GDT: 2013/14 Out of Town PLAYOFFS - Stan Chistov Lucky #13 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Krejci*

Sharks fan in peace.

Right now our fans is freaking out massively right now. Everyone is pessimistic and the sky was falling. Bruin fans, what was your reaction in 2010 when you won the first three and lost the next three against Philly? What was your reaction heading out of game 6 and into game 7? Were you guys ******** your pants like we are right now? Because I am absolutely petrified right now and am just wondering if our reaction is appropriate for the situation.
Going into it, I remember still being positive.

Then we went up 3-0 in the 1st period and my friends and I started looking at ECF ticket prices (do not do this).

Then they scored on that fluuuuuuukey ass goal by JVR to make it 3-1 at the end of the first, and I just knew. I didn't say anything, but I knew in my heart that there was a good chance they were going to blow it. Then that flukey ass goal from Briere, and I really knew we had no shot.

It sucked, but my rationale was if they were going to blow a lead like that, have a collapse like that, even with their myriad of injuries, they didn't deserve to be there in the first place anyway. That was not a Cup caliber team. For me the loss to the inferior Hurricanes the year before was worse, I felt like that was a potential Cup contender at the time.

I will say though, sweeping the Flyers, and then finishing it by winning the Cup the very next year, completely erased it. It caused the Flyers to completely blow up their core, which was a bad move in my mind. Ask the Flyers fans if they'd like to swap roles with us, have them have the collapse but win the Cup the next year vs having that comeback and not winning anything. They'd take that trade 101/100 times.

ThomasJ13

Sep 22, 2006
Good atmosphere for Game 7 early on the pink hats got priced out. The building was crazy it helped us get that big lead we blew. Third period was quiet however I think a lot of people knew what was coming.

But that year the East was weird. Us, Philly, the Rangers, and Montreal all sucked and barely deserved to make the playoffs. We couldn't score in a brothel. We were the 6 seed. Montreal had won 2 series by the time that game was played and we were a terrible team who would have been hosting the ECFs since we had a better record than them. Philly beat them.

So basically we'd have gotten the crap kicked out of us by Chicago if we got by the Habs it wasn't our year at all that we did that. And choking in the second round is nowhere near as bad as the first.

Yeah, that Bruins team was so offensively challenged and mediocre (Trent Whitfield, Matt Hunwick, & Steve Begin anyone?), that I'm pretty sure that Halak and that crappy Habs team would have beaten them in the ECF, giving them a berth in the cup final (ugh). The Bruins had no business even winning 3 games in that series against Philly to begin with. They were second to last in goals in the entire league that year.

By contrast, the Sharks are an elite team who should challenge for the cup if they get through this series. I think they'll step up in game 7, but if they don't that Sharks fan kid who had that meltdown documented on Youtube a few years back will be on suicide watch.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Man I hate thinking about that Yers collapse. The loss was on my birthday (Bruinsndont win on my birthday in the playoffs but that was a game that counted for something).

I think losing Krejci hurt more than I realized at the time-probably because it was so exciting to see Savard playing again although that Savard was a shell of his pre concussion Savard.

I remember my daughter and I were sad for days-I actually think I was more upset at that loss than the 2013 Cup loss (it lessened the sting having won a cup in 2011).

I do think the players learned from that loss and it made them stronger in 2011.

Sharks are a good team but they are also playing a very good team.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Where the hell does San Jose go from here if they lose this thing? Gotta think it's the end of the line for Jumbo Joe, no?

Maybe-I think you have to make some roster changes or you go for coach/GM/some other FO changes

It doesn't have to be major-if it was me I might look at changing goaltenders but #1 goalies don't grow on trees and that kind of change might cost. Miller will be available but he just s%^# the ice himself.

A few tweaks to change things up might do it.

My gut says Sharks may figure it out this time and win the game 7. They looked so together those first three games I really thought the series would end in 5.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Sharks fan in peace.

Right now our fans is freaking out massively right now. Everyone is pessimistic and the sky was falling. Bruin fans, what was your reaction in 2010 when you won the first three and lost the next three against Philly? What was your reaction heading out of game 6 and into game 7? Were you guys ******** your pants like we are right now? Because I am absolutely petrified right now and am just wondering if our reaction is appropriate for the situation.

Well, I think the sharks will win, the odds of it happening are extremely slim

That said, you should be freaking out. The bruins had an abysmal season and had a rag tag team with one somewhat effective line. The sharks are a leaps and bounds better team at this juncture, it would be inexcusable to the nth degree for them to lose game 7...so buckle up

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
I have the feeling the Kings are going to win this series. The Kings have the experience and there is something about Carter and Richards being on that team right now. The confidence they will spread about taking the 7th game having been there before is going to be big.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
The hilarious thing is that the Kings got the two guys who engineered Philly's comeback in 2010.

Remember how people were saying how Mike Richards was done? Watch him explode tomorrow night. Poetic justice.

Someone told the Sharks it never rains in Southern California. But it pours. Man it pours.

And for reference, i knew that Philly series was over the moment we lost Krejci in game 5. That team was horribly already offensively (A top line of Satan/Krejci/Ryder? Really?) and losing Krejci was finally the breaking point.

Last edited:

member 96824

The hilarious thing is that the Kings got the two guys who engineered Philly's comeback in 2010.

Remember how people were saying how Mike Richards was done? Watch him explode tomorrow night. Poetic justice.

Someone told the Sharks it never rains in Southern California. But it pours. Man it pours.

And for reference, i knew that Philly series was over the moment we lost Krejci in game 5. That team was horribly already offensively (A top line of Satan/Krejci/Ryder? Really?) and losing Krejci was finally the breaking point.

We lost him in game 3...one that we won.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Struggling to find it, but I once read that teams that blow a 3-0 lead have a better winning percentage in Game 7 than teams that are up 3-0 have in Game 4.

In 2011, didn't Chicago come back from 3-0 down to Vancouver, tie it up late in Game 7 with a shorthanded goal, and still lose in OT?

And that was the same year Detroit came back from 3-0 down on San Jose, and San Jose easily won that game 7.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

well, he`s compiled a whopping 1 assist, I suppose when the bar is set that low, him "exploding" really wouldn`t be difficult:sarcasm:

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
if the sharks lose game 7 the team pretty much has to be gutted by a different gm, doesn't it?

They'll have to just accept this group is never going to break through. I'd imagine the coach is definitely gone, with the GM 50/50 to stay.

Nope, the game is too fast. That's the real cause.

I think the two ref system is the cause of more problems, and I originally liked it.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
We lost him in game 3...one that we won.

We also lost Sturm (think is was game 2 or maybe that game).

I am often amazed at how much that team actually accomplished. The back end was a mess with injuries and the forward depth was being tested. It was a team with some talented players but mostly taped together and rather rag tag.

I think by the end of the series Paille was skating in the top 6 and our delay centers were Whitfield and Begin. Bergeron was the only healthy center because we all know in hindsight that Savard shouldn't have been playing.

member 96824

I think Sturm was game 1...but I don't fully remember

Either way yeah that forward group was pathetic and will always be in my mind at trade deadline day when everyone sings the "we don't need to add" hymn from the church of clode

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
I think Sturm was game 1...but I don't fully remember

Either way yeah that forward group was pathetic and will always be in my mind at trade deadline day when everyone sings the "we don't need to add" hymn from the church of clode

Well I also think the Bruins have a better forward group in Providence right now than they did then.

But the forwards we iced for games 4-7 were a hodge podge of NHL talent and Career AHLers.

I mean god forbid we lose a forward but Spooner and Koko are better than Begin or Whitfield. Although if we end up with Paille in the top 6 for the playoffs it is time to worry (I love Paille and he is one of my favorite Bruins but he shines best as a bottom 6 guy and a PKer).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad