News Article: 2013-14 News & Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Right. That speaks to his scouting. I'm not sure what specific improvements we've seen in their play once actually in the NHL.

They usually aren't NHL caliber when drafted. A few years working on mechanics in Jr's/minors once drafted is where the NHL goalie coaches can start having an impact on things and oversee the stuff that need to be fixed to make the NHL.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
the penguins picking up Kolbe only proves that McPhee and Leonsis don't know talent when they see it. it further proves the lack of taste that caps fans have as they prefer anyone else other than jeff rimer.

:handclap:

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I listened to the main thing that they had to say. the caps made the playoffs because they played a lot games v the southeast. that was always the favorite argument against anything good capitals. even though much of that time the caps had a better record against the other east divisions than against the southeast.

the rest of that? yea, the caps have a great top 3(caps fans actually don't agree with that in general), they have a crappy 4d and the 3rd pair is average at best. I agree the caps need a 4d. its not doom because of that. no mention that the caps have great goaltending. they dismiss the caps offense as irrelevant. they sort of contradict themselves. they say the caps offense gets them in the playoffs but not anywhere in the playoffs and then says the offense is irrelevant to their regular season success.

Liberati0n*

it is. incredibly. which will explain why the caps win that division its first time out. the division sucks.

Hopefully the banner for winning the division will have a huge picture of Glen Metropolit's face as its background.

sldyer1

Nov 6, 2008

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
it is. incredibly. which will explain why the caps win that division its first time out. the division sucks.

I won't go as far as to say they'll win it, but I'd bet they finish top 3.

The Rags are a team built for Tortorella's system. Not sure how they'll adjust to Vigneault.

The Flyers were a bad team last season, and their two big off-season acquisitions were Ray Emery and Lecavalier. Emery is far from a solution in goal, the defense still sucks, and adding Lecavalier while losing Briere is likely close to a wash.

The Devils were a bad team that lost their best player. While they added some modest scoring depth in Clowe, Ryder and Jagr, they lack an elite scoring threat. Their goaltending should be improved, but who knows how Schneider will perform in front of that slow defense.

Columbus was a mediocre team, and added Horton.. Does anyone expect Bobrovsky to repeat his goaltending performance? I think it's a Ryan Miller 2009-10 anomaly.

Carolina was the worst of any team currently in the division, and added Sekera and Lindholm. They're not passing the Caps..

The Pens didn't address their goaltending. They did add Scuderi, which improves that defense, but they're a Dave Steckel shoulder away from being ordinary offensively.

I don't see one balanced team in the division. There's not even one that doesn't have major holes.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
if you just look at this next season from a regular season point of view, you sure can make a case that the caps can win. if the caps improve any at producing adam oates system, the caps are going to be tough. meanwhile the division has juggernauts like Carolina, Columbus, and NY Islanders. the devils without parise, kovalchuk and Clarkson are not scaring many.

one of those 4 teams might be really good if things come together, but who knows if that comes close to happening. meanwhile the rangers spent money on little improvement and the flyers still have big holes.

that leaves the penguins....who's their goalie now?

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
I don't understand why people don't understand Erat and Laich should be viewed as additions they both only played 18 games combined with the Caps.

Neither of which were part of the reason why the Caps made the playoffs.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
I wouldn't sleep on the Devils. They would have been formidable last season with competent goaltending, even with their lack of scoring talent. Kovalchuk is a big loss, but Ryder is a smart add (I question how much Jagr has left to give though). Schneider giving them ~best in the league goaltending is within the realm of possibility. Even with the lack of scoring talent I don't see them shooting below 7% at ES again next season. They could be surprisingly good.

I say all that, but I guess I don't see them as much of a threat to win the division either. But I don't know if anything would surprise me.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I won't go as far as to say they'll win it, but I'd bet they finish top 3.

The Rags are a team built for Tortorella's system. Not sure how they'll adjust to Vigneault.

The Flyers were a bad team last season, and their two big off-season acquisitions were Ray Emery and Lecavalier. Emery is far from a solution in goal, the defense still sucks, and adding Lecavalier while losing Briere is likely close to a wash.

The Devils were a bad team that lost their best player. While they added some modest scoring depth in Clowe, Ryder and Jagr, they lack an elite scoring threat. Their goaltending should be improved, but who knows how Schneider will perform in front of that slow defense.

Columbus was a mediocre team, and added Horton.. Does anyone expect Bobrovsky to repeat his goaltending performance? I think it's a Ryan Miller 2009-10 anomaly.

Carolina was the worst of any team currently in the division, and added Sekera and Lindholm. They're not passing the Caps..

The Pens didn't address their goaltending. They did add Scuderi, which improves that defense, but they're a Dave Steckel shoulder away from being ordinary offensively.

I don't see one balanced team in the division. There's not even one that doesn't have major holes.

Interesting and hard to argue. Except on the Canes. They were decimated by injury last year, especially on D and in goal, and I suspect are better than people think.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Interesting and hard to argue. Except on the Canes. They were decimated by injury last year, especially on D and in goal, and I suspect are better than people think.

Cam Ward really wasn't any better than Peters and Ellis.

The wild card with them is Staal. Skinner and him have on chemistry and they both were dreadful defensively last year.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

<insert> every HF board argument why x player should be over y player.

Only Orlov and Grubauer are the two that stand out as a bit higher compared to maybe a consensus. As we saw through the HF ranking polls several were overwhelming wins for a specific prospect and then hit one where all the votes scatter. And being a draftnik always enjoy different prospect rankings.

Personally I am really high on Orlov based on the season before last. Critical camp for him coming up after last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad