Prospect Info: 2013-14 Sabres Prospect Repository - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I bought the AHL streaming package and watched the Americans playoff drive and playoffs. Makarov played great displaying a very entertaining throwback style of goaltending.

Goalies are like running backs in the NFL, they can come from anywhere and star in the big leagues.

He was a major factor in the Amerks playoff push. That's for sure. New goalies can come in and shine since players haven't figured them out. We'll see how he performs this year.

Makarov was highly touted around here a couple years ago, but Ullmark (sp?) took some of his fire. I'm still high on the kid. Much more so than Hackett.

Last edited:

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
I bought the AHL streaming package and watched the Americans playoff drive and playoffs. Makarov played great displaying a very entertaining throwback style of goaltending.

Goalies are like running backs in the NFL, they can come from anywhere and star in the big leagues.

I agree. I like watching goalies that, y'know, move. Hackett has a bit of that old-school style too.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
I'm a little surprised people aren't higher on Lieuwen. He played better than Makarov much of the year. There were stretches last season when he was amongst the best goalies in the AHL. And he's huge. The concussions are a concern obviously.

Makarov's play for much of the year is hard, if not impossible, for most of us to assess. He spent all but the end of the year in the ECHL where not a whole lot of people got to see him. Even checking his statline doesn't necessarily give us a whole lot considering we're talking about a significantly weaker league.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
Makarov's play for much of the year is hard, if not impossible, for most of us to assess. He spent all but the end of the year in the ECHL where not a whole lot of people got to see him. Even checking his statline doesn't necessarily give us a whole lot considering we're talking about a significantly weaker league.

The point was people seem to be high on Makarov off a month of solid play in the AHL, whereas Lieuwen strung together 3 solid months yet appears to be something of an afterthought.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
The point was people seem to be high on Makarov off a month of solid play in the AHL, whereas Lieuwen strung together 3 solid months yet appears to be something of an afterthought.

Bah. I was high on Makarov before he even suited up for the Amerks.

ZeroPT*

I've been a Makarov fan since the World junior final in Calgary a few years back.

He was also in the memorial cup with the Blades and was awesome

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm a little surprised people aren't higher on Lieuwen. He played better than Makarov much of the year. There were stretches last season when he was amongst the best goalies in the AHL. And he's huge. The concussions are a concern obviously.

Lieuwen is the better AHL goalie, but we've seen time and again that factors only a modest amount into who will be the better NHL goalie. I see higher upside in Makarov.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
Fair enough. I just find the general lack of enthusiasm for Lieuwen a bit odd. He's huge, cool as a cucumber in the net, and made enormous strides in his first full pro season.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Fair enough. I just find the general lack of enthusiasm for Lieuwen a bit odd. He's huge, cool as a cucumber in the net, and made enormous strides in his first full pro season.

He's also been excellent for us in Traverse City twice now. Not a huge deal but something in his favor. Like I said in my first comment on the goalies, I'm never gonna count Lieuwen out again. I think he'll carve out a very good pro career whether or not it's in the NHL. With the crapshoot nature of goaltenders, I simply side with Makarov's higher upside as I see it. Lieuwen's the steadier player and prospect.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Makarov is inconsistent, but when he's on, he looks like a tremendous prospect. Lieu has some limitations in his game from what I've seen. Both have some NHL upside, but Makarov's is higher.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012

Lieuwen has wonderfully progressed since his first year as pro. Makarov needs to do the same.

It was also Makki's first year as a pro. Should we compare his stats to Lieuwen's first year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad