News Article: 2013-14 News & Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
Most of what they have (slideshows and stuff) is crap. They're starting to bring in some legitimate writers though, so who knows where they'll be as a site in a few years.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
So I never read bleacher report, and not really for any reason. But today I did. And I won't again. This is very possibly the least-informed "top 25" list ever. Am I wrong?

The whole Ovechkin doesn't backcheck thing is Pejorative Slured. His problem was being stagnant afterwards. I think he got rid of that and I think Craig Laughlin pointed it out a lot how Ovechkin was going down to the hash marks.

Specifically this kind of thing:

On top of that the whole faceoff thing in regards to the Sedins is stupid, those two are quite fine defensively.

Vladiator16*

The whole Ovechkin doesn't backcheck thing is Pejorative Slured. His problem was being stagnant afterwards. I think he got rid of that and I think Craig Laughlin pointed it out a lot how Ovechkin was going down to the hash marks.

Specifically this kind of thing:

On top of that the whole faceoff thing in regards to the Sedins is stupid, those two are quite fine defensively.

Agreed

BR sucks.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I don't understand why people don't understand Erat and Laich should be viewed as additions they both only played 18 games combined with the Caps.

Neither of which were part of the reason why the Caps made the playoffs.

Right. Not to mention we have alot of young key players who will improve. I think more so than some more veteran laden teams out there.

It would not shock me if we won the division. Pitt and Rangers are still very good but I'd like to see how Rangers look when not playing the 6 man goalie system.

I think Pitt will regret departing with Cooke and Kennedy who I think are highly underrated players. And there is a good chance MAF is absolutely shot in terms of confidence.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think that some dismiss laich and erat as additions because they don't think they bring much. right? a big chunk of posters here don't like laich at all and have been begging to see him traded. same group largely thought the trade for erat a disaster and don't see erat bringing much.

in other words they are additions that wont add much.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
People dismiss Erat and Laich as additions because they're relatively unimportant. The Caps major holes have been center and defense forever.

Kudos to McPhee for backing into a center solution, but there's still a gaping hole at 2LD (or 1LD, depending on configuration and how you feel about Alzner).

I don't think anyone would believe complementary wingers a more important piece than a strong defense in terms of competing for a Cup.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
People dismiss Erat and Laich as additions because they're relatively unimportant. The Caps major holes have been center and defense forever.

Kudos to McPhee for backing into a center solution, but there's still a gaping hole at 2LD (or 1LD, depending on configuration and how you feel about Alzner).

I don't think anyone would believe complementary wingers a more important piece than a strong defense in terms of competing for a Cup.

Salary cap can do that. No team is perfect. Have the Blackhawks really had a true #2 C in a while? Crawford is decent and so was Niemi but they defied convention by winning without probably THE most important positiion in the playoffs.

McPhee aggressively addressed the 2C position last year and was riduculed for letting Ribs walk while giving up 2 young assets for him.

Seemed to me he just patiently waited things out and got what he needed this time. Flyers are aggressive every FA period and how has that worked for them? How has being aggressive in FA in the past worked out for our Redskins?

Our roster isn't perfect but how are you so sure one of the D won't step up and claim that #2LD position? Are you sure Orlov cannot take a step? Erskine can't get "lucky" like he did during the regular season last year?

Either way losing Ribs+Hendricks sucks. Gaining Laich+Erat+Grabovski is a net benefit and makes our team much deeper. We had serious holes at LW last year when MJ and Laich were hurt and we hadn't had Erat.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I think that some dismiss laich and erat as additions because they don't think they bring much. right? a big chunk of posters here don't like laich at all and have been begging to see him traded. same group largely thought the trade for erat a disaster and don't see erat bringing much.

in other words they are additions that wont add much.

I for one am very excited about the additions of a guy coming back from a shredded groin and a guy coming off a 5 goal season.

They're big additions at the most important position in hockey.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Salary cap can do that. No team is perfect. Have the Blackhawks really had a true #2 C in a while? Crawford is decent and so was Niemi but they defied convention by winning without probably THE most important positiion in the playoffs.

McPhee aggressively addressed the 2C position last year and was riduculed for letting Ribs walk while giving up 2 young assets for him.

Seemed to me he just patiently waited things out and got what he needed this time. Flyers are aggressive every FA period and how has that worked for them? How has being aggressive in FA in the past worked out for our Redskins?

Our roster isn't perfect but how are you so sure one of the D won't step up and claim that #2LD position? Are you sure Orlov cannot take a step? Erskine can't get "lucky" like he did during the regular season last year?

Either way losing Ribs+Hendricks sucks. Gaining Laich+Erat+Grabovski is a net benefit and makes our team much deeper. We had serious holes at LW last year when MJ and Laich were hurt and we hadn't had Erat.
The thing is, salary cap didn't need to do that. They could have and should have used their cap space and assets on that top-4 LD. They be sitting very balanced right now if they'd done it.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I have very tenuous college sports allegiances so find it hard to care much. In a bowl game or a frozen four I can get pumped for Wisconsin but that's about it.

Yeah, I guess I've got an entirely different perspective going to a big football school. The atmosphere for a big game is like nothing else I've ever experienced.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Yeah, I guess I've got an entirely different perspective going to a big football school. The atmosphere for a big game is like nothing else I've ever experienced.

That atmosphere must be something else to distract you from the unwatchable lack of skill on the field.

I just can't get into collegiate basketball or football. The pro leagues are so much more competitive that it's like they're playing a different sport.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Before college, I loved NCAA football. Then I ended up not going to Virginia Tech (and going to a school that doesn't even have a football program), so I gradually cared less and less. I can still get excited for a game every now and then, but I don't have the emotional investment in a team anymore, which somehow also makes the consequences of games they don't even play in less meaningful to me. I do still think NCAA football is more enjoyable to watch than the NFL, but I have an NFL rooting interest and fantasy football to give me much more of a stake in games on Sunday.

As for basketball, I get excited around tournament time, but that's about it. Have absolutely no interest in the NBA aside of when LeBron loses.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Yeah, playoffs, championship tournaments, that kind of stuff I can enjoy—even basketball which I mostly think is a stupid game—but otherwise college sports, meh.

In general, football is just so slow. 9 minutes of action in a 3 hour game. The highlights can pretty much show you everything that happened.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Before college, I loved NCAA football. Then I ended up not going to Virginia Tech (and going to a school that doesn't even have a football program), so I gradually cared less and less. I can still get excited for a game every now and then, but I don't have the emotional investment in a team anymore, which somehow also makes the consequences of games they don't even play in less meaningful to me. I do still think NCAA football is more enjoyable to watch than the NFL, but I have an NFL rooting interest and fantasy football to give me much more of a stake in games on Sunday.

As for basketball, I get excited around tournament time, but that's about it. Have absolutely no interest in the NBA aside of when LeBron loses.

I went to Navy, and I love college football. I love watching our triple option, I love always being the underdog, and I love the fact that I was friends with a ton of our players (an experience you don't get at a big football factory).

My mom and brother went to UMD so I get my college basketball fix with them.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Yeah, playoffs, championship tournaments, that kind of stuff I can enjoy—even basketball which I mostly think is a stupid game—but otherwise college sports, meh.

In general, football is just so slow. 9 minutes of action in a 3 hour game. The highlights can pretty much show you everything that happened.

Sounds like someone needs to get red zone channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad