2013-14 Mid-Season Prospect Poll: #4

ZeroPT*

So...

I really like Larsson but the fact he has 4 more votes than the 2nd closest person for FOURTH best prospect in one of the deepest prospect pools in the league is hilariously wrong. He is not a better prospect than JT Compher, Jake McCabe and Joel Armia. Come on now. Same pack mentality that happened last year.

If we're basing this solely on potential Armia,McCabe and Computer would all be ahead of Larsson, however, at this stage of his developement, I truly believe Larsson has surpassed Armia and will have a greater impact, sooner than any of the other three. Armia has really fallen in my books, I was never really high on him in the first place (I was really hoping Baertschi or Scheifele would've been there but they were simply pipe dreams) and his recent struggles have amplified my opinion.
Ristolainen
Zadorov
Grigorenko
Larsson
Computer
McCabe
Armia

Still, being the #7 prospect in one of the deepest pools in the whole league is nothing to hiss at, still a great ranking imo.

EDIT: Am I the only one who thinks people may be jumping the gun with Ullmark a bit? I mean yeah, he's putting up video game numbers in one of the top 5 leagues in the world as a rookie but still, goalies are such a crap shoot that he could end up as the next lundqvist or a complete and utter bust, I feel much more comfortable projecting the aforementioned players than Ullmark, and would rather wait to start projecting him. Also, Petersen,Makarov and Ullmark is a fantastic trio of goalie prospects.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
So...

I really like Larsson but the fact he has 4 more votes than the 2nd closest person for FOURTH best prospect in one of the deepest prospect pools in the league is hilariously wrong. He is not a better prospect than JT Compher, Jake McCabe and Joel Armia. Come on now. Same pack mentality that happened last year.

:rolleyes:
wow, what a stunning argument...

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
EDIT: Am I the only one who thinks people may be jumping the gun with Ullmark a bit? I mean yeah, he's putting up video game numbers in one of the top 5 leagues in the world as a rookie but still, goalies are such a crap shoot that he could end up as the next lundqvist or a complete and utter bust, I feel much more comfortable projecting the aforementioned players than Ullmark, and would rather wait to start projecting him. Also, Petersen,Makarov and Ullmark is a fantastic trio of goalie prospects.
I dunno, I've always thought of Makarov taking over but Ullmark has really impressed me this year. Petersen is WAAAAY to early to even tell.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
let's talk about how larsson's offensive game has thus far translated to nhl play

it should be a short conversation

+15.4 relative corsi while starting 60% in the d zone

Among forwards, he was the best puck possession player on the team:
Team Best -0.25 GF/GA Diff per 60
Team Best Off Zone finish 53.6%
Team Best Zone start/finish differential
Biggest Corsi On/Off differential

3rd highest Defensive Zone Start, but the Highest Offensive Zone finish

I wouldn't say it was short, but it was a schooling nonetheless

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
i dont choose when to rely solely on potential and ignore development flaws/dips

Right. You just take in years worth of data, analyze it, apply some mathematical formulas, and then your supercomputer-of-a-brain spits out objective, fundamental truths directly onto this hockey message board for all of us to quiver in awe of.

Yes, you do choose your opinions. You base them on your unique simplifications of complex data sets, just like the rest of us. Your opinions are no more valid because you express them with arrogance, they're just more arrogant.

and i dont think 3 seasons of post draft hockey is "insufficient data" with regards to allowing those seasons to impact other areas of "prospect rankings"... i.e. Development, Projection/Probability.

By "insufficient data" I was referring to the fact that the view of Armia has seemingly changed around here based on recent events... obviously. I apologize if I am misunderstanding your poorly worded sentence.

:rolleyes:
wow, what a stunning argument...

Ooh. Got him. Nice retort. I take back all the other things I said.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Right. You just take in years worth of data, analyze it, apply some mathematical formulas, and then your supercomputer-of-a-brain spits out objective, fundamental truths directly onto this hockey message board for all of us to quiver in awe of.

yes, i take in data, and you apparently roll with a label someone else gave a player a few years ago.

Yes, you do choose your opinions. You base them on your unique simplifications of complex data sets, just like the rest of us.

I choose my opinions??? :amazed:

Your opinions are no more valid because you express them with arrogance, they're just more arrogant.

they are more valid, when they are more informed. deal with it. don't call my opinion "silly" and then whine about arrogance.

By "insufficient data" I was referring to the fact that the view of Armia has seemingly changed around here based on recent events... obviously. I apologize if I am misunderstanding your poorly worded sentence.

apology accepted

Ooh. Got him. Nice retort. I take back all the other things I said.

the retort was equal to the statement

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Armia, add Bailey.
Hey Woodhouse, would you be open to a runoff so that our winner has at least a half/third of the votes? Assuming that's necessary.
I support this idea, accepting that it adds more work for him so no complaints if he doesn't want to bother
Well, we didn't have a runoff in the summer poll when Flynn and Tropp had less than a third of the vote and finished within a few votes of each other. I'll readdress it in the morning though, as there's at least 10-15 votes missing, so it's plausible one of Armia or Larsson could separate.

OcAirlines

Jul 18, 2009
I was pretty surprised that Grigorenko so easily made the Top-3. I voted Compher both for #3 and now, but it very close for me. Wouldn't have expect to see Larsson winning though, I just don't believe that his offensive play will transition to the NHL. But obviously this is just my personal opinion, I had Compher and McCabe over both Larsson and Armia.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Armia, add Bailey.

Well, we didn't have a runoff in the summer poll when Flynn and Tropp had less than a third of the vote and finished within a few votes of each other. I'll readdress it in the morning though, as there's at least 10-15 votes missing, so it's plausible one of Armia or Larsson could separate.

I really don't want to make more work for you, but just because it was done before...

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
The problem with the runoff is with the glut of prospects we have bunched up together, there's a good chance that several runoffs will be required as we fill out the list. What happens when in the next poll votes are split amongst 4-5 different players?

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Even cooler...3 identical ties..Armia and Larsson at 26, McCabe and Compher at 15 and Baptiste and Ullmark at 4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad