GDT: 2013-14 NHL Awards

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I agree, it's funny with Keith, he doesn't even play against top pairings. The award should really go to Big Z, he's easily still the best shutdown defensemen in the entire league. But Keith will probably win it.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
DALLAS — Dallas Stars forward Rich Peverley says he is working hard to return to the NHL ice after suffering a heart attack during a game three months ago.

The NHL revealed Wednesday that the 31-year-old hockey journeyman will present the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy at the NHL Awards Show in Las Vegas next week. The award goes to the player "who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey." It is named after the former the one-time center for the Minnesota North Stars, the Dallas Stars' predecessor, who collapsed on the ice during a game and died of a brain injury in 1968.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/brui...as_stars_forward_recovering_from_heart_attack

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
For easier viewing ;)

914388_317169848441370_58035924_n.jpg

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Judging from most PHWA blogs and such, they would've voted Varlamov if they had a vote. I don't know if this is a case of them trying to get more pageviews or just going against the clear favorite to try to act smart, or whatever

Hopefully the GM's are a little smarter/less arrogant

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Thanks, Ali. I'm just too technologically challenged. :(

Anyway, Tuukka's soundtrack:

Gold watch, diamond ring,
I ain't missin' not a single thing.
And cuff links, stick pin,
When I step out I'm gonna do you in.

They come runnin' just as fast as they can
'Cause every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man.

:)

Last edited:

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Rask and Bergeron should win. Rask and Varlamov are pretty tight, but I feel like Bergeron will win like he did in 2012, not even close, even though Kopitar is a really good nominee. Keith is going to run away with it.

Also, Bergeron should be the cover athlete for NHL 15. :)

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I saw one estimate in April that had Bergy in a landslide based on writers that had published their votes.

Remember this is voted on before the playoffs so Kopitar's great playoff won't help him

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
DALLAS — Dallas Stars forward Rich Peverley says he is working hard to return to the NHL ice after suffering a heart attack during a game three months ago.

The NHL revealed Wednesday that the 31-year-old hockey journeyman will present the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy at the NHL Awards Show in Las Vegas next week. The award goes to the player "who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey." It is named after the former the one-time center for the Minnesota North Stars, the Dallas Stars' predecessor, who collapsed on the ice during a game and died of a brain injury in 1968.

http://bostonherald.com/sports/brui...as_stars_forward_recovering_from_heart_attack

I hope all will be well with Pevs. Best wishes for him.

David Krejci*

Couldn't care less about any of these, I hate how they make it into some sort of big night. If I was a player and I was up for an award I wouldn't even go. No Cup no care.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Bergeron will win, Kopitar should win IMO. It's close, but if I had a vote, I'd give it to Anze.

I don't get the love for Varlamov honetly. Had a good season, but Vezina worthy over Rask and Bishop? Don't see it.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
Couldn't care less about any of these, I hate how they make it into some sort of big night. If I was a player and I was up for an award I wouldn't even go. No Cup no care.

Anything that justifies a trip to Vegas is a-okay in my book. :naughty:

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

It'd be pretty bizarre if the NHL was the only professional league in the world not to recognize standout performances.

And if you were a player who didn't show up without a good reason, you'd probably be regarded as a prima dona.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Judging from most PHWA blogs and such, they would've voted Varlamov if they had a vote. I don't know if this is a case of them trying to get more pageviews or just going against the clear favorite to try to act smart, or whatever

Hopefully the GM's are a little smarter/less arrogant

I'd have voted for Varlamov too. He had a hell of a lot tougher job than Rask playing behind Colorado's defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad