2013-14 Vancouver Giants thread

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Glad to see them get the split vs. Victoria. Hoping to get to the game vs. Everett on Friday.

Crossing my fingers Tvrdon gets sent back.

synobyte

Canucks Cultist
Mar 23, 2007
100 mile house
Atwal is just horrendous. Looks like another year at the bottom who's supposed to be the top eligible bantam draft players this year

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
how have the rookies looked so far?

It's going to be a long year without some veteran leadership and offensive skill up front, I had high hopes before the season but with a team so young confidence can be fragile.

member 116861

Any news on Dalton Thrower? Is he getting sent back to the Giants?

Oh_so_saad

Sep 18, 2012
Seattle
I drove up from everett to watch the game. They defimelty outhit everett.

Vancouver seemed to lack pressure on the forecheck and there seemed to be no real stand out talent on fowards with the exceptiin of houck. I believe ast got the powerplay goal with all the traffic in front of the net.

I had a great time the giants fan werent dicks like seattle fans

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I had a great time the giants fan werent dicks like seattle fans

We're generally well behaved. Unless you're a Rockets fan. ;)

Only time I had an issue with Silvertips fans was at the 07 Memorial Cup Final when they came up to cheer Medicine Hat. The beer lineups got interesting. :laugh: That said, I love going down to Everett for games. Awesome arena, fans are great.

synobyte

Canucks Cultist
Mar 23, 2007
100 mile house
Good thing we get thrower back! How did barberis look in his first game? I can't believe houck is a -8 this year already. I thought he would trend upwards

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Thrower was sent down by the Habs today and named Giants captain.

Still the growing pains look to be huge this year as their offense is and forwards seem non existent so far.

Looking up and down the roster who is going to lead this offense?

5 goals in 4 games isn't going to cut it.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Is Benson's midget season over yet? :sarcasm:

Seriously hoping the Giants are on the lookout for an academically challenged 19 year old about lose his NCAA scholarship. Another Pierro-Zabotel would do wonders. :laugh::help:

Last edited:

Oh_so_saad

Sep 18, 2012
Seattle
ill probably be making the trip again on the 25th. hopefully make a weekend staycation in the city with the wife.

Any reccomendations on bead and breakfasts or cool things to do?

Ive done standley park, grouse and seymour as well. Never really hung out in downtown

Oct 15, 2008
You should check out Granville Island and Robson St. They are linked by a bridge you can walk across or even better take the water taxi. Capilano suspension bridge is nice if you want more of a hike/nature experience. You can do all three in a day/night.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Blew a 1st period 3-0 lead to lose 4-3 in a shootout. Play Saskatoon tomorrow in a Battle of the Bad. Just going by the score sheet, but looks like PA completely outplayed them in the 2nd and 3rd. Shots were 19-4 and 11-6 respectively for PA. Rathjen got the start tonight.

WesternHockeyScout

Apr 29, 2011
I had high hopes before the season but with a team so young confidence can be fragile.

I listened to the game last night and the Giant play-by-play guy kept on beating this drum as well. Not sure why the Giants are being touted as young or inexperienced. They have a combined 11 players 19 and 20 years old, which is the second most vets in the WHL, second only to Seattle - which is another team that keeps getting called young/inexperienced. Regina would be the third team that has 11 or more 19 & 20 year old veterans. Those are the three most experienced, veteran laden clubs in the entire WHL.

Not to mention, Vancouvers vets are amongst the most experienced in the league. Three of them are working on their 5th WHL season and 4 others are playing in their 4th WHL season. All of them are at least into their 3rd season in this league. Not like Regina, where they have a lot of vets who are late to the WHL party. If you added up actual games played, Vancouver might well be the single most experienced team in the league.

WHL Veteran clubs - Most 19 & 20 Year Olds

1.) Seattle - 12
2.) Vancouver - 11
2.) Regina - 11
4.) Edmonton - 10
4.) Calgary -10
4.) Kelowna - 10
4.) Prince Albert - 10
8.) Victoria - 9
8.) Medicine Hat - 9
8.) Red Deer - 9
8.) Kamloops - 9
8.) Tri-City - 9
8.) Spokane - 9
8.) Portland - 9
15.) Moose Jaw - 8
15.) Everett - 8
15.) Brandon - 8
18.) Kootenay - 7
18.) Lethbridge - 7
20.) Prince George - 6
20.) Swift Current - 6
22.) Saskatoon - 5

Note: Reposted from WHL Season thread

Hordichuk_24

Just going by the score sheet, but looks like PA completely outplayed them in the 2nd and 3rd. Shots were 19-4 and 11-6 respectively for PA.

That was largely due to PA being on the PP for most of the second period. Some of those penalties were of the soft variety to put it lightly. I thought the officiating was just awful.

Regardless, blowing a three goal lead the way they did is unacceptable. If they can't hold onto a lead like that they don't deserve to win.

It's going to be another real long season....:help:

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
That was largely due to PA being on the PP for most of the second period. Some of those penalties were of the soft variety to put it lightly. I thought the officiating was just awful.

Regardless, blowing a three goal lead the way they did is unacceptable. If they can't hold onto a lead like that they don't deserve to win.

It's going to be another real long season....:help:

Hold on, wait till the injured vets come back, then things will get better, still have a bit more brutal schedule to get through though.

Hordichuk_24

Hold on, wait till the injured vets come back, then things will get better, still have a bit more brutal schedule to get through though.

Don't count on it. Nobody out of the line up due to injury is an impact player. Sward, McEvoy, Cooke, Trzonkowski are all grinders, role players at best. Stukel could be an impact player down the road but he's in the same boat as Ronning and Baer. A young player with upside and potential but shouldn't be relied upon to be an impact player just yet. The Giants did lose Franson on the road trip and obviously he's a huge part of their offense but he hasn't shown a heck of a lot so far when he was healthy. He and Houck have been huge disappointments.

I didn't expect the Giants to be contenders but I certainly didn't think they would be bottom dwellers once again. Unless something drastic changes that is exactly what they will be.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Trade Benson for Barzal!! We need help now! Not next year!! :rant: :sarcasm:

I've said it before, but at this rate, the Giants lose absolutely nothing trying to lure a kid away from an NCAA scholarship, or poach one alreay in the NCAA. It's worked for them in the past. They just can't go full Portland when doing it.

synobyte

Canucks Cultist
Mar 23, 2007
100 mile house
Nice win for the giants today. I'll be going to the Calgary game on Wednesday, to watch that under achieving virtanen lol. I was so high in him before. Has anyone seen how osipov has been doing??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad