Speculation: 2013-14 Trade rumors and proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
TSN reports the #Sabres will trade Ryan Miller at the 1st opportunity they get, he will not be re-signed.

I'd like to trade for him. Lindback + for Miller. UFA after this season. He would be a great mentor for Bishop and tandem Bishop/Miller looks awesome.. but yeah, the price will be too high.

If Lindback can be the main piece, that would by stupid good for us. I don't like the idea of putting all the pressure on Bishop right now, at this rate, he'll be playing 70~ games a season.

Tampa Bay Kiwi

Apr 23, 2013
TSN reports the #Sabres will trade Ryan Miller at the 1st opportunity they get, he will not be re-signed.

I'd like to trade for him. Lindback + for Miller. UFA after this season. He would be a great mentor for Bishop and tandem Bishop/Miller looks awesome.. but yeah, the price will be too high.

I'd do this for sure. I'd even add if we had to. Would make us a better team and give Bish a great mentor.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
If Lindback can be the main piece, that would by stupid good for us. I don't like the idea of putting all the pressure on Bishop right now, at this rate, he'll be playing 70~ games a season.

Too bad Lindback hasn't looked good enough for him to be a centerpiece. I agree that Miller would be a great mentor/backup for Bish, and would make this team better, but its going to take a 1st for the discussion to even start. I'd rather see what a 1st and Connolly could bring on the market towards getting a top-4 defenseman for Hedman.

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
The Sabres are rebuilding, they would want picks and prospects.

Regardless what you want you should still take the best value available. They could still flip player like Purcell to picks and prospects. Hell, if some big names get injured at Olympics teams surely look for replacements and are willing to pay.

Not that I'd want Miller.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
Does no one want Malone for futures? With Kucherov, Conolly, and Drouin all fighting for a spot on the team, there is just no more room for Malone.

CarpeNoctem

Chilling w The Chief
Oct 29, 2013
In The Night
A Crazy Idea? (Let's trade one of Connolly or Drouin for help on D)

Ok, this isn't a result of panic after the NJ game. We have good depth up front and could likely move one of our top F prospects to get help on the back end. Obviously, I'd much prefer Connolly being moved to Drouin and we know JD will never get traded but what say ye? What could we potentially get for some of our forward prospects?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
rather move purcell

Rather move Connolly, obviously a drastic move like trading anyone of these guys means we're serious about competeting "now" rather than.

Connolly isn't even on the main roster, why downgrade our current depth?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Drouin's going nowhere. You have a possible team cornerstone type player there. With Connolly I don't know. Obviously he still has value and potential, while not being as nice and shiny as Drouin or Kucherov, but they've kept him this long. Something tells me they're not ready to trade him yet.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Drouin's going nowhere. You have a possible team cornerstone type player there. With Connolly I don't know. Obviously he still has value and potential, while not being as nice and shiny as Drouin or Kucherov, but they've kept him this long. Something tells me they're not ready to trade him yet.

I still see stamkos kucherov drouin as top line and connolly being our scorer finisher on second line.

I get teddy is here for 2-3 more years but he has more worth than connolly. If we make a move I want a good move a solid guy a top defender not some guy. I think that takes a teddy purcell or a ryan malone plus a very good prospect and a pick.

I think we can keep kucherov drouin and connolly and still make a move for a legit top D guy.

Just my thought process. I do not see Teddy as being here after his contract and I do see connolly taking his spot.

I still see connolly as highest scoring type of prospect we have besides drouin and kucherov. Meaning his potential is higher than killorn johnson all the rest. I keep connolly because of that. NOT SAYING I TRADE those others either. Unless I am getting weber or a top 10 d guy I do not see why we would have to move more than malone or purcell plus a decent prospect and up to a 2nd round pick.

I do not think we can get even a top 10 defender in first place so why get rid of someone with the potential of connolly?

Not pointing any of this at you 04:) Just replied to you cause I agree the kid is 6th overall pick and he doesnt have that much value right now no matter what people think.

Teddy Purcell has value, malone has less but is more than connolly probably right now.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
I agree with the original idea, but, see no realistic way it'll actually get executed.

I've thought this team needs to leverage its forward depth (even when we didn't have as much) to aggresively go after a defenseman better than any currently on the team ever since Boyle was sent packing. Now moreso than ever do I think this still applies. Excluding Stamkos and St. Louis, I'd move any forward in the system, plus balancing picks/prospects/cap necessities for another solid franchise type d-man to pair up with Hedman.

No other team is giving up their known quality franchise D for less than Stamkos.

Think up your most overpaying package that doesn't include Stamkos, St. Louis, or Hedman.
Offer it around for any of the true franchise defensemen we all covet.
Watch everybody tell you it's not enough in a thousand different ways.

Drouin+Vasilevski+2014 1st+???

Overpaying to us, not enough to everybody else. (no I wouldn't endorse giving up that much, just using as example)

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Our best bets right now would be trading with Pheonix or Nashville when it comes to D. I know we all know this, but its just becomes clearer and clearer by the day. We have what they need, they have what we need. Hopefully something happens where we can get a top 4 defenseman, because Nashville has at least 3 top 2 defensemen right now (Weber, Jones, Josi). Obviously Weber and Jones arent availible, but a guy like Josi might be.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Hadn't that much time the last week, so I wasn't able to post since I opened the thread :cry:.

I start to belief we don't actually will need a #2 defender after Salo. I think our system is heading into a very very balanced direction. So we aint play 1 defender 25min a night, while a other is playing 13 or 15. More so all 6 playing right around 20min.
We already have Carle, Hedman, Gudas and Sustr (next season at latest) that are considerd top4 defenders around the league. Salo obviously is as well, but I expect him to retire after the season.
Brewer is still a capable defender (he shows it under Cooper obviously) and I am absolutly okay having him as #6. So that would left 1 spot open for next season, that should be filled by an as good defender as possible, but I don't actually see the need of him being a #2.

Carle-Gudas is a decent pairing IMO and should stay as this, facing the 2nd and 3rd lines constantly.
I am happy with Sustr-Brewer as bottom pairing (still playing around 18min a night in my "plan", playing against the 3rd and 4th lines.
So we need a partner for Hedman (wow, what a new idea:sarcasm:), but I don't see the need for that guy being Edler esque qualtiy, more so being the right type (aka the Gudas for Carle type player). And I don't see us having the valueable pieces to get a top pairing D anyways. The players we are willing to give up aren't exactly high value guys. And quality for quantity ain't work.

Will be interesting to see who gets moved. I doubt Malone will be traded and if he gets placed in the bottom 6 longterm we will love him. He is a great player, with a bad contract and a workload that was okay for him in his prime and 2/2,5m overpayed for the role he is able to handle. And he wouldn't fetch us a good return anyways.

So this really leaves us with Purcell, Connolly and IMO Panik. I belief Erne will overflow Panik fast and is the more complete physical presence anyways.
And I guy I don't see having a future in the long run with us is Johnson. Sounds crazy? Right now for sure. But 1 or 2 years from now, we have Namestnikov ready and I absolutly expect Namestnikov to get far better than Johnson. So in the longrun I belief Vladdy will be our 3rd line center.

But back to the defense thing before I start making a Robertesque post :naughty:, but maybe it's to late anyways.

So now a list of the guys I would try to go after if I was SY:
-Jonathan Ericsson (DET), might be hard to get as the teams don't make that great trade partners
-Dan Girardi (was talked about a lot anyways)
-Justin Braun (SJS), doubt they are willing to trade.
-Carle Alzner (WSH)
-Kevin Klein (NSH)
-Roman Josi (NSH)
-MAYBE Nikita Nikitin (CBJ), should have no problem getting him, as CBJ wants offense
-Trevor Daley
-Johnny Boychuck
-Fedor Tyutin (CBJ)
-Zbynek Michalek (PHX)
-Dan Hamhuis (VAN)
-John Carlson (WSH)

I am not sure how consistent all those guys are and obviously some would be better than others and some are close to untouchable, but some of the could really help us going forward AND might be available.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
Malone + Connolly + ? (Pick/Prospect) for Hertl.

What would it take?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad