Prospect Info: 2013-14 Sabres Prospect Repository - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

B U F F A L O

Dec 30, 2013
Grigorenko didnt put up any points in the playoffs, but I thought his game looked really good elsewhere. He seemed to have made progressions in the areas he needed to be working on. Solid backchecking, good defensive zone play, great outlet passing, and carrying play up ice.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Hackett re-signed. 1year. 2-way.

$750,750

$67,500 AHL, same as last year.

capgeek.com

Last edited:

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Replay of the Union-Minnesota NCAA Championship game (Gostisbehere's +7 game) right now 7/6 9:00pm EST on ESPNU, for you Fasching watchers.

TimMcClure*

'’12 second-round pick Jake McCabe both lack classic builds'

How is a 20 year old at 6'1" and 205 lbs lacking in build? McCabe looks like a man to me.

When we drafted Catennacci I thought he was a sleeper and would make the NHL and be a 20 goal speed player.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

'’12 second-round pick Jake McCabe both lack classic builds'

How is a 20 year old at 6'1" and 205 lbs lacking in build? McCabe looks like a man to me.

When we drafted Catennacci I thought he was a sleeper and would make the NHL and be a 20 goal speed player.

Thats below average size for an NHL D man. Not by very much though.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Hey guys, maybe you spotted me in the Reinhart thread wondering about your goalies already but I didn't realize Ullmark was doing so well. Where do you see his ceiling and what do you think about him and your other goalies?

Bps21*

Goalies are always crapshoots. Way I see it they're just taking a bunch of shots at it. Ullmark is the one I think will be the guy. Makarov had a fantastic run when he got to Rochester at the end of the season. Shined bright in a tough spot. Hackett and lieuwin I'm not high on but you don't know until you know I guess. Then they drafted a kid I know nothing about and neuvirth and enroth are entering their primes with a lot of unknowns there too. I'd guess one of the 7 will be good enough. Goalies are overrated. Spend your money on guys who will keep the puck.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Hey guys, maybe you spotted me in the Reinhart thread wondering about your goalies already but I didn't realize Ullmark was doing so well. Where do you see his ceiling and what do you think about him and your other goalies?

I think Ullmark's ceiling is NHL starter. When it comes to goalies I mostly just project their ceilings and/or likely outcome as "starter, NHLer, borderline NHLer". I guess I could say I think his ceiling is maybe an above-average starter. He's the best goalie in our system imo. Not only was he the goalie of the year in the SHL as a 20 year old rookie, but the previous season he was goalie of the year in Swedish juniors.

Cal Petersen was arguably the best goalie in the USHL this past season and is going on to Notre Dame this next season. Having seen him in person in dev camp last year, his abilities are very high and there's definitely NHL starter talent there. He's too raw to even start guessing whether he'll get there or not, but he's very impressive in video as well. It's not inconceivable that he'll make a big name for himself in college a la Miller. The talent is there.

Makarov (ECHL/AHL last year) also has a lot of natural talent but needs to work on his technique, rebound control, etc. I'd say he has the talent to be an NHL starter and big game goalie, not to say he'll reach it. He has a history of carrying teams when he's hot, but has consistency issues.

I do not feel optimistic about Hackett and Lieuwen being NHL goalies, especially as solidified starters. Lieuwen has the earmarks of a battler, though. I counted him out last year and then he stole the starting job in Rochester from Hackett. Now, Hackett was playing terribly, which opened the door for Lieuwen, but Lieuwen played exceptionally well with that opportunity. Hackett seems like he might not have his head on straight enough to deal with the adversity he's going to face to become a legit NHLer. If he doesn't make it, he might flame right out of the minors. Lieuwen I think will carve out a quality career for himself even if it's not in the NHL, but I won't count him out. He might become a solid back-up one day.

There's also Jonas Johansson who we just drafted in the 3rd round out of Sweden. He was very highly rated by some outlets, so though I haven't seen him, it's likely that he'll put himself in with those first three guys as potential future goalies in our organization.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

Rille

Jan 22, 2011
Örnsköldsvik

I have no clue about the other goalies but I know Ullmark well. He should be rookie of the rookie of the year title last year but the federation ****ed up their nominees’ and didn’t know their own rules so it was not possible to vote for him. I will say that I had never seen a young goalie perform so well in SHL since Lundqvist or maybe Markström. Off ice he is very cool and will never stress up and he is very serious about his traning. When he was 16 he was just reserve to the junior team but the other goalie decided to leave the team one month into the season so eventually he got a roster spot. He is a small town boy and in his spare time he likes to be in the nature and go fishing so I guess he will fit Buffalo perfect. If he continues to develop I think he can be a starter in NHL in a couple of years. I will say that his strength is his mental and position game but he can improve his game around the crease.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
I'm a little surprised people aren't higher on Lieuwen. He played better than Makarov much of the year. There were stretches last season when he was amongst the best goalies in the AHL. And he's huge. The concussions are a concern obviously.

TimMcClure*

I bought the AHL streaming package and watched the Americans playoff drive and playoffs. Makarov played great displaying a very entertaining throwback style of goaltending.

Goalies are like running backs in the NFL, they can come from anywhere and star in the big leagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad