2013-14 Training Camp

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
And these are the kinds of statements that can end up making people look like idiots.

Although yes I agree that he has a slim chance due to the forwards already up with the big club. I would also prefer he get more time in the AHL as well with Larsson.

So you agree with the statement, yet it makes me look like an idiot?

Let me revise it then. A very slim chance of him making the team, and there's nothing wrong with that considering his age. 2 years in the AHL is probably ideal for him.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Based on Rolston's comments that there will be roughly 3 full teams at the start of camp. I'm assuming there will be more players announced soon as training camp participants.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I was going to agree with Sabrefan27. But you are correct. There may be about a 1% chance that Girgensons makes the team out of training camp. The chance has more to do with injuries or trades than his performance in camp.

Also Rolston was on HH this morning. Peters seemed to spill the beans on one of the training camp lines:

Tropp McCormick Kaleta

Either this is going to be an all-waived line for Rochester or a lot of fans will be wrong.

Rolston seemed to avoid the question regarding Ennis. I read in to it that they want Ennis on wing. Anybody else hear?

Listening to RR's comments I don't think he was avoiding it. He kept emphasizing the versatility of many players and the amount of players battling for spots. I got the vibe that there aren't many set combos coming into camp and many different options may be tried. It seemed like he was leaning towards Ennis as a wing then made comments that made it seem like center wasn't ruled out. So who knows.

And Peters needs to shut up already. I know the lines, I know the lines but I wont tell. :shakehead

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
It's ridiculous to say he has no chance. He has at least a fair chance. I'm hoping he doesn't, though.

I think this an excerise in semantics. Sabrefan27 saying Girgs has no chance is not a far fetched opinion at all. You can disagree but its hardly a ridiculous opinion.

Last edited:

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Listening to RR's comments I don't think he was avoiding it. He kept emphasizing the versatility of many players and the amount of players battling for spots. I got the vibe that there aren't many set combos coming into camp and many different options may be tried. It seemed like he was leaning towards Ennis as a wing then made comments that made it seem like center wasn't ruled out. So who knows.

And Peters needs to shut up already. I know the lines, I know the lines but I wont tell. :shakehead

Maybe Ennis at center if Hodgson holds out or an injury. Wing otherwise.

I was thinking the same thing about Peters.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Those factors have 0 to do with him having a spot on the roster. He earned his spot last season with an excellent Q performance. His eligibility for free agency? That's not even close to a roster spot discussion. The reason hr has a spot on the roster (I mean besides the fact that he has a ton talent) is because the only other option the Sabres have is to send him to Quebec to play in a league he dominates under a brand new coaching staff, a less than ideal situation. If he played all of last season in the Q guess what, he's still in the same position this year. Grigorenko's roster spot has a vast percentage more to do with Cabadian junior rules than any other factor. You wanna be mad about "omg he shouldn't be free agent so soon," fine I can't stop you, but it has nothing to do with him not being allowed to go where he should be.

Sorry but the fact that he's not eligible for his contract sliding this year absolutely is a factor in where he's going to play. The Sabres are highly disincentivized to send him back to the Q, regardless of his play in camp, since he uses up a year of his ELC regardless.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=681863&navid=DL|BUF|home

But with success come expectations. Being drafted 12th overall and coming to a team like Buffalo that was looking for an offensive injection from a young star thrust Grigorenko in the spotlight. When he wasn’t able to create offense in the NHL like he did in junior, Grigorenko became frustrated. In many ways, last season served as a wake-up call for the 19-year-old.

“I think I became more of a grown player (last year). Maybe in my first year of juniors, I was playing more like a kid. I didn’t really care about small details like playing defensively and in a system, doing what coach wants you to do,†he explains. “Last year I became very good defensively, I was working a lot on my faceoffs. I probably didn’t improve that much on my offensive skills, but my work ethic is better than before. Now I realize that I need to work really hard, and play good defensively before I can have the puck and create something offensively.â€

It will be very interesting to see how he looks in camp...

MacOfNiagara

Feb 8, 2006
Ithaca
Rolston seemed to avoid the question regarding Ennis. I read in to it that they want Ennis on wing. Anybody else hear?

Havent heard a specific statement, but it seems the safe bet is him on the wing.

- We have a lack of top 6 offensive wingers
- We have solid depth of natural centers now, albiet young and still developing (Hodgson, Grigorenko, Girgensons, Larsson)
- Ennis has a better track record at wing than at center

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
What about Girgensons chances to make a first team?

Or even if could make the 3/4 line, maybe couches will decide to keep him in Rochester so he can get 1/2 line minutes and improve his offense?

They are going to be careful with him. they dont want to do what they did with Grigorenko last year by playing him on the 4th line. He has far more benfit playing 1st/2nd line minutes in Rochester this year.

He plays 9 games or less his contract slides to next year. I can see him being a mid season injury call up in December or January but they limit him to 9 games.

I see the roster has abattle among him and Armia, Larsson, Catenacci, and flynn for 2 roster spots on the 23 man roster.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Per Vogl, here's the camp schedule for the first few days; open to the public:
Thursday -- Session One: 8:45-9:45 a.m.; Session Two: 10-10:45 a.m.; Scrimmage: 11:15 a.m. to noon; Session Three: 12:15-1 p.m.

Friday -- Session One: 7:45-8:45 a.m.; Scrimmage: 9:15-10:30 a.m.

Saturday -- Session One: 8:45-9:45 a.m.; Session Two: 10-10:45 a.m.; Scrimmage: 11:15 a.m. to noon; Session Three: 12:15-1 p.m.

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
So you agree with the statement, yet it makes me look like an idiot?

Let me revise it then. A very slim chance of him making the team, and there's nothing wrong with that considering his age. 2 years in the AHL is probably ideal for him.

Edit: It doesn't matter. I shouldn't have continued in this meaningless argument. I'm sorry if any offense was taken. Let us all be friends!

Last edited:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Luke Adam is going to show up to camp, tell everyone he was just joking around the last 2 years and then win the Rocket Richard.

"This isn't even my final form!"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad