GDT: 2013/14 Out of Town PLAYOFFS - Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minny Shinny

Dec 23, 2011
probably at the airport
Predictions.....................I had to submit my round 2 pick to my site, so here's the skinny (minus my diatribe because, lets face it, you aren't really that interested)

Bruins in 5 games; it won't even feel that close.
Pittsburgh in 7 games; I don't hardly even care. zzzzz. I wanted PHI/PIT

Minnesota in 7 games; homer vote, don't care. MIN net sitch worries me but I'm still solid.
Los Angeles in 7 games; Quick vs whatever ANA's net sitch is? Plus Ducks D is thinning out.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
I'm a Boston transplant to The Bay Area. I moved here in 2009 for work. I work in high tech and life has been great here aside from the traffic and Bruins games starting at 4:00 PM PST.

Thornton has spent the better part of 9 seasons here in San Jose and people here defend him to no end. Even now, the locals are defending him. The blame is getting leveled on coaching and Burns. "Thornton can only set up Burns so many times".k

It shocks me.
I'm 32 and most hockey fans here my age (and older) are transplants from New York (investors) or Boston (from the old 128 loop). And New York / Boston fans are killing him but the "locals" are just accepting it.

at this point, joe is what he is. i think it's a mistake of the sharks to expect anything different.

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
Ironically, people here are going to point to the Sharks collapse and automatically blame Thornton for it. To me, the bigger issue was how bad Joe Pavelski was during the last three games. He was terrible. On top of that, Thornton is a complimentary type of player based on his skill set, and will never be the man no matter how many people want or expect it from him. It's not his nature, it's not his game.

I'm sad for Joe, truly. He looked DESTROYED as a man could look, but he just doesn't get it. I don't hate Joe, it wasn't as if he asked out of here. I defended that guy after the trade. I had issues w/ his game, but wasn't sure if that was coaching, personnel around him, etc. I had thought we just didn't put enough winners around Joe, thought he was scapegoated a bit (that 05 team was an absolute disaster). That return? Ouch. But, it was all laid out for him in SJ from the get go.

Sadly, history has proven what many here, including KPD, said all along. He cannot, and does not elevate his game when it matters. He's not the guy you want wearing the C. And, not the guy you want on the ice when the chips are down.

Some think KPD ran him out of here, and unfairly rode the kid. I felt that way after the 04 pre-game 7 article. It felt like he was doing the job of the montreal media at the time. But in hindsight, he was doing his job. I don't think KPD is reveling in his own glory at Joe's failure right now. He's probably just like the rest of us, and pleased it's not our concern anymore. I had never read this until last night, pretty gracious and complimentary of Joe. He had plenty to write a/b in 2011 other than old news like JT, but went out of his way to give him credit where it was deserved.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey...ton_finally_emerges_as_more_than_average_joe/

You're absolutely right. Much of it is the game he plays, and his stubborn insistence on playing on the perimeter. This is a big man that can skate, physically win any battle he wants. Vision, reach, Joe knows how to rip a puck. He'd proven it. That guy could have been Lindros lite w/ his size and skill, what doesn't he have? But instead wants to play on the outside, make his passes, and that's IT!! What is missing from that toolbox is heart, will to win, willingness to do whatever it takes. It's just NOT there.

It's mind boggling. If that guy wanted to drive to the net there's almost nothing that could stop him. But, he doesn't, no where in his approach to the game whatsoever. Wants to be 99. Someone should have explained to Joe that in reality, 99 really wanted to be Gordie Howe. But he just physically couldn't play like Howe, and knew it. Joe? He really could have, but instead he is what he is. Little guy hockey in a big boy body.

Such a waste. But, it makes me appreciate the core and leadership we have here now we all take for granted from time to time. We finally got to watch winners lay it all on the line, probably none of them in Joe's league when it comes to natural skill.

David Krejci is a perfect example. Doesn't have Joe's size, certainly not his skating, nor the advantage of his ridiculous reach. Does it all on hockey IQ, heart, and desire. Because the kid just wants to win, and refuses to let his limitations stop him. Under promises, over delivers. Joe is the antithesis of that.

Sad.

member 96824

@DamoSpin: Florida GM Dale Tallon told PTS he is actively shopping the No. 1 pick in this summer's NHL draft. Not just accepting offers - shopping it.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I'm sad for Joe, truly. He looked DESTROYED as a man could look, but he just doesn't get it. I don't hate Joe, it wasn't as if he asked out of here. I defended that guy after the trade. I had issues w/ his game, but wasn't sure if that was coaching, personnel around him, etc. I had thought we just didn't put enough winners around Joe, thought he was scapegoated a bit (that 05 team was an absolute disaster). That return? Ouch. But, it was all laid out for him in SJ from the get go.

Sadly, history has proven what many here, including KPD, said all along. He cannot, and does not elevate his game when it matters. He's not the guy you want wearing the C. And, not the guy you want on the ice when the chips are down.

Some think KPD ran him out of here, and unfairly rode the kid. I felt that way after the 04 pre-game 7 article. It felt like he was doing the job of the montreal media at the time. But in hindsight, he was doing his job. I don't think KPD is reveling in his own glory at Joe's failure right now. He's probably just like the rest of us, and pleased it's not our concern anymore. I had never read this until last night, pretty gracious and complimentary of Joe. He had plenty to write a/b in 2011 other than old news like JT, but went out of his way to give him credit where it was deserved.

http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey...ton_finally_emerges_as_more_than_average_joe/

You're absolutely right. Much of it is the game he plays, and his stubborn insistence on playing on the perimeter. This is a big man that can skate, physically win any battle he wants. Vision, reach, Joe knows how to rip a puck. He'd proven it. That guy could have been Lindros lite w/ his size and skill, what doesn't he have? But instead wants to play on the outside, make his passes, and that's IT!! What is missing from that toolbox is heart, will to win, willingness to do whatever it takes. It's just NOT there.

It's mind boggling. If that guy wanted to drive to the net there's almost nothing that could stop him. But, he doesn't, no where in his approach to the game whatsoever. Wants to be 99. Someone should have explained to Joe that in reality, 99 really wanted to be Gordie Howe. But he just physically couldn't play like Howe, and knew it. Joe? He really could have, but instead he is what he is. Little guy hockey in a big boy body.

Such a waste. But, it makes me appreciate the core and leadership we have here now we all take for granted from time to time. We finally got to watch winners lay it all on the line, probably none of them in Joe's league when it comes to natural skill.

David Krejci is a perfect example. Doesn't have Joe's size, certainly not his skating, nor the advantage of his ridiculous reach. Does it all on hockey IQ, heart, and desire. Because the kid just wants to win, and refuses to let his limitations stop him. Under promises, over delivers. Joe is the antithesis of that.

Sad.

Sometimes I think God has a sense of humor in how he distributes his gifts. There are people who are supremely talented (in whatever field) but don't have the drive or desire to utilize those gifts to the fullest. Then there are those who have lesser talent, who manage to make themselves great. The rarest are those who combine both - that's when you get a Bobby Orr or a Wayne Gretzky, (or an Einstein or an Elizabeth I).

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Pittsburgh Playerhaters Ball: Tonight, 7:00 pm, ITT.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
In a couple of hours, one of the Rangers and the Penguins will be closer to the Conference final (and thus the Stanley Cup) than the Bruins... :cry::sarcasm:
Oh well. :laugh:

qc

Aug 23, 2011
michael-jackson-eating-popcorn-o.gif

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Nice to see Pittsburgh spent their break doing absolutely nothing to correct their flaws.

Hey Disco Dan. You're playing a team that actually knows how to punish mistakes. Take notes.

rkwittem

May 13, 2013
Fargo, ND
@DamoSpin: Florida GM Dale Tallon told PTS he is actively shopping the No. 1 pick in this summer's NHL draft. Not just accepting offers - shopping it.

Do we have a package that could snag that pick? I wouldn't mind seeing Subban's brother leave Boston. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad