2013-14 Vancouver Giants thread

synobyte

Canucks Cultist
Mar 23, 2007
100 mile house
awesome game, i almost got my head taken off by a puck in the first after it whipped around the glass tho.. atleast i got to save the puck. any ways the guys who stood out for me... Alec Baer was a beast he is awesome at both ends of the ice and has speed to burn. Ronning also had a very good game, i was also unimpressed with Houck again and Eder is a slug the guy is useless...

Last edited:

member 116861

What a goal by Baer last night!

2 wins in a row. There is still a lot of work to be done but hopefully the Giants can get on a bit of a run.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
so far Benson hasent been noticeable at the western canada cup. i thought he would be leading the tourny in points

I couldn't find a stats sheet, but did read an article about Team Alberta's win. It did not mention Benson at all. Sam Steele was the hero of the tournament.

Not too worried. He's averaging over 2 points per game with the POE. Though I don't know how competitive the POE schedule is versus what the SSAC Lions Midget AAA team faces.

synobyte

Canucks Cultist
Mar 23, 2007
100 mile house
So with the giants looking to be buyers who do you guys propose we pick up. I'm thinking cole ully ans Matt needham from kamloops would be nice

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
So with the giants looking to be buyers who do you guys propose we pick up. I'm thinking cole ully ans Matt needham from kamloops would be nice

Those 2 guys would probably cost too much of the future and the Giants aren't that close to contending this year, a nice step but still a ways away.

Hordichuk_24

Pretty much zero chance Kamloops moves either player unless a team is willing to overpay. I don't see that happening.

I expect the Giants to be pretty quiet at the deadline. A couple of minor trades but that's about all. A few teams have been inquiring about Orban and Atwal but Bonner wants players in return and not more bantam picks so those discussions haven't gotten very far.

With Elson leaving the team and Lofthouse injured a trade isn't as necessary as it was previously now that there aren't so many healthy bodies sitting out on a nightly basis. One player I do think will be moved at some point is Ast. Whether that's by the trade deadline or during the off season we will have to wait and see.

Hordichuk_24

Is Brett Kulak showing some good NHL potential this season?

I've never been a big Kulak fan but he has been very good this year. I think the addition of Thrower has helped him tremendously. He has a lot more confidence and he's been playing with a bit of swagger. I used to joke about how soft he was but now he doesn't avoid contact and he's even dropped the mitts a few times this season. I still think his defensive game can improve but he seems to be heading in the right direction.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Giants aquire Dominik Volek (import) from Red Deer in exchange for a 4th round pick in 2015 and a 3rd round pick in 2016.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I really didn't expect the Giants to be big buyers. At the rate they're going now, solidfying their line-up and getting a solid playoff spot (ie not having to play Kelowa or Portland first round) would be sufficient. They're not yet at the level to be mortgaging their future.

Going to the game tomorrow, first game of the season for me (stupid work schedule). Playing PG so they shouldn't have too hard a time.

Last edited:

Hordichuk_24

I really didn't expect the Giants to be big buyers. At the rate they're going now, solidfying their line-up and getting a solid playoff spot (ie not having to play Kelowa or Portland first round) would be sufficient. They're not yet at the level to be mortgaging their future.

I don't know anybody expecting them to mortgage the future. They aren't real contenders this season so it would be foolish to do so. But Bonner has been on record saying he wants a potential top six 18 year old forward. The Giants do have enough draft picks to obtain that (and they will eventually trade some of those picks to acquire an asset like that). If not by today at some point during the off season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad