GDT: 2013-14 NHL Awards

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
I would have gone with Varmalov. He had Zero defence and still managed to " give his team a chance to WIN"

You're tearing Rask apart for his playoff play, which isn't even part of what the award is about, but won't say a peep about Varlamov's postseason play? Defense or not he was downright bad.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
You're tearing Rask apart for his playoff play, which isn't even part of what the award is about, but won't say a peep about Varlamov's postseason play? Defense or not he was downright bad.

I get that this is an award for season play and has nothing to do with the playoffs but does that mean I have to like TUUKKA? I don't and I don't think I ever will .I also don't think we can win with this guy. If we look at the stats all Bruin goalies have put up since Rask has been with the team, I don't see how anyone can not see that anyone who has played on this team has put up very similar numbers, Watch next year with Svedberg, who also sucks by the way, I bet his stats will be similar to Tuukka as well. My point is granny could put up the stats any of these guys put up,with the system this team plays.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
Any Rask bashing is uncalled for and unwarranted. The guy had what I would consider 4 rookies (Krug, Bart, Miller, and Hamilton, who only had half a year of NHL experience prior to this season) playing in front of him for most of the year. What team has 4 kids in their top 6 for much of the year and compete for a top 4 spot in the conference? These guys won the President's freaking Trophy! Rask had a brief shaky period right around the time he got lit up by Vancouver but for most of the year he was very good and in certain stretches he was outstanding. If my memory serves me correctly, the Bruins weren't playing all that well in the early part of that hot streak they went on and it was Rask who saved the team's bacon on several occasions. Wasn't he the leader in GAA, SV%, and shutouts? If people want to knock him for his playoff performance they can but based on the regular season he deserves the hardware that he received tonight.

Congratulations to Rask on the Vezina
Congratulations to Bergy on his awards and the NHL15 cover
Congratulations to big Z. If "too old and slow" means he is the 2nd best Dman in the league that's alright with me. The job he and Boychuck did with that baby face blueline was fantastic.

Last edited:

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
I get that this is an award for season play and has nothing to do with the playoffs but does that mean I have to like TUUKKA? I don't and I don't think I ever will .I also don't think we can win with this guy. If we look at the stats all Bruin goalies have put up since Rask has been with the team, I don't see how anyone can not see that anyone who has played on this team has put up very similar numbers, Watch next year with Svedberg, who also sucks by the way, I bet his stats will be similar to Tuukka as well. My point is granny could put up the stats any of these guys put up,with the system this team plays.

Sure, "the system" may help goalies but, aside from the opener, Rask was a brick wall in the Olympics too.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore

Yikes. Not even going to bother.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
I thought it was a total ****** comment coming from a Habs fan who is hosting the show....Strombo is a weasel and Canada hockey fans have to listen to him now....:shakehead

I will never listen to that Habs homer Strombo, whenever his face appears on the telecast the station will be changed.

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Yep; and Finlands defense was nothing compared to the Bruins defense.

Not even full NHL defense but loook at the game against Canada or Quarters Against Russia.. Tuukka Rask deserves two Vezinas. Congratulations for Tuukka and the bruins fans who have common sense!

You (Finland or bruins) cant win it all if your team doesn't have elite offensive game going on, this is not soccer. It's not all about goalies, its just much about it. Tuukka is easily capable of winning stanley cups standing on he's head. Some bruins fans seem to be good old "blame the goalie" fans. You think there is so many better goalies in the league that it was goalies season? Jesus ****ing Christus... I would get if you had the Anaheim Ducks goalies. There's goalies that don't stand on their head..

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Bruins Tuukka Rask, Patrice Bergeron win top NHL awards

LAS VEGAS — The Bruins might not have taken home the hardware they wanted this season — that shiny Stanley Cup was shown off by the Los Angeles Kings on Tuesday — but they did manage to snag a few individual awards.

Those included the Vezina Trophy, won by Tuukka Rask as the league’s top goaltender, along with the Selke Trophy and NHL Foundation Players Award, both won by Patrice Bergeron at the Encore Theater at the Wynn. Zdeno Chara was the sole Bruin who came away empty-handed, finishing second in the Norris Trophy voting.

“It’s rewarding for the organization when these guys get these awards. You look at how the Kings won and they’ve got a lot of the same stuff,†general manager Peter Chiarelli said. “They’ve got some selfless guys that want to win, and we’re the same way. We try and find those players, we try and coach those players, develop those players. Tuukka, Bergy, Zee, they’re three of the most humble guys that you’ll know.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...rds-tuesday/ZBvr7MKo15TjIKK48YVKgI/story.html

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Congratulations to Patrice Bergeron & Tuukka Rask on winning the Selke & Vezina.

Bergeron's in particular was long over due.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm more proud of Bergy winning the Clancy last year and the NHL Foundation award this year. Shows that he is a world class person.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
He did win it 2 years ago, so not that long overdue

I was pissed Toews won last year. Kopitar was nearly equally as deserving as Bergeron this year and I wouldn't have been upset if he won it, but I don't think Toews had any business winning it last year. In that respect, I think it was overdue.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I was pissed Toews won last year. Kopitar was nearly equally as deserving as Bergeron this year and I wouldn't have been upset if he won it, but I don't think Toews had any business winning it last year. In that respect, I think it was overdue.

I agree. At least we can truthfully say Bergy got the most first place votes three years in a row.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
For some reason I feel as good about all these awards as when the Patriots won them in 2010 after going out to the Jets.

Do you think regular-season awards should only go to chamoionship teams?

Nobody - least of all Bergeron and Rask - is happier to win an NHL award rather than a Cup. But they're gracious enough to accept and appreciate the honors. I for one am proud of them and happy that they were recognized.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad