2013-14 Schedule Thread (EDIT: new forum alignment is here!)

Jorge

Actor,Comedian,Drunk
Jan 11, 2011
Clintonville
Just a note, firstrow streams generally are good audio and bad video or good video and bad audio.

Also seemed like bad everything by the end of April, but the price was right and got the woman and I through the season. Wish I had a little more coin for Center Ice!

In other news, the Big Ten league office issued a statement congratulating Bettman and gang on the naming of the Metropolitan Division. :shakehead Worst ------- name since To Wong Foo Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar.

Very excited for the season, and looking forward to hating our new division rivals and their stupid fans. I think I'll go ahead and hate the Penguins the most to start. Too many ex-CBJ playing in the Garden and the Flyers were dumb enough to get us a goalie AND take Mase of our hands, Pittsburgh it is! :nod:

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
I would have gone with HOF COACHES names like: Arbor, Bowman, Nielson and Brooks. Then I'd add a twist - division names would be RETIRED after 10 seasons - stoking debate about which coach should have a division named after him next.

Pretty creative, Lee. I was toying with ideas today and thought it would be cool to focus on teams of the past, rather than individuals. Specifically, teams that won a Cup but no longer exist. I posted this on the mains, but it was mostly met with silence. Doesn't matter as the names won't change, but I thought it was a different take in that I'm proposing that Metropolitan is the only division name to remain with these changes:

Here's an excerpt from my post on the mains:

Current Atlantic Division becomes the Maroon Division
This honors the Montreal Maroons which is the only former NHL team that won a cup and currently doesn't have a team by the same name in the NHL. For those of you who think this is biased to the Canadiens, keep in mind that this team was an anglophone-centric team that was rival to the francophone-centric Habs. This division is appropriate for this division because 5 of the franchises here played against the Maroons (Habs, Leafs, Wings, Bruins, Senators) back in the day.

Current Metropolitan Division remains the Metropolitan Division
This honors the Seattle Metropolitans who were the first American team to win the Cup. This is the only division in the league that has only American-based teams so it fits here.

Current Central Division becomes the Thistle Division.
This recognizes the Kenora Thistles who won the cup in 1907. It pays homage to the original days of the Cup when it was a challenge-based cup. It also recognizes the smallest city in terms of population to win the cup, and this town is pretty darn close to the geographic center of North America.

Current Pacific Division becomes the Victorian Division
Three different teams won the Cup with Victoria in their name - Victoria Cougars, Winnipeg Victorias and Montreal Victorias, so this division pays homage to the winning heritage of that name, along with the royal roots (Governor General-donated) of the Cup by recognizing Queen Victoria. The Victoria Cougars were the last non-NHL team to win the Cup and the last West Coast team to win the cup until recently (Anaheim, LA) so it is a reasonable fit for this division.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC

Current Atlantic Division becomes the Maroon Division
This honors the Montreal Maroons which is the only former NHL team that won a cup and currently doesn't have a team by the same name in the NHL. For those of you who think this is biased to the Canadiens, keep in mind that this team was an anglophone-centric team that was rival to the francophone-centric Habs. This division is appropriate for this division because 5 of the franchises here played against the Maroons (Habs, Leafs, Wings, Bruins, Senators) back in the day.

Current Metropolitan Division remains the Metropolitan Division
This honors the Seattle Metropolitans who were the first American team to win the Cup. This is the only division in the league that has only American-based teams so it fits here.

Current Central Division becomes the Thistle Division.
This recognizes the Kenora Thistles who won the cup in 1907. It pays homage to the original days of the Cup when it was a challenge-based cup. It also recognizes the smallest city in terms of population to win the cup, and this town is pretty darn close to the geographic center of North America.

Current Pacific Division becomes the Victorian Division
Three different teams won the Cup with Victoria in their name - Victoria Cougars, Winnipeg Victorias and Montreal Victorias, so this division pays homage to the winning heritage of that name, along with the royal roots (Governor General-donated) of the Cup by recognizing Queen Victoria. The Victoria Cougars were the last non-NHL team to win the Cup and the last West Coast team to win the cup until recently (Anaheim, LA) so it is a reasonable fit for this division.

That is the most interesting and creative proposal I've seen on the topic, Nana, too bad it didn't receive attention before the decision was made by the league. Too late, now, I'm afraid!

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
As others have said the only thing that bothers me about the schedule is the lack of possible road trips but I'll still figure out how to get one in to where I'd like to go.

I think the schedule is a favorable one. They have a few more games on the road at the beginning but they know they need to get off to a good start and they are going to be as fresh as ever. Both west coast trips come after we play stretches of 9 of 12 games at home. The second one is just before the Olympic break and they can leave it all on the ice.

I thought the back to backs might hurt but it seems to be a little more than average so the schedule is very manageable.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Pretty creative, Lee. I was toying with ideas today and thought it would be cool to focus on teams of the past, rather than individuals. Specifically, teams that won a Cup but no longer exist. I posted this on the mains, but it was mostly met with silence. Doesn't matter as the names won't change, but I thought it was a different take in that I'm proposing that Metropolitan is the only division name to remain with these changes:

I wanna play in the Nordique Division :sarcasm:

deetman

Oct 31, 2009
Philadelphia
I kinda feel like Boomer needs a monacle now.

Did someone say monocle? CLASSY!

kmYPuA3.png

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Anyone else looking forward to the Nov. 7th visit from Nash and the Rangers? I don't know what emotions will be brought out, probably a whole lot of everything.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Anyone else looking forward to the Nov. 7th visit from Nash and the Rangers? I don't know what emotions will be brought out, probably a whole lot of everything.

The only Blue Jacket I plan on booing then is Dorsett. I found his tendency to take crappy minor penalties at bad times to be the worst.

I don't plan on booing Nash. I won't cheer for him either during the inevitable standing ovation at the first tv timeout either. He put in his time here and I can't blame him for wanting out. But on the other hand, he wanted out. Not even Carter did that. I also found his comments about "making the team better by trading me" to be insufferable, even though it ended up being 100% true. Just say you're sick of the losing and nobody would have blamed him.

I liked Brass and appreciate that he stuck around as long as he did. Surprised he didn't demand out after the Arniel fiasco.

No feelings either way towards Moore.

FlaggerX

Mar 21, 2008
Columbus
I won't boo any of them Dorsett did take some lousy penalites but no one can argue he didn't leave it all out there on the ice. He was a fine player for once and I'll cheer them at the introductions. Nash left us with some dignity. Moore and Brass were traded. Stralman irrelevant.

But I damn well hope that we're the team exchanging hugs after the final horn sounds. And I'll cheer to help that happen.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I won't boo any of them Dorsett did take some lousy penalites but no one can argue he didn't leave it all out there on the ice. He was a fine player for once and I'll cheer them at the introductions. Nash left us with some dignity. Moore and Brass were traded. Stralman irrelevant.

But I damn well hope that we're the team exchanging hugs after the final horn sounds. And I'll cheer to help that happen.

Well said.

CBJSprague24

"Scoreboard, son."
Oct 11, 2007
52mi from the Nat
NHL still fails at getting me a CBJ/Lightning game IN Tampa in late Nov/early Dec or mid-March. :(

Second time in three years the two will play in December, but in COLUMBUS. At least it'll be on TV.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio

I won't be booing Dorsett because he'll be taking stupid penalties at the worst time for our opponent - thus helping the CBJ. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad