Tyler Stahl
Brad Peltz
Hal Gill
David Aebischer
Jeff Halpern
Mike Mottau
Kent Huskins
Brett Clark
Radek Martinek
Corey Sarich (ok, i've found it he had an accident 2 days ago)
Andrew Albert
David Laliberté
Zach Mckelvie (Ok I've found it he is now assistant coach for the Black Knights Army of West Point)
Jerred Smithson
Ben Ryan

I hope i'm at the good place to ask it and Thank you for your help.

marlcarp71

Jul 23, 2014
Normaly eliteprospects can help, but for these players no one is considered as retired (except Zach Mckelvie since I wrote them).

I can't find anything about their retirement. For some of them, I have almost the answer, but couldn't find if they are really retired or not.

For example. For Jimmy Bubnick, i've found that he studied at University of Saskatchewan, he won the Howard Nixon trophy for the Rookie of the year and that he had a direct entry to the Edwards School of Business or Engineering. His 2 older brothers both ended up playing hockey after 1 year in University of Saskatechewan. So what happened to Jimmy Bubnick in year 2013-14. He didn't played hockey.

This is only one example for what I've found on these plyers and that'S why I ask for a little help! Thanks a lot again!

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
For players like Mink or Halpern, they played last season, but waited until late to sign in both cases. Given young families, their age, and playing situations, unless they announce something, have to wait and see if they play this season. Note, I am using those two because I know the details, and in both cases won't be surprised to learn that they have played their last pro season, but nothing official and too early to know given when they signed last year. In general, if a player played last season and has yet to sign that alone does not indicate plan is for retirement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad