GDT: 2013/14 Out of Town PLAYOFFS - Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Torts gone, too funny, there`s no reason that any self respecting organization with any hopes of being serious about a Cup hires this guy, shortest shelf life of any current coach, guy is beyond nausiating

member 96824

Torts gone, too funny, there`s no reason that any self respecting organization with any hopes of being serious about a Cup hires this guy, shortest shelf life of any current coach, guy is beyond nausiating

50937743_display_image.jpg

You had to know it was coming :laugh:

member 96824

Thx, Halak is ok, seems so inconsistent though

Yeah he's pretty mentally soft, but looked pretty good in his limited time in Wash. Not a bad pick up for the Islanders at all, pretty low risk.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
Not really surprised by the move........until the Isles start winning; I don't see many UFA players signing with them.

I figured someone like Niemi would've been a better option as I feel the Sharks will trade him now.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Not really surprised by the move........until the Isles start winning; I don't see many UFA players signing with them.

I figured someone like Niemi would've been a better option as I feel the Sharks will trade him now.

any way ya cut it, this has to be some of the worst goal tending I`ve seen in years in the post season...just awful

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Ironically, people here are going to point to the Sharks collapse and automatically blame Thornton for it. To me, the bigger issue was how bad Joe Pavelski was during the last three games. He was terrible. On top of that, Thornton is a complimentary type of player based on his skill set, and will never be the man no matter how many people want or expect it from him. It's not his nature, it's not his game.

In those 4 losses the tin man went 0-0-0 -6, nice showing from the captain.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
any way ya cut it, this has to be some of the worst goal tending I`ve seen in years in the post season...just awful

The drop off after the real top notch guys like Rask, Price and Quick is pretty sharp.

Lots of pretty good, borderline very good goalies, many of whom have failed to stick with a club for more than a year or two.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont

I agree to a certain degree because guys like Lehtonen, Niemi, Mason, Emery, Howard, Lindback, F.Anderson, Varlamov, Bobrovsky, Fleury aren't really known as legit #1 goalies. So I kinda expected to see some struggles from them, however if you look at Rask, Crawford, Quick (got things together after game 3), Lundqvist and to some extent Price; they did the job.

That's why you gotta like Chicago's and LA's chances in round 2. Bryzgalov will be lucky to win 1 game; while Anderson or Hiller will struggle again.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
In those 4 losses the tin man went 0-0-0 -6, nice showing from the captain.

Yup...just didn't show anything.

I remember when he was a Bruin and we'd always yell at him to drive the night. Last night was another example why I'd go crazy if he was still here.

He carries the puck over center, gains the blueline and instead skating straight with it into the zone, he stops and curls along the boards.

Good ole Joe

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I agree to a certain degree because guys like Lehtonen, Niemi, Mason, Emery, Howard, Lindback, F.Anderson, Varlamov, Bobrovsky, Fleury aren't really known as legit #1 goalies. So I kinda expected to see some struggles from them, however if you look at Rask, Crawford, Quick (got things together after game 3), Lundqvist and to some extent Price; they did the job.

That's why you gotta like Chicago's and LA's chances in round 2. Bryzgalov will be lucky to win 1 game; while Anderson or Hiller will struggle again.

but they are paid as #1`s

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Bad goaltenders can still get you a cup, i.e. Crawford, Niemi, Flleury. You just have to make sure you guy is part of the top 5 if you're going to spend big bucks on him, or even worse, trade for him or draft him with a high pick.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Bad goaltenders can still get you a cup, i.e. Crawford, Niemi, Flleury. You just have to make sure you guy is part of the top 5 if you're going to spend big bucks on him, or even worse, trade for him or draft him with a high pick.

You can, as the Red Wings proved multiple times with Osgood. (I wouldn't even say bad. Mediocre)

But ask Pittsburgh how it has worked out with Flower the past few seasons.
When you can't trust your guy back there to save your bacon every now and then, you can't play your game.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
You can, as the Red Wings proved multiple times with Osgood. (I wouldn't even say bad. Mediocre)

When you can't trust your guy back there to save your bacon every now and then, you can't play your game.

It wouldn't be that much of an issue if they paid him 2 m and signed a D who can play defense instead of having an Orpik-Fleury gong show in front of the net.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I`ll also disagree about Crawford being a bad goalie, he`s very good

8BostonRocker24

Feb 8, 2006
Silicon Valley
It's funny living here...

I'm a Boston transplant to The Bay Area. I moved here in 2009 for work. I work in high tech and life has been great here aside from the traffic and Bruins games starting at 4:00 PM PST.

Thornton has spent the better part of 9 seasons here in San Jose and people here defend him to no end. Even now, the locals are defending him. The blame is getting leveled on coaching and Burns. "Thornton can only set up Burns so many times".k

It shocks me.
I'm 32 and most hockey fans here my age (and older) are transplants from New York (investors) or Boston (from the old 128 loop). And New York / Boston fans are killing him but the "locals" are just accepting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad