SHL: 2013-14 General SHL Discussion

SwissGrog

Oct 10, 2012
People mocking it aren't doing it as a slight towards Lugano or Switzerland, not at all, it's just that approximately zero Swedish kids grow up dreaming of playing in Switzerland.

Of course, I misinterpreted it. I wish NLA would be more attractive for your top-notch guys, I would so much prefer to see swedish SEL stars as import players instead of north-american AHL-scrubs. Swede rock hard and Lugano has a glorious tradition with it (ah the time back in the '80 with Slettvoll and Kent Johansson and then even Mats Näslund and Nylander playing for Lugano...good times. Now with Andersson behind the bench, Pettersson and Klasen on the ice...the love story continues.

To continue this slightly OT: what can you say to me about Klasen? Is it that good a goal scorer as it seems from YT and the statistics? How is his overall play? We are full of two-ways guys, really we just need someone that puts in goal I don't care if it floats à la Ovetschkin defensively.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Of course, I misinterpreted it. I wish NLA would be more attractive for your top-notch guys, I would so much prefer to see swedish SEL stars as import players instead of north-american AHL-scrubs. Swede rock hard and Lugano has a glorious tradition with it (ah the time back in the '80 with Slettvoll and Kent Johansson and then even Mats Näslund and Nylander playing for Lugano...good times. Now with Andersson behind the bench, Pettersson and Klasen on the ice...the love story continues.

To continue this slightly OT: what can you say to me about Klasen? Is it that good a goal scorer as it seems from YT and the statistics? How is his overall play? We are full of two-ways guys, really we just need someone that puts in goal I don't care if it floats à la Ovetschkin defensively.

He would definitely be considered an offensive guy and a point-producer. His work ethic and commitment has improved over the last couple of years, had a really great season this year. His main strengths are his ability to carry the puck up ice with control and distribute it, he's a great power play player and an underrated shooter as well. He's an elite offensive player on the European level and I'm fairly certain he'll be a very productive player for you as long as his heart is into it, which has not really been a problem as he's matured. Not physical or intense, but not really floating and takes more pride in being a consistent threat these days. I think you'll be very happy with the signing.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
For what it's worth, I read all I could find about Klasen on a Lugano fan forum and on local newspapers and I haven't seen any mention of the "dream" quote, despite being the kind of thing you'd expect a player to say to the fans he's joining, not the ones he's leaving. It could very well be a made up quote.

On the other hand I read that he didn't go to the KHL because he's afraid of flying. Not sure there is any truth to it either as he's had an NHL contract already.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
For what it's worth, I read all I could find about Klasen on a Lugano fan forum and on local newspapers and I haven't seen any mention of the "dream" quote, despite being the kind of thing you'd expect a player to say to the fans he's joining, not the ones he's leaving. It could very well be a made up quote.

On the other hand I read that he didn't go to the KHL because he's afraid of flying. Not sure there is any truth to it either as he's had an NHL contract already.

He said it to Swedish state television.

Q: How does if feel?
A: It's a wonderful feeling. As a little kid you had a lot of dreams and Lugano was one of those. Now that I got the chance I didn't have to think twice.

Klasen should be a point per game player in NLA.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
Apparantly Klasen was made fun off after his "dreamt of playing in Lugano" statement, and claims he was misquoted: "I didn't even ****ing know what Lugano was when I was a kid, think for **** sake". While I do believe he had no idea what Lugano was as a kid, he probably didn't think his first statement through. :laugh:

Ah well, good luck to him. He's a good player, will produce a lot of points in Lugano.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It seems the NHL Transfer Agreements have a little loophole in them. Kalpa sporting director Kimmo Kapanen complained in the papers today how they will not get anything if Artturi Lehkonen signs an NHL contract after a year or two with Frölunda. Normally the team or teams he played for in the last 3 seasons will split the transfer money but it seems moving to another country negates all that, so Frölunda will get all of that 175K€ when he signs an NHL contract.

svartgul

Hata Löven
May 9, 2007
Beyond the Infinite
www.northpower.nu
It seems the NHL Transfer Agreements have a little loophole in them. Kalpa sporting director Kimmo Kapanen complained in the papers today how they will not get anything if Artturi Lehkonen signs an NHL contract after a year or two with Frölunda. Normally the team or teams he played for in the last 3 seasons will split the transfer money but it seems moving to another country negates all that, so Frölunda will get all of that 175K€ when he signs an NHL contract.

That is ******** if that is the case but I guess the Swedish ice hockey federation didn't waste their energy thinking about other countries' hockey programs when they signed the new transfer agreement, or maybe they did but flat out doesn't want to share the money. If we switch it around the other way though, would a swedish club get any money if a swedish player ended up playing in Finland before signing with an NHL team? Or a Finnish player going to Switzerland etc? I'm not sure this is so much of a loophole as it's a deliberate calculation.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Believe this is because of the money being paid from the league to the respective country's hockey federation, so Sweden and Finland would have to solve something between the two federations. I'm sure if this becomes a big story they will have to work something out for future cases.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That is ******** if that is the case but I guess the Swedish ice hockey federation didn't waste their energy thinking about other countries' hockey programs when they signed the new transfer agreement, or maybe they did but flat out doesn't want to share the money. If we switch it around the other way though, would a swedish club get any money if a swedish player ended up playing in Finland before signing with an NHL team? Or a Finnish player going to Switzerland etc? I'm not sure this is so much of a loophole as it's a deliberate calculation.

Actually Ässät from Pori got an unexpected surprise a few years ago when they got the full transfer amount for Tom Wandell who only played one season on their 4th line before signing an NHL contract. So it goes both ways. :laugh:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I remember the Danes complaining that they got nothing from Fredrik Andersen since he went to Frölunda for a year and then the NHL.

The nordic countries should work something out, can't be that hard. It's not like the Swedish clubs pick up a norwegian because they get all the eventual transfer money.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Too bad the final series isn't that excited to watch this year either. Saik is impressive tho.

Really interested to see how well Skellefteå will play against other teams in the Champions Hockey League! They feel like the best team in Europe, but are they?

Sorry for doublepost!

Pgust

Nov 19, 2013
Stockholm
Really interested to see how well Skellefteå will play against other teams in the Champions Hockey League! They feel like the best team in Europe, but are they?

Sorry for doublepost!

Would be fun seeing them play against some KHL teams, don't think they're best in Europe though.

Gaaaasp, would rather have seen Växjö play against SAIK than Färjestad.

XO

Nov 4, 2009
Best team I've ever seen in the Sweden since I started following hockey in the 90's. It's crazy how good they are.

SurMartin

Jul 26, 2010
København/Skellefteå
600.jpg

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Best team I've ever seen in the Sweden since I started following hockey in the 90's. It's crazy how good they are.

Imo FBK 2002 was better. Even do it was best of 5 after the qf´s.

Congratulations to SAIK. Worthy winners yet again. Their youth development and their imports are all top notch. A joy to watch them play with their speed and strength.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg

Congratulations to SAIK. Worthy winners yet again. Their youth development and their imports are all top notch. A joy to watch them play with their speed and strength.

Oh hell no, they've swept two straight final series now.

XO

Nov 4, 2009

Well, that was a great team as well, but I put this team of Skellefteå above them. Frölunda with their 04-05 team should be mentioned as well I guess.

Congr...atula...tio...ns to Skellefteå AIK and there fans. I'm amazed of what they've built. I was born and raised in Umeå, so although I'm a fan of MODO Hockey I've always liked Björklöven as well, so this certainly stings a bit. It wasn't that long ago I used to watch lots of derbys between Björklöven and Skellefteå in Allsvenskan, and now this...

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Yeah, I'm no SAIK fan but this is easily the most dominant team i've seen in the SHL since I started watching in the late 90's

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad